i30 Owners Club

Car lock symbol in dashboard Hyundai I30

uday · 71 · 49010

Offline uday

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
HI,

My car model is Hyundai i30 2008 model. Today when I try to start the car it is not starting up.It is showing lock symbol inside car in dash board.

I am not able to find any clue why this happened ? I am not able to remove the lock.

Can you please suggest

Best Regards
Uday
  • Hyundai i30 CW

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Hi Uday,

Could it be that the immobiliser is still on.  Try locking the car with the remote, then unlocking it with the remote. 

And, welcome the i30OwnersClub!!

FatBoy

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Your remote battery in the key holder may be flat, as it is a 2008 car.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welc1  :whsaid: I also suspect the immobilizer. Do you have another key you can try? Also try lubricating the ignition lock (I seem to remember someone saying that can help (Graphite powder is probably the best thing) :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :welcum:

Yes, sounds like an immobilizer issue to me too.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Welcome uday.
Light does sound like immobiliser light.
I'll assume you vehicle is cranking but not starting?
Key battery won't effect immobiliser if it is unlocking normally. The transponder chip inbuilt in the key is excited by the antenna coil which is the black ring around the key barrel.
My guess is that antenna coil is possibly the cause of your no start with immobiliser light on.
I recommend getting a DTC check.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome uday.
Light does sound like immobiliser light.
I'll assume you vehicle is cranking but not starting?
Key battery won't effect immobiliser if it is unlocking normally. The transponder chip inbuilt in the key is excited by the antenna coil which is the black ring around the key barrel.
My guess is that antenna coil is possibly the cause of your no start with immobiliser light on.

It's good to have you on board.    :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Recently had trouble with my key when the front three button rubber cover fell off. It was three years old and was worn through. Hyundai said I could not purchase the small rubber cover only and would need to buy a complete key for $450.
I found a complete key, less the electronics, on Ebay for $8 so I ordered two. They duly arrived and are exactly the same as the Hyundai original key. I transferred the rubber cover and it is now like new.
I have been told it is not difficult to transfer the electronics to the new housing and  Mr Minute in the local supermarket said they will cut the blade if necessary but it is simple to transfer the old blade. I have dismantled one of the new keys and it does look simple.
Certainly will not be paying $450 for a Key from Hyundai
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Hornet, ridiculous difference in cost isn't it!  :victory:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Dazzler, Quite correct about the cost being excessive. I just saw the price for the i30 FOB key on Ebay has been reduced to $6.74 , look here.

:link: Folding Remote KEY Case FOR Hyundai I20 I30 Flip FOB 3 BTN | eBay

I am told that the rubber button cover is a problem with most FOB keys but the replacement covers are available for other makes. A friend recently purchased one for his near new Holden Commodore. He said they were available at Super Cheap but they had no Hyundai type.

I am glad I now have a spare because I will need one in another few years time and unless Hyundai or after market retailers make them available our only way to avoid the $450 Hyundai rip off is to buy one from Ebay

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ex-member Rusty and a few others had the same issue as you when trying to claim them on warranty (thank God for Ebay/online shopping)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I just bought one, as a spare.  :razz:

Offline uday

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
Thanks a lot for your responses. I have a spare key. I tried with that as well. I am having the same problem. It is trying to start but not starting. My garage is far from my place. I need at least temporary solution so that at least I can take my car to garage to solve the issue :-(

Best Regards
Uday
  • Hyundai i30 CW

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just a suggestion

Disconnect the battery for 20 to 30 minutes to reset the ecu.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Also try giving the ignition lock a tap with a  small hammer before reinserting the key and trying again..  :cool:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I thought a blank key without electronics, with the blade cut to suit the door lock, would allow one to unlock the drivers door,  insert that key into the steering lock start the motor then drive away. This would enable me to tie a blank key without electronics under the car so that if I lost the proper electronic key I could use the other one without electronics and get out of trouble.
The way I read things here is that unless the electronics are in the ignition key, it will not start the motor and I could be stranded in any remote area.
Have I misread this and is my concern unnecessary?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You are correct. The blank key will admit you to the car but will not allow the engine to fire. However. a spare key with electronics could be stored securely inside the vehicle, subject to insurance approval, I guess. Our earlybird surfer, has a simple key, minus electronics, which goes into the water, I believe.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire

Offline uday

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
I just have consulted one garage owner. He is going to look the issue. But he is suggesting to check with Hyundai showroom. They will know exact solution for this problem.

I will wait today.If he is not able find the solution then no other go. I need to consult Hyundai support team to solve this issue. I already have tried disconnecting battery and other options. Nothing is working out :-(. Bad way of starting my new year  :(

Best Regards
Uday
  • Hyundai i30 CW

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Don't overlook this VERY sound advice.

Offline uday

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
Thanks Lorian. I will check. Can any one advice me what is this DTC check how this can be checked ?

Best Regards
Uday
  • Hyundai i30 CW

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
DTC " Diagnostic Trouble Codes " you can get these checked at your local Hyundai service centre.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I have an OBD2 USB connection lead and software on a laptop PC. If I just plug it into the i30 it should give me any fault codes. Is that correct? A mechanic told me that it may not give specific Hyundai codes but it will read all generic codes and can do no harm to the car.
At this time I am reluctant to interfere with the car computer system but if it can do no harm I will give it a go. 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Do it, as it is only reading, not writing. Post the codes here and we may be able to determine which ones they are.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thanks Phil,
I will do it but not today. When I plug it into the car do I just turn on the ignition, start the engine then let the software do it's thing.
Thanks for your support.
What a great source of information this Club is, I hope in time I will be able to pass on information to help other members with their i30's however , we really do not have many problems with this great car.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, get engine running and use the software to capture codes, not sure whether they are stored or just displayed, either way, get a record and we'll see how we go.

Offline uday

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
Garage guy tried various options. He still failed to start. As per your suggestion I have asked him do DTS check up. He did today. It seems he has received some code but he is not aware of what actually problem is based on the code.

Any idea how do we find out the cause of the problem based on the code. Can you guys suggest. I know Hyundai repair center can help. But is there any way we ourselves can find out based on the code ?

Best Regards
Uday
  • Hyundai i30 CW

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Ummm... what's the code?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

nulda
Problem with this symbol can be in connector EM11. There condense water and connector is oxidizing.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Some information here might help. I have not studied the info but I do not think it has Hyundai specific codes

:link: Trouble-Codes

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal