i30 Owners Club

Remote boot open not working

Offline Cackmobile

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi tea,  not sure if this is the right forum but I have a 2008 i30 poverty pack. The boot no longer opens using the button on the key. Can open manually. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • I30 2008

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Does the red LED illuminate when you press the keyfob button? Are you holding the button down for 2-3 seconds?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Are you talking about the middle button?

Does the boot open/unlock if you press the top button which unlocks the doors?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Cackmobile

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
No it doesn'tI have  2 keys and it doesn't do it on either
  • I30 2008

Offline Cackmobile

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Yes the middle button and yes it unlocks with the central locking
  • I30 2008

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Shambles
Does the red LED illuminate when you press the ... button?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Cackmobile - just so you know you can quote a post you're replying to... in a desktop browser it will be the 'Quote' in the top right of a post.  On to the issue...

I am assuming 'remote boot open' is not the boot actually popping open - but rather boot (only) unlock.  But I am not sure as I noticed you mentioned 'can open manually' - my i30 (2010 cw) has no key-slot in boot, or boot-lever at driver's seat, just the handle/button on the outside of the boot under the trim... that is the only 'open' (and it is manual) I have (and it only works if the boot and/or doors have been unlocked). If your boot pops ajar/open (and isn't now) then the problem could be elsewhere.

If I read your answers correctly they were: No red LED when pushing the middle/centre (boot-unlock) button. Yes it does unlock with central locking. You tried it on both keys/remotes/key-fobs/fobs.

A little puzzling: Boot-unlock when central-locking (doors) unlocks indicates the mechanical side/actuator(s) are working.   No LED on button press indicates the signal to unlock the boot wasn't sent - odd that it would happen on both keys/remotes at the same time.

I did just check on one of my fobs - the LED on the fob does light up when I push the boot-unlock button.  However it did take a second or so before it came on, and the button seemed stiffer than the other two buttons (but I hardly use it).

Though I would think it would effect everything equally: have you had the car since new? and have you ever changed the fob battery? I would suspect a low battery wouldn't affect one button but not the others - but something to consider.   Don't worry about not being able to start the car after changing the battery - the battery is for the remote entry function only. The key/car ID/coding for ignition purposes is separate and has no battery (it is energized by being in the ignition).

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 13:47:44 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@ ibrokeit,  as mentioned by someone else, you do have to hold the tailgate unlock button for a second or two to make it work...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
@ ibrokeit,  as mentioned by someone else, you do have to hold the tailgate unlock button for a second or two to make it work...

Uh huh - I think it was Shambles.  Was noting what I had observed when I pushed it - I didn't use a stop-watch though  :D

Though seriously in some testing, inc. hardware testing, I have literally done that... pressed a button and started a stop-watch at the same time the waited to see how long it took. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Uh huh - I think it was Shambles.  Was noting what I had observed when I pushed it - I didn't use a stop-watch though  :D

Though seriously in some testing, inc. hardware testing, I have literally done that... pressed a button and started a stop-watch at the same time the waited to see how long it took.

:goodjob:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
On Firty, the amber indicator lights will also tell you it's unlocked, then they'll flash again to lock when closed.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Cackmobile

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Cackmobile - just so you know you can quote a post you're replying to... in a desktop browser it will be the 'Quote' in the top right of a post.  On to the issue...

I am assuming 'remote boot open' is not the boot actually popping open - but rather boot (only) unlock.  But I am not sure as I noticed you mentioned 'can open manually' - my i30 (2010 cw) has no key-slot in boot, or boot-lever at driver's seat, just the handle/button on the outside of the boot under the trim... that is the only 'open' (and it is manual) I have (and it only works if the boot and/or doors have been unlocked). If your boot pops ajar/open (and isn't now) then the problem could be elsewhere.

If I read your answers correctly they were: No red LED when pushing the middle/centre (boot-unlock) button. Yes it does unlock with central locking. You tried it on both keys/remotes/key-fobs/fobs.

A little puzzling: Boot-unlock when central-locking (doors) unlocks indicates the mechanical side/actuator(s) are working.   No LED on button press indicates the signal to unlock the boot wasn't sent - odd that it would happen on both keys/remotes at the same time.

I did just check on one of my fobs - the LED on the fob does light up when I push the boot-unlock button.  However it did take a second or so before it came on, and the button seemed stiffer than the other two buttons (but I hardly use it).

Though I would think it would effect everything equally: have you had the car since new? and have you ever changed the fob battery? I would suspect a low battery wouldn't affect one button but not the others - but something to consider.   Don't worry about not being able to start the car after changing the battery - the battery is for the remote entry function only. The key/car ID/coding for ignition purposes is separate and has no battery (it is energized by being in the ignition).

We got it second hand. Let me get this straight. Does the button only unlock the boot and not open it?
  • I30 2008

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We got it second hand. Let me get this straight. Does the button only unlock the boot and not open it?

Yes!  :goodjob: The tailgate is too heavy to spring load and your model was before some Hyundai's and other brands got motorised lift...  :cool:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Compared the fd to the gd.

On the fd  just press middle button and let go. Boot unlocks and stays unlocked and opens via the catch under door.

Close the hatch and the boot does not lock unless you press button.

On gd i have to HOLD button down then use other hand to release door via the catch under door.

The fob actually has the word HOLD printed on the middle button.

If i press the button and then remove my finger from the button the door is still locked.

The only time it stays unlocked is when i unlock via the door unlock button.

Are other fd and gd's the same
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Just tried on my 2008 FD.

When approaching the locked car I only need to press the middle botton, not hold it for seconds, then the boot can be opened as normal. When closing the boot again it's locked right away, so don't forget the keys in the boot.. :exclaim:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
My FD unlocks boot on button press and auto-locks when boot is closed (when unlocked in this manner). IIRC it also auto-locks if the boot isn't opened within a period of time.

So to sum up thus far:

• Boot only unlocks - both FD & GD body-types - no 'power'/smart (electric open) boot (at least factory/dealer fitted)
  • FD - Pushing and releasing the 'fob' button will cause the boot to unlock.  There maybe an option which alters the behavior when the boot is closed - auto-lock vs. press button on fob again (or eye30's FD has a small issue)
  • GD - You have to hold the button while you open the boot (if you are not unlocking the other doors)

FYI for Cackmobile - FD & GD describe the bodytype/generation... yours is an FD.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal