i30 Owners Club

Rattling rear view mirror - Solved

Lorian · 7 · 4844

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
So after all this time I finally got the rattling rear-view mirror.

I slid it off and had a look, it was due to a small metal rolled-edge under the plastic at the bottom having separated a little from the glass.

I tapped it lightly along the edge with a hammer (and block of soft wood so It wouldn't mark).

All good now, back to silent  :victory:

If you try this yourself don't blame me if you break it!

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
How does the rear view mirror slide off exactly? Is yours the autochromatic version? Sorry, I am unaware of the spec levels over there and if they differ from ours :mrgreen:

I have the rattle as well but mine seems to be more a squeak coming from the front and rear halves of the mirror itself - if I press them together with my hand they creak but the buzzing/rattling sound goes away.
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I may have been guilty of fixing a symptom and not the fault. You probably don't need to tighten up the rim around the glass.
Although the noise had gone I noticed the mirror was still visually vibrating a little. So I pulled it off again, centred the spring, put a small felt pad under the spring and duct taped it in place. No noise or vibration now. This alone probably will cure the noise.

To get the mirror off I hold it in both hands, one each side, with palms on the mirror  palms facing the screen.  A sharpish push towards where the screen meets the dash is required to persuade the spring to allow the two parts to slide apart. You are effectively pushing down and away from you.

Do be careful, get it wrong and damage could be done to the screen.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I found a pic from someone on a Russian ceed forum, that shows they did a similar sort of thing, except they filled theirs with Silicon, that seems like quite a good idea to fix it too.

credits to: :link: ????????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ???? - kia ceed ????, ?????

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
So effectively, I'll be pushing the mirror parallel with the slope of the windscreen if I understand things correctly? :)
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

So effectively, I'll be pushing the mirror parallel with the slope of the windscreen if I understand things correctly? :)
Yes, Parallel.
if you push lightly you will see it move 1 or 2 mm quite easily, before the spring stops it, that will give you confidence you are pushing the right way. you'll see the two small lugs just start to protrude.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal