i30 Owners Club

photo's

Johnno · 20 · 11873

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Here's what's left of my photo's after my HD packed in, just finished putting what's left into photobucket

:link: John Pinna's (tfc475) Library | Photobucket

• 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow, that's a comprehensive collection! I am a bit paranoid about backing up my photos in particular...

My Western Digital NAS drive was getting noisy after 3 years so I cloned the content on to a new Seagate equivalent ( cost less than $200) I am currently running both.

Sorry to hear of your loss!  :(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I actually got a error msg in windows telling me to back up my files as a error as occurred and it might not be able to recover, so I left it till the next day to back all my files up and when i come to start the pc up a msg came up hard drive failure cannot find C/ OS so i binned it, should of backed up as soon as I got the msg

The one's what i've lost is motogp & GP1 and my earlier days watching Sheene and Ago, Doohan all that era, even Rocket Ron Haslem when he was a club racer before he made in motogp, had a few jars with him in the pub night before a race :Shocked:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 21:00:49 by Johnno »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The data could still be recoverable if you can be bothered. :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
The data could still be recoverable if you can be bothered. :idea:

I've ditched the drive, I tried it in a docking station but I couldn't access it so it went straight in the bin

Them photo's in bucket were mostly on a couple of dongle's which I did backup but never got round to doing the rest

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Must be the season for hard drive failure as I had a warning similar to Johnno's the other day.  :Pout:

In my case though I was able to back everything up...  :sweating:

Although, If it had of failed it wouldn't have been the end of the world as it only contained movies, of which I do have back ups of on other drives....  :D

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Wow, that's a comprehensive collection! I am a bit paranoid about backing up my photos in particular...

My Western Digital NAS drive was getting noisy after 3 years so I cloned the content on to a new Seagate equivalent ( cost less than $200) I am currently running both.

Sorry to hear of your loss!  :(

Daz what do these nas drive's do compared to a normal drive?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
what do these nas drive's do compared to a normal drive?
Easier to link than explain :D :link: What Is an NAS Drive? | eHow

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

what do these nas drive's do compared to a normal drive?
Easier to link than explain :D :link: What Is an NAS Drive? | eHow

Without reading the link, I believe they use long life hard drives in the all in one units like I've got. I love the fact I have a central point to back up all my devices without leaving my Main PC running. Obviously this also gives me a media server for all my devices (a win/win situation) Western DIgital , Seagate and others have sizeable all in one Nas drives for under A$200. They are very easy to set up too...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A more modern solution nowadays is wireless hard drives :link: Wireless Plus: Mobile Storage To Stream Your Media | Seagate

Can't really see the benefit over NAS Craig? I can access my NAS from anywhere in the world if I want to set that feature up.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The benefit is it doesn't have to be connected to the router though you still can if you wish to convert to a NAS setup and it's portable so you can take it with you anywhere in the world :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I heard that security for nas drives was a bit sus. Is this true. Doesn't the device simply rely on the router password to protect it from invasion.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I heard that security for nas drives was a bit sus. Is this true. Doesn't the device simply rely on the router password to protect it from invasion.

Not sure!  :undecided:

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Thanks guy's I'll have a look at both idea's, all I want is to store my photo's and my camcorder video's what's left of them, nothing else.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'd just go for a normal 2.5" external hard drive, less stuffing around and you can just take it with you if you don't want to leave it home to be stolen or destroyed by fire etc etc.......  :)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I use a 2.5 1 TB USB3 hard drive for my weekly Acronis back-up which I hide in the garage.

The garage is in a communal block of garages remote from my house - so I am fire and theft secure.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery

Not sure!  :undecided:

The correct answer is, depends on how secure your network is since the NAS is a network attached storage device. If you leave a big hole on the edge of your network, nothing is going to be safe from the unscrupulous.

Regarding wireless, don't go there.  It's wifi and going to take you a dogs age to download/copy video. It has USB3 which is nice but a portable drive is just that, portable, something easily lost or stolen. Use it to copy from your cams on the go and the put it all on the NAS when you get home.

As I suggested above, an ideal solution is a wired NAS, preferably with redundant drives and a wired portable storage device for when you are on the go. If you are super cautious like Alan, then offsite storage is also an option. If you have a gigabit backbone, file transfer is very fast, especially compared to wifi.

I prefer these: :link: Synology - Network Attached Storage (NAS)

They are built on a Linux operating system, very reliable and easy to live with.

Regarding cloud stuff: :link: DSM 5.1 - Cloud & Productivity - Synology - Network Attached Storage (NAS)
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Regarding wireless, don't go there.  It's wifi and going to take you a dogs age to download/copy video.
Unless the wifi is AC 5Ghz compatible like mine is then transfers between computer and wireless hard drives is 300mbps, not as fast as my direct usb3 connection but still much faster than any usb2 connection.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 16:32:06 by CraigB »

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
The drive supports n @ 150Mbps. It's slow and will drive you mad if you are copying video across on the wireless. USB3 is up to 640MBps. My video cam creates 4G of data per 20 minutes and it takes a long time to get it off the camera with usb3. If it were wireless I can't imagine how long it might take, the math suggests about 10 times as long. I still think wired NAS for maximum performance and the wireless box for storage on the fly. But that's just my perspective.  :)

:link: Seagate Wireless Plus review - CNET

• i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal