i30 Owners Club

My Music/USB - Song & Album Info Display

wbm00 · 8 · 4392

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
I've transferred some MP3 files over to the i30's internal memory. I'm pretty sure it initially displayed song and album info, but now it's defaulted to this:

I changed between the two options a couple of times to see if that had any effect (it didn't):

While a song is playing, if I press Menu > Info, the artist and album is displayed, demonstrating that the info tags are there and can be accessed:

Only when an MP3 is being read from a USB stick does it display the additional info by default:

Has anyone experienced this?

It is of course a minor issue, but it would be nice to have the full song tags displayed on MP3 files stored within the car's memory.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
It seems like the ID3 tag data gets slashed when it is transferred to the internal memory, ie. album names, artists, years and genre and the like.

The only remedy I could think would be to rename your files with the data that you would like displayed, but I am not too clued up with the GD radio system and how it works.

Perhaps someone else is more knowledgeable on the topic. I can unfortunately only tell you why it isn't doing what it should, not the actual fix.

But good luck and hope you get it sorted :goodjob2:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That would be enough info for me (but I am obviously not as fussy as you)  :undecided: (and I am quite OCD about some things)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
This really isn't an issue but it's one of those minor things that someone else may have experienced or found a solution for.

It's a rather painstaking process to copy music from USB to the car's memory. You can't bulk copy - each track has to be copied individually. For me using a USB/iPod is the preferred option.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Interesting - as you say 'Menu -> Info' shows the tags are still present.   If there isn't an apparent option, and it was doing it initially, but now isn't... I am tempted to say it could be a bug - possibly triggered by something (maybe something got corrupted in one of the files, or data-file the headunit uses.)

Unfortunately I, like many AU users, can't really assist too much - as, over here, we get a totally different OEM headunit (colour- and touch-screen) with different firmware.

Excepting maybe asking if there is newer headunit firmware available at next service.... All I could really suggest is trying to delete the mp3s from the headunit and seeing if it changes behavior at somepoint.   The other, last resort-ish, would be to do a factory reset (if possible) - unfortunately I don't know how one would do that and/or what the outcome would be.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
I had a quick look in the options for a reset but couldn't locate one. It's a shame we don't get the colour/touchscreen headunit here below SE Nav.

This afternoon for the purposes of troubleshooting, I deleted all the files stored within the car's memory and copied a couple over from a USB but the info is not being displayed.

I said in the first post that I was sure it initially did display info for files in "My Music" but I may have been mistaken. It could be that it is working exactly as designed and there is no bug at all.

If anyone else copies music (containing info tags) over to the car's memory it would be interesting to know whether your experience is any different.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
No such "copy to" option on my headunit. Not sure I'd use that facility anyway.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I had a quick look in the options for a reset but couldn't locate one. It's a shame we don't get the colour/touchscreen headunit here below SE Nav.

This afternoon for the purposes of troubleshooting, I deleted all the files stored within the car's memory and copied a couple over from a USB but the info is not being displayed.

I said in the first post that I was sure it initially did display info for files in "My Music" but I may have been mistaken. It could be that it is working exactly as designed and there is no bug at all.

If anyone else copies music (containing info tags) over to the car's memory it would be interesting to know whether your experience is any different.

Yeah - I noticed you mentioned you weren't 100% sure... but decided to assume you were.  Great that you have asked for anyone else who tried/tries it to confirm - every little bit of observation helps.

Regarding a factory reset - I have no idea if available and, if so, how to do it for a GD headunit... but would assume that it would be in a hidden menu.   Such as was used in the FD bodies a seemingly fairly global OEM headunit (seemed to have regional variations for buttons and firmware) the PA710 - a hidden menu could be accessed by....  :link: Radio Hacking
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal