What Google knows about you – and what you can do about it

eye30 · 9 · 1588

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
 Google is best known for its search engine, but it also offers a wide range of free services like its suite of online applications that make the internet a much more productive place.

Of course, it doesn’t just offer these tools out of the goodness of its corporate heart.

In reality, the company uses these free services to collect data about the people who use them, which it then uses to sell advertising space - and advertising is where 90% of Google’s money comes from.

In some cases, you can stop Google collecting data about what you do online and delete any existing data it may already have. You just need to know where to look.

:link: What Google knows about you ? and what you can do about it - BT
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I must study this at some stage...  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Google is best known for its search engine, but it also offers a wide range of free services like its suite of online applications that make the internet a much more productive place.

Of course, it doesn’t just offer these tools out of the goodness of its corporate heart.

In reality, the company uses these free services to collect data about the people who use them, which it then uses to sell advertising space - and advertising is where 90% of Google’s money comes from.

In some cases, you can stop Google collecting data about what you do online and delete any existing data it may already have. You just need to know where to look.

:link: What Google knows about you ? and what you can do about it - BT

This is far from new, it is not just google either.... 

The solution is amazingly simple and can be implemented very easily, even the most non tech person can prevent any of this by doing the following :-

Unplug the computer, modem/router and monitor and re-box them all then throw them in the bin.   I guarantee that Google and indeed no-one else will get any further online info about you.

As for me, I don't give a sh1t, I have an advanced call blocker phone, which asks each caller to identify themselves before connecting them  :winker:...   And I proceed with caution on the web.  Job sorted   :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There is no anonymity on the net and like asa said these issues are nothing new either, years ago I used to add all the google services to my list of blocked services in my anti-virus but it was never ending :Pout: even not using the Google browser doesn't stop it as Google have there fingers into every avenue of the web as do Bing ( Microsoft ) and many 1000's of 3rd party tracking collectors.

Best thing you can do ( aside from pulling the plug ) to restrict their nosy behaviour is tick the "do not track" option in your browser and install a good ad blocker - Adguard is the best I've come across but it's a paid service though they do offer life time licenses, AdBlock Plus is another that is highly rated, and it's free :)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:51:50 by CraigB »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Google Ghostery. I use it to kill off all trackers. It's also how I found Photobucket used 43 trackers on you every time you go there last time I looked. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Google Ghostery. I use it to kill off all trackers. It's also how I found Photobucket used 43 trackers on you every time you go there last time I looked. :victory:
Thanks Gonz (I might try that if it is free) I don't pay for apps / programs if I can help it (Craig's recommendations are paid ones!)  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I doubt you'll ever find me recommending a paid app. :whistler:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah Ghostery is a good free one that will help, NoScript is another free app to block even more crap, I use IE as my browser so I require a different setup "hence" the paid apps :) If they're life time licenses I'm willing to purchase quality programs like Adguard and Malwarebytes :goodjob2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
AdBockPlus, NoScript and Ghostery are my three. :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal