i30 Owners Club

Carbon Build up

Offline Tracyr74

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi there
I've got a 2013 model unleaded Elite model and have a problem with it.  Was driving and found the muffler billowing out with blue smoke.  Called Roadside and they said it was oil in the exhaust and engine had a miss.  Vehicle was towed to a dealership who said it had a carbon build up.  Filled up the car with high octane full as always went fine on freeway.  came home and it played up. 

Cars still got a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust.  If anyone could offer advise would be appreciated
  • Hyundai I30 Elite Auto unleaded fuel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It would be handy if we knew how many kms and what type of driving you do mostly.
Has the car been serviced at Hyundai dealership and how long ago  :question:

Very hard to say what the problem is. Based on the info so far, we'd be guessing mostly.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Tracey
To me it sounds like a valve stem seal leaking, could be a broken piston ring but I don't think so , as you have said you use premium fuel so would not or should not have detonation.
With over head cam they always have lot of oil in the head, if you have a bad valve stem seal it lets oil rin down the valve stem into combustion chamber causing some smoke & carbon build up from burnt oil as burns dirty, also the oil in the fuel lowers the fuel octane, but I would think it would not be all cylinders just one.
You could check this by removing spark plugs looking at them.
Good luck as its only two year old your covered

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Tracy, Maybe they are wrong and it is dirty fuel (although if that were the case you would have to go after the garage and not after the warranty)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Blue smoke generally means burning oil, like Lakes says valve stem oil seal or worn valve guide or piston ring broke they are the most common cause's for blue smoke.
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Online pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Oil from Auto Transm getting into engine?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal