i30 Owners Club

I must get out more.

John B · 30 · 7544

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Booked the car in for a 12 month service and it has only done 4900 km. Problem is where I live has every thing close by, beautiful beaches, loads of shopping centres, lots of entertainment,Brisbane is only 50 min up the motorway, Hinterland is only a short distance. Might have to pay my Brother a visit in Adelaide that should loosen up the engine.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This time next year, they'll want to change the spark plugs.  :Shocked:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hey John, she'll last a lifetime. 
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: John B
Booked the car in for a 12 month service and it has only done 4900 km.

I've almost covered that distance in the hire car I got 3 days ago :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
! do a couple of thousand in a bit over a week when we go on holidays!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I do a thousand a week every week.   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

My maintenance book states change the spark plugs  every 160,000 km, or more frequently depending on the conditions  ( A ) Repeatedly driving short distances of less than 8 km in normal temperatures.     
(B) Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances. (H) Towing a trailer or using a camper on a roof rack. (I) Driving as a patrol vehicle, taxi,or vehicle towing. (L) Frequently driving in stop -and - go conditions. Does not state how frequent to change . I wonder if just sitting in the garage counts. :undecided: The 2014 GD must have platinum plugs. I will have to ask some questions next week when in for service.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hey John, she'll last a lifetime.

That should not be to hard at my age . :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

My maintenance book states change the spark plugs  every 160,000 km, or more frequently depending on the conditions  ( A ) Repeatedly driving short distances of less than 8 km in normal temperatures.     
(B) Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances. (H) Towing a trailer or using a camper on a roof rack. (I) Driving as a patrol vehicle, taxi,or vehicle towing. (L) Frequently driving in stop -and - go conditions. Does not state how frequent to change . I wonder if just sitting in the garage counts. :undecided: The 2014 GD must have platinum plugs. I will have to ask some questions next week when in for service.

Ah Platinum, 160k sounds good.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Just did a search and found this information from our friend Cruiserfield.   After MY12  spark plugs changed to Iridium. :goodjob2:

• Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Quote from: John B
Booked the car in for a 12 month service and it has only done 4900 km.

I've almost covered that distance in the hire car I got 3 days ago :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: Steve England aint big enough to do that sort of mileage in three days is it  :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Geez John I do that every four weeks
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Geez John I do that every four weeks

That is the trouble with retirement Rick, I must get up earlier and go out for a drive instead of lying in bed all day .  :snigger: ( I don't really, I just made that up honest )
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I lie in bed half the day too, John...but I've still managed to put 95,000k on my i30 (while retired) in 5 years of ownership...  :D

Me thinks you need to do some road trips!

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I lie in bed half the day too, John...but I've still managed to put 95,000k on my i30 (while retired) in 5 years of ownership...  :D

Quite right. I think as I mentioned, a trip to Adelaide might be in order. Probably make a good holiday out of it and take about 3 weeks there and 3 weeks back. I  mean sight seeing not driving slowly. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That will be a nice little drive.... :goodjob:

I'd recommend not going via the coast though as you'll be driven insane with the constant changes in speed....

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
That will be a nice little drive.... :goodjob:

I'd recommend not going via the coast though as you'll be driven insane with the constant changes in speed....

Thanks for the tip Rusty. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Quite right. I think as I mentioned, a trip to Adelaide might be in order. Probably make a good holiday out of it and take about 3 weeks there and 3 weeks back. I  mean sight seeing not driving slowly. :snigger:

John Sue and I did that in 2011 when we got Bruce not even a week old when we headed off,first four days knocked up the first 1000K's got him serviced and headed off,as I have family in just about every state,most of our accommodation was pretty cheap,headed across the paddock,up through the guts once we hit Kapunda SA(old town we'll lived in and my sister still does)took four days to get to Brisbane,spent a few days there then headed up to Hervey Bay,spent a few weeks with The Daughter Grandkids and the newest one born a few days before we got there and the drop kick partner,then when we were finished up there back to Brissie for a few more days,then meandered down through the states to Melbourne visiting some of my old stomping grounds,then headed back through Adelaide,visited family there,then back across the paddock to home,loved it great trip,14,500K's in eight weeks
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 16:21:30 by Just Rick »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
3 weeks  each way means you'll be stopping and starting so I doubt the speed limits will be an issue.
I personally prefer the coast road.
But you can go down one way and back the other as we did a few years ago.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

John Sue and I did that in 2011 when we got Bruce not even a week old when we headed off,first four days knocked up the first 1000K's got him serviced and headed off,as I have family in just about every state,most of our accommodation was pretty cheap,headed across the paddock,up through the guts once we hit Kapunda SA(old town we'll lived in and my sister still does)took four days to get to Brisbane,spent a few days there then headed up to Hervey Bay,spent a few weeks with The Daughter Grandkids and the newest one born a few days before we got there and the drop kick partner,then when we were finished up there back to Brissie for a few more days,then meandered down through the states to Melbourne visiting some of my old stomping grounds,then headed back through Adelaide,visited family there,then back across the paddock to home,loved it great trip,14,500K's in eight weeks

Wow 14,500 km in 8 weeks What a great trip, now that's what you call running a new engine in. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
3 weeks  each way means you'll be stopping and starting so I doubt the speed limits will be an issue.

Great idea I will give that a go. Thought about getting a small pop up tent to cut down on accommodation cost but it probably won't happen, now I am getting on a bit I have enough trouble getting dressed in the house let alone in a 1.2mtr high tent. Probably end up in cabins or motels. :)
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I found slowing to 50kph for pretty much every town a pain...trouble is, towns tend to occur pretty often down the coast...that and kilometre after kilometre of road works at road work speed limits... :fum:
Then again, if you're not in a rush and you wanna play tourist then that may not bother you...  :undecided:

Me? I'd much rather do the inland route....higher average speeds and way way less kilometres too.  :)
Just as an example,I think it was something like an extra 600ks from South Gippsland to Townsville via the Coast compared to travelling inland...  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid:

We just did over 2100 km loop around southern NSW and I sure got sick of the road works!  :fum: I know they are a necessary evil, but combined with the town speed limits, they are a bit frustrating!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
If I were you John, i'd take full advantage of that great country of yours and head straight west till i hit the coast  :) That'll get things run in well! I'd live in Auz in a heart beat if I didn't have such a good job here in Kiwiland!
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Wow, that would be some trip.I reckon if I did that I would end up some where near Carnarvon in W.A,  over 10.000 km round trip. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Wow, that would be some trip.I reckon if I did that I would end up some where near Carnarvon in W.A,  over 10.000 km round trip. :goodjob2:

Just head a bit more south and you'd run into me.   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Not literally I hope. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe

10000km! Is is a big country isn't it  :D May be a nice trip to the rock and back or up to Darwin would be nice. I'm closer to you here in Auckland than Perth is to you...
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
No doubt about ,if you have the time and money and the urge to travel this is the place. :happydance:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal