i30 Owners Club

Rubber and plastics fading

Offline Leepylea

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith, NSW
I just bought a second hand i30 wagon black and although I love the car i am very disappointed in the look of the rubber at the base of the window. It is dull has white spots and really needs some reconditioning. I have tried armour all no good. Then tried peanut butter even though this tip was for plastic. Lasted one day then the oil run down the paintwork. Then tried tyre foam. Still not great. Any idea for what next has to be easy after all I'm only female lol so painting or changing them out of question. Btw the plastic behind the bonnet below the window is sun damaged also.
  • 2010 i30 wagon

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Perhaps you can consider WURTH product No. 0893 280 1, 0893 221, 0890 110. These are for plastic and rubber.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Leepylea,

You can get special stuff to rejuvenate black trim (Supercheap have 3 products) Hope this link works.. You do have to apply it carefully and sparingly though...

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/car-care-and-cleaning/car-care/exterior-trim/tyre-care.aspx?id=20203&articleType=Exterior%20Detailing

Autobarn and Repco would have similar products. Tyre shine works better than tyre foam too...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Bonza_Beauty_Mate!

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have a similar issue, although I think my trim isn't as bad as the 1st post mention..
I'll be going and trying that Back to Black product ...
  • 2009 i30 5 door Hatch. RED

Offline Leepylea

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith, NSW

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Better going for some of the dedicated products, a lot of the motor factors stock sprays which go everywhere and longevity of the products is pretty limited, resulting in having to do it all again quite quickly and having to clean the surrounding bodywork/windows after use.

For window rubbers I use Tyre & Trim gel, applied with a foam applicator, recently changed to Autobrite Direct's version but was impressed with Greased Lightning's also.  Another good one is Autoglym's.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
For the black plastics on the bumper and grill I'll use the Meguiars Black Trim Sponges and for all the other plastic trim internal and external - dash - scuff panels -roof rails - mirror surround - window edging - aerial I'll use the Meguiars Protectant Wipes.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Tip for you all

You know those magic sponges for household use?  They are called Doctor Power in the UK.

Cut a piece off and damp it - works wonders on those scuff marks on the Hyundai/Kia interior plastics which are prone to showing them.

Much cheaper than Meguiars wipes etc
:link: Auto Car Soft Magic Sponge Cleaner Cleansing Eraser White: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Much cheaper than Meguiars wipes etc
I like my Meguiars :) when used in cars that get hot the evaporation from the cleaner protectant doesn't give of fumes or leave oily residue on the windows, and one container of wipes last me a year ( two wipe cloths every 2 or 3 car washes )

Offline jesam

• 2nd Gear

• cy Cyprus
      kyrenia
Toothbrush with hot soppy water to get all the grime off when dry i use son of a gun do this once a mouth and it will look factory finished  :happydance:
  • hyundai i30 2008 crdi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well I know this is slightly off topic, but I reviewed those magic sponges on youtube and bought a pack of 10 for £2.48 from eBay.

Looks like they could do a job on the faded rubber/plastics too...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline jesam

• 2nd Gear

• cy Cyprus
      kyrenia

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Not slating Meguiars Craig, I think their stuff is great for the mid-low range market, some folks would be put off by the price for some of their stuff though, not everybody wants to spend the bucks keeping their second most expensive purchase looking tip-top  :confused:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I bought these last month because they were delivered from UK. I didn't find any cheaper other than those sent from China

:link: 10 Pack Magic Cleaning Sponge Magic Eraser Stain Remover Pad Uk Seller New | eBay
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Our "$2" shops sell them cheap (not sure if the quality varies much, but they do seem to work quite well.)  :goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I bought these last month because they were delivered from UK.
Same set that I just bought, priced a little higher. Hadn't heard of them before...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not slating Meguiars Craig, I think their stuff is great for the mid-low range market, some folks would be put off by the price for some of their stuff though, not everybody wants to spend the bucks keeping their second most expensive purchase looking tip-top  :confused:
I find their stuff quite cheap actually, $15 a year for the wipes :winker: it's a high line product at an affordable price for all vehicle ranges and I know there products last longer which is why it's better to pay a little more for quality sometimes.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I find their stuff quite cheap actually, $15 a year for the wipes :winker: it's a high line product at an affordable price for all vehicle ranges and I know there products last longer which is why it's better to pay a little more for quality sometimes.

And if you can catch their stuff on special at Repco or Supercheap it helps too!  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal