i30 Owners Club

Just got my first i30

Offline Jacobb8799

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire
I got my 2007 I30 1.6 CRDi in May as a practical motorway runner. I've since done 10k miles with a self completed oil change at 5k and a full service @ the garage yesterday. It has never skipped a beat. So reliable and fun to drive.

I'm now thinking about some small mods to improve the stereo, braking as well as a more efficient exhaust system.

What mods have people here been doing? I don't want to boy racer it, just get the best out of it. 
  • 2007 i30 1.6 CRDi

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I got my 2007 I30 1.6 CRDi in May as a practical motorway runner. I've since done 10k miles with a self completed oil change at 5k and a full service @ the garage yesterday. It has never skipped a beat. So reliable and fun to drive.

I'm now thinking about some small mods to improve the stereo, braking as well as a more efficient exhaust system.

What mods have people here been doing? I don't want to boy racer it, just get the best out of it.

:welcome: Jacob.. Good to hear. Several of us tried modified exhausts with very little benefit. I would consider doing the Stereo and other cosmetic changes (like maybe nicer wheels or something) but would suggest steering away from mechanical mods on an 8 year old car.

My thinking is you might put a strain on something else and cause a problem. If it is running sweet I'd leave the mechanicals. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :wttc:  Jacobb8799

Upgrading the exhaust on a diesel would be an expensive process to see any notable gains, you'd have to upgrade the turbo dump pipe as well as stepping up in size for the exhaust which would then require modifying the ECU so unless you are wanting to spend 2 or 3K it may not be worth it, plus I don't know how the yearly MOT inspection over there would affect your vehicle licensing.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Any significant mods would have to be reported to your insurers - who are guaranteed to use this as an excuse to hike the premium, possibly a ridiculous amount. Especially of you are below 30 years of age. If you don't notify them and are involved in an accident - the insurers will refuse to process the claim and the police may then regard you as driving without insurance.

It just isn't worth the hassle - the car goes well enough as standard and you would have to throw a lot of money at it to reap much benefit.

Take the advice already given - have a tinker with the appearance (within limits) but leave the mechanicals alone.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Hi Jacobb8799

Welcome to the forum  :cool:
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Slightly belated but  :wttc:

I know some one reported some benefit (can't remember how much) with changing the air-intake (from memory it wasn't that expensive)... but can't remember if that was petrol or diesel.   Also have no idea how it will effect you insurance and MoT.   Topic, with pics, is here somewhere.

The other thing people report give improvement is in regards to suspension - the springs and shocks - there are topics about both (including one recent where the author had recently replaced the shocks, but months before that had done the springs as well).   Again MoT/insurance cost?

Probably the most common mod is replacing the in-dash headunit with an aftermarket unit - number of topics.   Other than that people change external lighting (MoT) and/or add DRLs (sometimes).  Some get the electric folding mirrors, if their i30 doesn't have them, from wreckers and install those - topic for that too.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Slightly belated but  :wttc:

I know some one reported some benefit (can't remember how much) with changing the air-intake (from memory it wasn't that expensive)... but can't remember if that was petrol or diesel.   Also have no idea how it will effect you insurance and MoT.   Topic, with pics, is here somewhere.

The other thing people report give improvement is in regards to suspension - the springs and shocks - there are topics about both (including one recent where the author had recently replaced the shocks, but months before that had done the springs as well).   Again MoT/insurance cost?

Probably the most common mod is replacing the in-dash headunit with an aftermarket unit - number of topics.   Other than that people change external lighting (MoT) and/or add DRLs (sometimes).  Some get the electric folding mirrors, if their i30 doesn't have them, from wreckers and install those - topic for that too.

:goodjob:

Some good ideas/observations there.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal