i30 Owners Club

I30 GD Touring Wagon Brake Pads

tristan00 · 33 · 10228

Offline tristan00

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hallett Cove, SA
Hi Guys,
I have a desel I30 and the factory brake pads are way too Soft. I have been told this is normal only to get 25k out of both front and Rear- I dont think this is right???? :disapp: :disapp: :disapp: :disapp:
Any one else had the same problems???
I was going to go aftermarket but dont know.
Any help would be great.
Cheers,

• i30 wagon 2013 CRDi

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Guys,
I have a desel I30 and the factory brake pads are way too Soft. I have been told this is normal only to get 25k out of both front and Rear- I dont think this is right???? :disapp: :disapp: :disapp: :disapp:
Any one else had the same problems???
I was going to go aftermarket but dont know.
Any help would be great.
Cheers,
Welcome aboard Tristan.
I'll let some diesel owners comment but IIRC most are getting over 100,000 klms. 25K F & R is ridiculously low under any circumstances.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tristan00

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hallett Cove, SA
That is eaxctly what I thought- they said I was lucky apparently ix35 owners are doing rotors nad pads @ 18k.
It is a 2013 if that helps too.
Also Hyundai dont want to know anything and said that because they had passed 18k that all they warrant them for.
  • i30 wagon 2013 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Not correct at all.

We have 2 Diesel's in our family 1 @ 90k and 1 60k both on original pads & rotors. Suggest you use a different dealership. Or investigate why the pads are shot so early. Is it your driving style. What year is your car and have you had it since new and properly serviced.

After a 20 minute drive, feel each wheel at the centre and note how much heat there is. Normally, they should be just warm, never hot to touch. Fronts slightly warmer as they do most braking, steering and some heat transfer from the transmission.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline tristan00

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hallett Cove, SA
HI,
Its a GD 2013 wagon,
Does not carry more than 30kg in the boot of the car, went to hyundai nailsworth and adrian brian both are saying that is normal for the new body shape- which I do not believe, even hyundai said that they only warrent 20k on factory pads now. They emit huge amounts of brake dust- I think they are just too soft, and they dont want to fix the problem. They did say to counter it they have dropped the price to $169 per set, so obviously there is a problem.
I have always had dealer serviced and regular intervals- I dont ride the brakes- I have plenty of new cars over the years, and this is by far the worst for brakes. I normally average 40k per calender year. and easily manage 90k-110k out of set of brake pads.
  • i30 wagon 2013 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We have a member cruiserfied who is #5 Hy tech in Australia. Hopefully he will be able to verify whether your dealer info is correct or not. That still doesn't sound correct though. As a manufacturer, why would you change pads to make them so short lived and damage a very good reputation. That's one area that I believed Hy had pretty much sorted, perfectly.

Offline tristan00

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hallett Cove, SA
Mate I totally agree I have owned a few hyundai's and have been pleased with them, but the way I was treated by one of the hyundai Australia and the two separate service centers was a bit of a joke. I think doing oil changes then a brake pad change just 5k after a service is way too short, and the way they said its "Normal" was a bit worrying. Hopefully #5 hy tech will be able to provide some details.
  • i30 wagon 2013 CRDi

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hi Tristan.
To be honest in 10 years the only Hyundai I've know to wear brakes quickly were XD Elantra rears, 45000km.
It's something I often joke about with the Toyota guys as they are constantly replacing pads.
25000km is not what I would consider as normal. I would expect a lot more from normal driving conditions.
Not a lot I can really suggest unfortunately.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
25000 km for a set of brakes is a joke.

I have a FD, but anyway: I changed the rear pads @ 172000 km and the front @ 192000 km, have now 228000 on the odo and they're not even half worn yet. I bought the car @ 126000 km and at that time the pads wasn't new either. Do notice that I also tow 1400 kg caravan minimum 4000 km each year.

When I was at a VW dealer we had a costumer who did emergency / first responce driving. Those cars could wear a set of brakes in 30.000 km, but i think that's expectable, but definitely not a normal family car.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...I have been told this is normal only to get 25k out of both front and Rear...

Utter bollox  :disapp:

...hyundai nailsworth and adrian brian both are saying that is normal for the new body shape...

Absolute bollox  :disapp:

I'd get your rotors/disks checked out before anything else.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Where was this car built Czech or Korea ?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
All Australian Tourers come out of Czech.

I have a CW with 132,000k on it, still on the original brake pads.

My wife's Hatch has 50,000km in more stop start driving. Still on the original set.

For mine, the fact that both the front and rear pads have worn at the same time should point to some sort of problem, I can't say that I have ever replaced 4 pads at once, whats the economy like? perhaps the the handbrake is not disengaging properly?

Even the Falcon's got 40-60k from the front set.....

I would seek an opinion from your state's auto group, and use that as a guide against them....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
There are a few possibilities here:

1. Pads are poor quality. The fact this is not a common issue, and that its happening both ends tends to rule this out
2. Dealer is trying it on, and they don't need replacing. The fact there is a lot of dust lends argument this is not the case
3. The user is riding the brake pedal, not so common I guess.
4. User is over zealous with a jet wash and the guide bolts have no grease left, allowing some binding to occur....

Might be a few others too, but I'd be ruling out number 4 and 2 as a first step before replacing anything.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
As Lorian said there's quite a few possibility's. Is the car manual or auto as the auto's as marginally more brake pad wear

also the driving conditions are another consideration, if you drive in heavy traffic a lot stopping and starting compared to someone who drives in light traffic few junctions or few traffic lights.

Also when was you was told about replacing the pads was it after a routine service? I'm asking because the techie that serviced your car will have to take into account if the pads will last till the next service you don't want them going down to the medal in between services so he will have to judge on the current state of pads.

Some manufactures have brake wear warning light and when the pads get down to the last couple of mm's the wire shorts out and the warning light comes on.

I've changed front pads on a vehicle that came in for it's first 1000 mile free service, but this was a extreme case as it was a traffic cop car  so it just shows how driving styles have a big impact on brake pad wear.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 23:27:18 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I've changed front pads
on a vehicle that came in for it's first 1000 mile free service, but this was a extreme case as it was a traffic cop car  so it just shows how driving styles have a big impact on brake pad wear.

You are joking! New pads after 1000 miles?

Edit:  Which Hyundai  has a 1000 mile  first service?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
VW?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire

I've changed front pads
on a vehicle that came in for it's first 1000 mile free service, but this was a extreme case as it was a traffic cop car  so it just shows how driving styles have a big impact on brake pad wear.

This was years ago back in the late 70's 80's and it wasn't a Hyundai. in them days the first 1000 mile service was a free one. This was classed as run in period .The first service comprised of oil and filter change and check all levels and a general check on mountings and suspension to make sure nothing as come loose.as there is more likely to metal swath still in the engine and then it was a visual check on suspension and drive train.
In todays manufacturing procedure and technology there is no need for this. Service schedule in them days for Jaguar,Rover, Triumph was 1000, 3000, 6000, 9000, 12000 or 1, 3,6,9,12 month period.
Please read my post again, I said this was a extreme case of brake pad wear and what your failing to take in, it was a police traffic vehicle and most likely a different driver everyday and them guys won't be pussy footing about in it.

hope this clears it up

Car in question was a Triumph 2500 tc

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 21:52:23 by Johnno »

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I've changed front pads

This was years ago back in the late 70's 80's and it wasn't a Hyundai. in them days the first 1000 mile service was a free one. This was classed as run in period .The first service comprised of oil and filter change and check all levels and a general check on mountings and suspension to make sure nothing as come loose.as there is more likely to metal swath still in the engine and then it was a visual check on suspension and drive train.
In todays manufacturing procedure and technology there is no need for this. Service schedule in them days for Jaguar,Rover, Triumph was 1000, 3000, 6000, 9000, 12000 or 1, 3,6,9,12 month period.
Please read my post again, I said this was a extreme case of brake pad wear and what your failing to take in, it was a police traffic vehicle and most likely a different driver everyday and them guys won't be pussy footing about in it.

hope this clears it up

Car in question was a Triumph 2500 tc

Sorry but I am not a mind reader so, as the thread was about i30 brakes, how would I know you had  regressed 30-40 years?  :wacko:

I assumed, not unreasonably, that you were referring to i30s which are in use by police forces.

And even so, back then, 1000 miles from a set of pads would be raising questions about the driver(s) or the car.

And off topic, back in the 60s/70s I used to demonstrate police cars to prospective customers. Driving to and from various police forces, despite the fact that roof light bars and signs were covered, everybody moved over as you came up behind them!  :D

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I'm not sure why this is specifically something for diesels or the Touring, but i must admit that i have never seen so much brake dust on my wheels in such a short period of time. It may be that there are suppliers delivering soft pads.

These days there are so many types of brake pad on the market with as many recipes. Car manufacturers could be making deals on price points over durability (not a gaurantee product).

• 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Sorry Baroudeur, didn't mean to sound stroppy  :-[

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm not sure why this is specifically something for diesels or the Touring, but i must admit that i have never seen so much brake dust on my wheels in such a short period of time. It may be that there are suppliers delivering soft pads.

These days there are so many types of brake pad on the market with as many recipes. Car manufacturers could be making deals on price points over durability (not a gaurantee product).

My wife's Tourer is a Petrol. certainly lots of brake dust. be interesting to see how the pads last (although she only does around 6000 kms a year) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My wife's Tourer is a Petrol. certainly lots of brake dust. be interesting to see how the pads last (although she only does around 6000 kms a year) :cool:
Probably the same pads as mine Dazz, I'm glad I bought black rims as they are very dusty :Shocked: but gee the pads pull up good :goodjob2:

I'd say Hyundai purposely use the softer pad to not only get better braking efficiency but your discs will last longer and Hyundai make more money on pad replacement.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Probably the same pads as mine Dazz, I'm glad I bought black rims as they are very dusty :Shocked: but gee the pads pull up good :goodjob2:

I'd say Hyundai purposely use the softer pad to not only get better braking efficiency but your discs will last longer and Hyundai make more money on pad replacement.

The brakes do have a nice feel.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Think I'd rather suffer slightly less braking efficiency and have clean rims and more money in my pocket....  :goodjob:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
But harder pads mean the rotors wear out more quickly.
And they cost a lot more than pads.

I must admit though, my pads are wearing well despite an excellent pedal feel.
And my alloy rims don't attract too much dust.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Like you said, it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue with the FD's...  :undecided:

Seems like Hyundai fixed something that wasn't broke with the Euro models sold here in Oz....

As for the cost of rotors, you can get a pair for around $100 on ebay which ain't so bad...

Realistically though, how many sets of rotors would you be likely to change in a vehicles life? I was still on the originals with my old Barina....admittedly they were pretty shagged after 420,000k...  :undecided:

Offline tristan00

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hallett Cove, SA
Sorry guys, been busy.
Just to answer a few questions
Its an auto diesel.
The brake pads are factory pads, and the ones they removed were down to indicators- as I asked them to keep the old ones so I could see.
I dont ride the brakes and as stated before I normally get between 90-110k before I even need to look at them.
I still have not seen a comment from the hy5 tech.
The first dealer was having me on a bit- as the pads grew 2mm after I got another dealership to check.
I still think they are way too soft- I am cleaning my rims every week. I have had factory service all the way through so I don't know?????
Has any one changed their this early and if you have what brand would you recommended as the factory ones appear to be total rubbish!!!!
Cheers,
  • i30 wagon 2013 CRDi

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I don't think I've come across a car that doesn't throw up a bit of brake dust onto the rims. My Volvo was a lot worse than the i30, maybe it might have something to do with the rims aerodynamics throwing more of it to the outside of the wheel.

One thing you could try is remove wheels and give them a good polish and wax inside and out, helps to reduce anything clinging to the rim

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal