Speed camera hidden by trees is unfair on motorists, says driver

eye30 · 28 · 4246

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
A speed camera on the A4 near Bath which has earned £100,000 in six weeks is breaking visibility rules, say drivers – because it’s hidden by foliage.

A permanent speed camera has caught more than 1,000 speeding motorists in just six weeks – because, say drivers, it’s hidden behind a tree.

The once de-commissioned camera was reactivated in February and has since flashed 1,000 drivers for exceeding the 30mph speed limit, netting £100,000 in fines in the process.

:link: Speed camera hidden by trees is unfair on motorists, says driver - BT
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Fat chance they have of getting a refund.

They should have bought a Garmin Nuvi which displays speed limits for each road and chimes if you are exceeding the limit.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I could have sworn that the fixed camera's had to be visible in the UK, that's why they paint them like hi-vis jackets or warn about them with signage. There are even warnings for the mobile camera's.

But then again, you shouldn't speed  :goodjob:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yep.
Don't speed.  No fine.
Easy peasy.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Poor motorists, "I broke the speed limit and got caught!!  How dare they put a speed camera on the road and then catch me breaking it."

No sympathy from me.  It is a voluntary payment of revenue.  If you not speed, you don't have to pay it.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I could have sworn that the fixed camera's had to be visible in the UK, that's why they paint them like hi-vis jackets or warn about them with signage. There are even warnings for the mobile camera's.

But then again, you shouldn't speed  :goodjob:

All for speeding cameras, never been fined by one yet, however, our mob paint them tree green where there are trees, or leave them silver in the city and although in full view, they're hard to see. If you get caught speeding no point in complaining about it.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Keep'em coming, I say. Eases the tax burden on us law abiding folk. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Good to hear so many of us are such law abiding citizens...  :rofl:  :snigger:

Not at all.  It's just that when I'm caught breaking the rule, I don't whinge about it.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Not at all.  It's just that when I'm caught breaking the rule, I don't whinge about it.

:goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I so often hear some bleating motorists cry foul about 'fair play' whenever a camera is discovered to be somewhat 'sneaky', crying about how it's all about revenue and not an effective deterrent if the motorist is unaware of its presence. What hogwash! :spitty:

Not knowing where they are and being a prudent driver at all times is much more the desired outcome. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^
What Fat Boy, Doggie and Gonz said.  :goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thing is, there are visibility rules that govern placement, forewarning and colour. The camera's disposition shows it's breaking some visibility rules.

I'm all for "commit the crime, do the time" believe me :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The visibility rules are only put in place to appease the whingers in society though.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Yes, it is the "They didn't tell me that they might catch me if I break the law" whinge.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
How are they going to plug the hole when self drive cars are introduced????
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Random number generator in the speed software  :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Same thing with smoking......... if everybody stopped they'd just invent some other tax to compensate.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
''"There is a speed camera warning sign and the camera is within a clearly-marked 30mph area; there are also clear markings on the road next to it.''

but what if those signs are also hidden from the foliage too since the council cant be bothered to cut back the trees/bushes at the camera....I've also seen traffic lights hidden behind trees too.
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Not here.but I don't whinge about them HIDING the multi nova's(the few fixed camera's we have here are not hidden)I just pay the fine and give myself a kick in the posterior for being so stupid for getting caught  :lol:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thing is, there are visibility rules that govern placement, forewarning and colour. The camera's disposition shows it's breaking some visibility rules.

I'm all for "commit the crime, do the time" believe me :D

There are no "visibility rules" in the UK and never were. Neither are warning signs needed. Most Camera Partnerships appeased the whingers by painting them yellow but the latest types appearing (sic) are now grey.  The new HADECs on motorways are hidden on posts behind gantry pylons and raking it in.

My local council publishes their speed camera results which are quite interesting.  One camera recorded only two offences in 12 months whilst the top earner recorded over 8000.  The results are also split into penalties and speed awareness courses which shows about 50/50.

They have invested in replacing all the old Gatso cameras with the latest digital  type capable of multi lane, bi-directional, operation and these are grey.  They are quite obvious by the adjacent flash lighting post required in poor light  by digital cameras.

We now have average speed cameras in town in residential areas with the intention of even more as funds become available whilst potholes are swallowing cars on a daily basis!.  These cameras are grey and 5 metres up on poles. Despite a multitude of signs indicating "average speed cameras throughout the borough" they still bring in huge sums of money.  What is it that people do not know how average speed cameras work or even fixed cameras.  Recently, on a stretch of single carriageway trunk road with a number of fixed cameras I followed a car at 45 mph in a 60mph limit.  Approaching  every camera he braked and his speed dropped to 40mpg.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: baroudeur
There are no "visibility rules" in the UK and never were.

Why do you say that, when Parliament rules governing them contain specific sections on visibilty and conspicuity?

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN00350.pdf
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Fat chance they have of getting a refund.

They should have bought a Garmin Nuvi which displays speed limits for each road and chimes if you are exceeding the limit.

The Garmin speed camera database is never up to date and you can do better if you  load with Pocket GPS World  www.pocketgpsworld.com speed camera database.  £19 per year and update as many times you want. It even provides  the European camera datasbase

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Quote from: baroudeur
There are no "visibility rules" in the UK and never were.

Why do you say that, when Parliament rules governing them contain specific sections on visibilty and conspicuity?

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN00350.pdf

The link is guidance not legislation but  most Safety Camera Parnership schemes followed the guidance.

It also states that only non-Safety Partnership schemes are now affected by them therefore police and Highway Authority schemes are not.
However, there are many new cameras which are  grey so something has changed!  Locally, a residential road was reputed to have average speed cameras installed and it took me three passes to locate one of them...grey at the top of a 7 metre pole..

A camera can never be hidden in the true sense as, at the point a vehicle is within its operating range,  the camera "sees" the vehicle and the driver will/should see the camera.  The French operate real hidden cameras which are placed behind an obstruction and use a 90° beam.

Edit:

Found the details.......

The regulations were changed in April 2007 after which date  cameras no longer have to be  yellow nor warning signs placed.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 22:20:17 by baroudeur »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal