i30 Owners Club

Front seat facing wear

Offline stephen graham

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Canterbury, Kent
2013 i30 15k miles. I've noticed slight signs of wear on drivers seat, low down on the centre back. Sort of where a trouser belt might contact seat facing. Anyone else seen this? Do I need seat covers?
S. Graham
  • 2013 i30 Active Tourer, petrol, manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
2013 i30 15k miles. I've noticed slight signs of wear on drivers seat, low down on the centre back. Sort of where a trouser belt might contact seat facing. Anyone else seen this? Do I need seat covers?
S. Graham

With respect, are you a larger person? Some of our more solid members have noticed this (including me with a different brand of car - one of my Toyotas)

The dealer will call it wear and  tear (As member Rustynutz found out)

I put seat covers on my Toyota (not really any other solution)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Mine wore through on the side bolster, up around hip height.
As Daz said, Hyundai just reckons it's normal wear and tear so basically it's just "suck it up"!
I was not impressed....  :mad:

So, in answer to your question....yes, I'd be putting seat covers on before the wear gets any worse otherwise it will end up like mine, with a hole worn right through.

Oh, if you're "larger" and tall, it may pay to check out the drivers side door seal rubber to see if that's also wearing through....  :undecided:

Offline stephen graham

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Canterbury, Kent
72kilo. Wife drives more than me, 63 kilos. So not huge!  Wonder if leather belt does it. Seat covers ordered....like the car a lot, but this looks like Hyundai cutting costs. Hope more vital things not also done on the cheap.....
  • 2013 i30 Active Tourer, petrol, manual

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
It might have something to do with maybe belts or clothing with metal pieces on them.

My leather seats in my 05 Elantra used to scratch just from the studs on my jeans.

My FD has been pretty good and im a well rounded 100kg guy.

Only complaint is that the black bolsters are near impossible to keep clean
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It might have something to do with maybe belts or clothing with metal pieces on them.

That was the first thing I thought of but there's nothing on any of my clothes that would account for it.
The wear was above my belt and pockets so I couldn't even put the blame on to keys or a wallet in my pocket...  :undecided:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm 100kg and 6'3".
No wear on the seat or the door seals.
I've noticed that because or my lower back stiffness I tend 4o slide across the rear section of the door frame. Keep waiting for some wear but it hasn't happened yet.
Fingers crossed.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal