i30 Owners Club

Battery Died

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My car is 6 years old in October so I reckon I've done pretty well all things considered.

The last couple of weeks I became aware the engine sounded a bit "lazy" when turning over.  Still fired up easily and pretty quickly. It just didn't sound "right" and TBH it could have been like it longer before I noticed.

Anyway, took it in to Pelican Motors this morning for a check and it was way down under load.
I've been a fan of Century batteries for years now with Exide before that. Both have been suppliers to Goodyear over the years. Pelican Motors only have Exide in stock and had a heavy duty version of what fitted my car so I went with that.

Exide X55D23DMF

42 months warranty (longest I've ever seen).
650CCA
RC120

Baby's all well again.  :goodjob2:

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good end to the story. I'll be putting Firty in storage for a year in October or December. I've yet to learn what I should do to her such as disconnecting the battery. :sweating:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Sounds somewhat similar to mine - the factory battery lasted just over 4 years (from my perspective at least).

As you say Surferdude - still fired up easily and pretty quickly (till the end), but comparing then and now it was a bit 'lazy' as you term it.   It seems the i30 can crank well even with the battery being way down under load.   Once or twice it failed to start - but I put it down to myself releasing the key a little too quickly, as waiting 30secs or so it would start right up.

The battery 'failed' hard and fast when I was overseas, my friends were borrowing my car.   I organised (from overseas via. phone) for Marshall Batteries to attend - who fitted a heavy-duty version. The Marshall's person was surprised: a) that the factory battery had lasted this long; b) that the car had been able to start recently as the battery was reading 7V.  My friends had gone to use my car and it was 'dead' - wouldn't even unlock (except drivers door by physical key)... but they had driven it the prior two days!

However my friends, and I, knew by then it was going to need replacing - they had run an air-bed pump (with lights on as well) from my car for 5 to 10 mins a number of days prior with the engine off, and then had to jumpstart my car.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'll be putting Firty in storage for a year in October or December. I've yet to learn what I should do to her such as disconnecting the battery. :sweating:
Pump/suck out as much of the fuel as possible if storing for a year, you don't want stale fuel running through Firty when you restart in a years time.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Get a continuous battery charger that can remain on, or be prepared for a new battery when you return. Shambles mentioned a thingy fuse to disconnect for long term storage, IIRC.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah, "memory fuse". Simply pull it up to isolate various power-drawing sources.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Gonz, if possible, jack the wheels off the floor a bit to protect the tyres from flat-spotting.

• Tertius the i30

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Get a continuous battery charger that can remain on, or be prepared for a new battery when you return. Shambles mentioned a thingy fuse to disconnect for long term storage, IIRC.
This.

About a week after I got Hippo my battery also felt a bit lazy, and I was afraid that the battery was a dud and that I would have that extra expense right off the bat.

I borrowed a Ctek smart charger from my cousin and left it on Hippo for a day or so - been fine ever since. You get little lugs that are connected to your battery terminals and a quick-connect plug to plug it in when you are leaving your car for a few weeks or days.

They look similar to the one below:

They have various modes for cars, boats, motorcycles and everything in between and they are a very good investment for any automobile owner :goodjob2:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I have a home made one that maintains the battery at a set selectable voltage. I still have Lila's old battery connected @ 13.8 v and use it to power my audio in the garage, so if the power fails, I still have music. I use it as an experimental power source for auto projects, too. The charger's been in use for over 6 years 24/7 on a variety of otherwise "dead" batteries.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I've had this for well over a decade. Very versatile but probably not good for a year of continuous trickle charging. I doubt the storer will allow it. Once I've put Firty on stands, I may as well take the battery out and leave it with family.
"ns"
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline toddl3y

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      The Entrance, NSW
    • CoastModz
mine sounds like it struggles to turn over too, same as OP..

and when the mrs cleans out the car and vacuums etc, it goes flat quick... so time to upgrade. especially for when we get sound system done.
  • i30 SLX FD Hatchback

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've had this for well over a decade. Very versatile but probably not good for a year of continuous trickle charging. I doubt the storer will allow it. Once I've put Firty on stands, I may as well take the battery out and leave it with family.
"ns"

That's very similar to mine, there's a Jaycar kit to modify it to continuous charging.  :goodjob2:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
mine sounds like it struggles to turn over too, same as OP..

and when the mrs cleans out the car and vacuums etc, it goes flat quick... so time to upgrade. especially for when we get sound system done.

Probably a good idea - esp. if it is the original battery.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal