The Gonz · 53 · 11552

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Members one and all,

I'm due to have my Purty Frugal Firty stored indoors professionally for 14 months while we live overseas.
Pray tell what sagely wisdom there may be regarding the what and how of long term storage.
So far I've looked into reducing insurance cover and registration to suit the situation.
However, the more technical aspects, such as draining fluids, disconnecting battery, using stands or blocks, etc is more what I'd like to consider. Terima kasih! :hatoff:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Not sure what the life of Diesel is, but I'd actually have a full tank of it, as it should provide protection to the inner surface of the tank, relating to rust issues. Any air in the tank will contain some moisture and an empty tank will expose a lot of steel. Can't say whether the tank of juice will be any good after 14 months though. I would do likewise with oils and coolant. Put the vehicle on stands, electronics into storage mode and battery on automatic charge to maintain a preset voltage.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Not sure what the life of Diesel is, but I'd actually have a full tank of it, as it should provide protection to the inner surface of the tank, relating to rust issues. Any air in the tank will contain some moisture and an empty tank will expose a lot of steel. Can't say whether the tank of juice will be any good after 14 months though. I would do likewise with oils and coolant. Put the vehicle on stands, electronics into storage mode and battery on automatic charge to maintain a preset voltage.

Pretty much that. Google some classic car storage info, they'll have all the info you want.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Just get the car shipped over to W.A. and I'll give it the necessary TLC she requires and drive it ever so occasionally  :D because it's always a good idea to keep things well lubricated as I'm sure you'll know.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Save yourself the storage and depreciation costs and worry.

Sell her and get an even more frugal one when you return
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid:  :iws:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I was going to say that but I know Gonz loves his firty.
I know I wouldn't want to sell my vehicle for no other reason. And the joy of driving it after the time would be awesome.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Ensure the storage facility is free from vermin.
Not a nice surprise to find rats/mice have eaten through wiring, built nests in the engine bay or worse moved inside via the flow through vent flap.
Found a massive hornet (mud wasp) nest on the prop shaft of No2 son's R33 that I'd stored. Caused some vibrations for a bit.

• i-30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hey Gonz, i would cover her with a cotton sheet as the cotton absorbs moisture, also a cotton rag up her exhaust  a friend who has truck claims some petrol in the tank stops diesel algae if lets not in use for long period. but what about imported cars that are in storage for a long time before sold. i don't think 14 months too long, but if it was say five or more years. still the cotton sheet a very very good idea two even better tie it down if possible.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Yes the R33 was obviously an import and they can sit out in the open on wharves /storage for a long time while waiting for ships.
It always had a smell (as do most imports from cigars etc) so I removed the seats and carpets for cleaning.
Found mouse nests under the rear seat and chewed up sound insulation from the boot, all wrapped in Jap. newspaper.
Traced it back to the flow through vent flap through which they'd been dragging their newspaper and had jambed it open for much easier access. 
Left my Commo at a friend's farm for a weekend and from then on no right blinkers.
Rats had chewed the wiring running to the right side.
  • i-30

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
One thing i remember from storing bikes is to fill (and i mean FILL) the engine with a special conservation oil, or top what's already in there with diesel, to stop corossion.

That won't stop all the creepy-crawlys getting into the car, but it conserves the engine block.

You could park it in a plastic bag with some silicon beads inside (It's been done.....)
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

One thing i remember from storing bikes is to fill (and i mean FILL) the engine with a special conservation oil, or top what's already in there with diesel, to stop corossion.

That won't stop all the creepy-crawlys getting into the car, but it conserves the engine block.

I've heard that too but I'm no expert.
  • Tertius the i30

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Wow, really? Diesel in the engine all the way to the top? I'll have a couple of weeks to sort that out. :confused:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Wow, really? Diesel in the engine all the way to the top? I'll have a couple of weeks to sort that out. :confused:

I should clarify.
I have heard to completely fill with oil.
  • Tertius the i30

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I already plan to fill the fuel tank to brim with Diesel, although I'll have to siphon out as much as I can as useless and replace it with fresh Diesel before I start it afterwards.

Makes sense to do something similar with the engine oil. :goodjob:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I should clarify.
I have heard to completely fill with oil.

when we put a diesel marine engines into mothballs, we take the injectors and fill each cylinder full of oil and then cover the injector holes {turn the motor over by hand before putting the oil in so that all pistons are at the same level....check with a screwdriver in each hole} .......when come to use again, suck the oil out and then hand turn the motor over to get the last of the oil out.......then clean up around the injector holes, replace injectors and turn it over ......bit smokey at first but that does not last for long.....

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I bought a bottle of Sta-Bil Long Term Storage Diesel formula today.

"ns"

Now, if I remove the battery for the duration, will I get caught out by anything resetting? I don't think the factory entertainment comes with a security code. :confused:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
where you have it storage, do you have access to a power point......if so you can get a battery charger that trickle charges and trickle discharges to mimic battery life and when you get back you have a fully charged battery without security problems.....just don't lose your key.....

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I used  a cheap solar trickle charger from Super cheap auto when I left my car for a  long period, Just had to lengthen the cables so I could place the panel out side, worked really well and no power required. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks, guys. That will all depend where in the giant indoor space it will sit. I'm not confident there will be power or sun, hence the question about the security code.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just to clarify a point.....if you go the battery charger, you must get one that discharges your battery and then charges...Not charges only......

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If it is the original 5 Y/O battery it would be easier to just put a new battery in on your return as the old one would be due to expire fairly soon anyway.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Is there a security code applied to my radio?

"ns"

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Rent it out
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Security code question...

Is it OEM original (PA-710 or PA-760) std. headunit?   If so no code.

If it is an FD-01 (unlikely as they were 2011 from memory, and if you fitted it you would have needed the security code) yes - but it can be calculated (info in another topic) from the serial number on it (but requires being able to see the label - which means removing center dash fascia).

If it was dealer fitted upgrade, or a Hyundai supplied upgrade (which would probably be very rare) - no idea sorry.

See here :link: Aust - FD i30 - Missing Outside Temp. Here is how to fix it! thanks elantraelite for visual examples of a PA-710, and also the FD-01, the major visual difference between the PA-710 and PA-760 from memory is the logo indicating it is multi disc (top right of CD slot IIRC) - I think the FD Owners manual covers it a little more.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks, ibi. It's bound to be an original without code then. :goodjob:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks, ibi. It's bound to be an original without code then. :goodjob:

Not a problem.   I would say so - esp. if it looks like the ones (esp. the first one) in the link.   Sadly the PA-710/PA-760 (global OEM) doesn't have the model printed on the front, unlike the FD-01 (or GD-01/GD-02 for the GD body) which do.

The other way to look at it, if it was a unit that needs a code, is that if you didn't have it... there would probably be more inconvenient times for you to need it (ask Hyundai) than when recommissioning the car from storage.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, I remember that thread now, especially the problem of losing the temperature feature with some of the 'up'grades. I definitely have the rock-solid, no-fuss original.:victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal