i30 Owners Club

2014 i30 Active SE (Trophy) - Problem with HALO System

AJL77 · 26 · 7012

Offline AJL77

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hello all,

First time poster who would really appreciate some help with the following.

I have recently started experiencing the following problems which seem to relate to the HALO system on my 2014 i30 Active SE (rebadged Trophy edition) that I've only had for 4 months.

When the HALO system is set to automatically lock the doors based on speed, the doors lock correctly once the car reaches 20km/hr.

However once the doors have been locked the car will then re-attempt to lock the doors again (you can hear the locking sound 3 times in a row)
This sometimes happens 15-20 minutes into your journey, however it has also happened immediately after the doors have been initially locked.

However, when the HALO system is set to lock the doors based on moving the gear lever out of 'P' into 'R' - this problem does NOT occur.

Also when the HALO system is deactivated and you centrally lock the doors manually the problem doesn't occur (I'm currently using this setting until the problem is fixed)

Another problem that began at the same time as this issue, is that when you lock the car using the key remote control, the interior light stays on for about 30-40 seconds and also the indicators don't flash as they normally should to indicate that the car has been locked.

I have checked that all doors and the bonnet lid are closed correctly.

I took the car back to the service department of the Hyundai dealership where I purchased it and it was a frustrating experience to say the least.

To make a long story short, they had two of their mechanics look at it and they both insisted that it was operating fine, yet as soon as I went to drive out of their car park the issues immediately occured so I went straight back and took one of the mechanics for a drive to demonstrate the problems. 

He still wasn't sure what would be causing the issue, so I now have to take the car back again and leave it for a full day.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem or has any ideas on what might be the issue, I'd greatly appreciate any input or suggestions as I get the feeling that it's going to drag on if it's not a common problem.

Thank you
  • 2014 i30 Active SE

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I don't have a GD,but one of my FD's did the same thing,Took the so called experts two years to find the issue,Sorry I'll rephrase that as none of the original so called experts found the issue,it was only when the dealer I bought the car off hired a new Technician the issue was found,he was an older fellow who actually looked further than the end of his nose and didn't rely on a computer to give him the solution,at speaking with Him mine issue was caused by a broken wire,once fixed and everything reset and tested it was never an issue again
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey, AJ.

I can't explain away the difference when the shift stick is used, but the rest all sounds like the BCM thinks there's a door, bonnet or hatch open. Or, at least partially opening during your journey.

The absence of flashing indicators reinforces my opinion on that.

When sat in the car with the engine running, is there any "open door" indicator showing on the dash? Does it appear while driving?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AJL77

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I don't have a GD,but one of my FD's did the same thing,Took the so called experts two years to find the issue,Sorry I'll rephrase that as none of the original so called experts found the issue,it was only when the dealer I bought the car off hired a new Technician the issue was found,he was an older fellow who actually looked further than the end of his nose and didn't rely on a computer to give him the solution,at speaking with Him mine issue was caused by a broken wire,once fixed and everything reset and tested it was never an issue again

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

Where was the broken wire located?
  • 2014 i30 Active SE

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
He didn't show me exactly where,but it was under the bonnet
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AJL77

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey, AJ.

I can't explain away the difference when the shift stick is used, but the rest all sounds like the BCM thinks there's a door, bonnet or hatch open. Or, at least partially opening during your journey.

The absence of flashing indicators reinforces my opinion on that.

When sat in the car with the engine running, is there any "open door" indicator showing on the dash? Does it appear while driving?

Hi Shambles,

Thanks for the reply.

No, the open door indicator was not showing on the dash.

Something that I forgot to add in my original post is that when I took the car in to be looked at, they told me that the door switches are all operating normally.
  • 2014 i30 Active SE

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
We've had recent reports of the bonnet stopper/latch not meeting fully... cured by extending the rubber stopper slightly. In one case it was causing the indicators to cease flashing when locked & alarmed.

Rick's suggestion is a fair call too.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Did the garage reset the halo system via their plug in computer or just tinkered around as presented?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I will add my 2cents...

I had similar behavior in a low km (something like 14 or 21km) i30 Active courtesy car (when my FD electric steering was on the blink) as I drove away from the service center.  Repeated series of rapid cycling/operation of locks - I looked at the dash and it showed the passenger door was ajar (which you have indicated isn't being shown) which it was - it seemed to be catching somewhere so needed more force to close properly (bad adjustment of door hinges?).

So per Shambles and Rick's suggestions - I would also suspect it is a switch contact issue or the BCM, at least, is seeing it as that - e.g. broken/shorting wire.   Esp. As the other symptoms match - interior light(s) staying on 30-40secs, indicators not flashing in the normal manner to indicate locked/alarmed.   That when HALO is activated by speed it sometimes happens right away, and other times 15-20 mins into drive, could indicate an intermittent trigger for the fault - possibly related to the heating/cooling of parts of the car (expansion/contraction causing contact?).

Shambles bonnet switch suggestion seems reasonable - I am not sure it is indicated on the dash display.   Other than what has been suggested another potential point maybe a connection where the wiring loom plugs into the BCM isn't making proper contact - but I don't know the consequences of un- and re- plugging a BCM and I would suspect, unless you were very (un)lucky, that other things might also play up in that case.   Of course, failing all of the above, though I suspect it would be very unlikely - the BCM itself could be faulty.   I am discounting a faulty speed sensor(s) - as I think other, much more apparent, issues might be apparent in that case.

As for why it doesn't happen when HALO is set to use the shifter position - I wonder if, in that case, they implemented the system to lock the doors on that signal and it simply doesn't compare their status to speed and/or, maybe, even read open/close state of doors after that.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome AJL77

What a great thread! We do our share of mucking around on here, but all hands on deck when a problem needs sorting!

Rick Steve and ibroke it are all saying much the same thing. If adjusting the bonnet doesn't do the trick I'd be referring the service centre to this thread!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AJL77

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Welcome AJL77

What a great thread! We do our share of mucking around on here, but all hands on deck when a problem needs sorting!

Rick Steve and ibroke it are all saying much the same thing. If adjusting the bonnet doesn't do the trick I'd be referring the service centre to this thread!

Hi Dazzler,

It's truly been an amazing response.

I was hoping to get some ideas for when I make my next booking at the dealership and this thread has well and truly done that.

Thank you again to everyone who has replied.
  • 2014 i30 Active SE

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Don't be a stranger, there's lots on offer and we always welcome the skills our new members bring, they don't have to be car related either.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AJL77

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
We've had recent reports of the bonnet stopper/latch not meeting fully... cured by extending the rubber stopper slightly. In one case it was causing the indicators to cease flashing when locked & alarmed.

Rick's suggestion is a fair call too.

Hi Shambles,

I'll double check this

Thanks

Did the garage reset the halo system via their plug in computer or just tinkered around as presented?

Hi eye30

To be honest I'm not sure and I really should have asked.

I get the feeling that it may have been a combination of both as the first mechanic returned the keys to the service advisor in reception not long after he had been given them - hardly enough time to do a comprehensive check.

The second mechanic who I spoke with told me that the door switches were all fine - not sure if that was a computer related test or a manual inspection.

He also said that when he tested the car it didn't display the faults that I mentioned.
Including locking the car numerous times and on each occasion the indicators flashed (as is normal)
  • 2014 i30 Active SE

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If there are any faulty door sensors, wouldn't the blue display indicate this in the instrument cluster. I suspect BCM.

Offline AJL77

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Don't be a stranger, there's lots on offer and we always welcome the skills our new members bring, they don't have to be car related either.

Thanks Phil.

I'll definitely be checking out the rest of the forum.
  • 2014 i30 Active SE

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Phil №❶
If there are any faulty door sensors

If it turns out to be the bonnet catch, there's no display on mine to show that, so definitely worth double checking. Easily checked when trying to lock the car while the bonnet is lifted, pushing down on the contact point.

Offline AJL77

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi ibrokeit

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed and informative reply.
  • 2014 i30 Active SE

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's why I didn't mention bonnet catch. I would apply your fix, first.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi ibrokeit

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed and informative reply.

Thank you :happydance:   If you're having trouble convincing the service center - they can really only go on what you say and what they can observe - maybe record the issue/s occurring on video.   So they can see it in action - even if they can't reproduce it easily.

Really what I said is all smoke and mirrors I mean b*llsh*t :D I mean supposition based on years of hardware, and software, fault finding experience.   Some knowledge on how embedded systems can react to things.   And some basic knowledge of the systems and how they likely work together  - I haven't got access to any manufacturer's data/repair manuals, etc.. and cars aren't my industry.

Though I said it was very unlikely to be the BCM - it could be... a number of weird and wonderful faults have been fixed by BCM replacement...  and all it could take is one dry solder joint on one component to cause an issue.   Say a pull-up resistor on a line that gets grounded (B-) when something is opened (i.e. high - closed; low - open) - again supposition... I don't know anything about the BCM... but sometimes that is how simple the root cause of a fault can be.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hey there AJL77.
Sorry to hear your concerns.
Tell your workshop to consider the front door lock actuators.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline AJL77

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all,

Apologies for not having replied sooner to the latest replies.

I have not been back to the dealership as of yet for two reasons

1. I've been trying to observe the faults to try and narrow down the potential cause

2. I really can't afford to be without the car at the moment

An observation I have made in relation to the indicators not flashing as they should when locking the car with the remote.
When the fault occurred, I did a test by opening and closing one door at a time.

Nine times out of ten - Opening and then re-closing the left rear passenger door seems to get things working back to normal.
Tonight was the first time that it didn't.

As far as the HALO system continually trying to lock the doors is concerned - well for a few days the problem didn't happen, however it came back with a vengeance.  I currently have the auto-lock feature disabled and lock the doors manually using the central locking button on the drivers door console.

I have some time off work in June, so will book the car in during that period as that way they can keep it there for a couple of days to do their own testing on it.
  • 2014 i30 Active SE

Offline AJL77

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Thank you :happydance:   If you're having trouble convincing the service center - they can really only go on what you say and what they can observe - maybe record the issue/s occurring on video.   So they can see it in action - even if they can't reproduce it easily.

Really what I said is all smoke and mirrors I mean b*llsh*t :D I mean supposition based on years of hardware, and software, fault finding experience.   Some knowledge on how embedded systems can react to things.   And some basic knowledge of the systems and how they likely work together  - I haven't got access to any manufacturer's data/repair manuals, etc.. and cars aren't my industry.

Though I said it was very unlikely to be the BCM - it could be... a number of weird and wonderful faults have been fixed by BCM replacement...  and all it could take is one dry solder joint on one component to cause an issue.   Say a pull-up resistor on a line that gets grounded (B-) when something is opened (i.e. high - closed; low - open) - again supposition... I don't know anything about the BCM... but sometimes that is how simple the root cause of a fault can be.

Hi ibrokeit,

Video recording the issues is a great idea.

The failure of the indicators to flash when locking the car will be an easy one to film.

I'll just have to work out the setup for recording the autolock malfunction when driving.

Hey there AJL77.
Sorry to hear your concerns.
Tell your workshop to consider the front door lock actuators.

Thanks Cruiserfied.

I will definitely mention the front door lock actuators.

Hopefully they are willing to listen.
  • 2014 i30 Active SE

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
<snip>
An observation I have made in relation to the indicators not flashing as they should when locking the car with the remote.
When the fault occurred, I did a test by opening and closing one door at a time.

Nine times out of ten - Opening and then re-closing the left rear passenger door seems to get things working back to normal.
Tonight was the first time that it didn't.
<snip>

That could be indicative of an intermittent fault with the switch for that door - could be something not making proper contact sometimes (the repositioning of the contacts by the act of opening/closing gets better contact next go round).   If it is, as to way, it could be something loose and/or corrosion or other contaminant preventing conductivity.

The trouble with intermittent faults are, often, when you try to reproduce them you can't... or not reliably/often enough to get to a firm conclusion or observe the problem.   Such as 'the door switches are all fine' - quite possibly they worked when being looked at.

In regards to taking video of the door locking issue - yeah, when I suggested it, I thought that might be trickier than it seems.

Offline AJL77

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all,

Just an update.

Took the car back to the dealership for the problem to be looked at.
I mentioned that others with similar issues had found that the actuator was the cause.

Sure enough, I got a phone call a few hours later advising that the problem had been fixed and that it was related to the actuator.

Apparently, a wire wasn't connected / contacting properly and this was causing the problem.

*fingers crossed that the issue doesn't return*

Thanks again to everyone who replied and offered their suggestions.

I'm an absolute amateur when it comes to the mechanical side of things so being able to narrow down the possible cause no doubt helped speed up the process.
  • 2014 i30 Active SE

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :cool!: thanks for the update.  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Great to read they have fixed this issue - well believe they have in any case.

I do hope it doesn't return for you.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal