i30 Owners Club

Hello from Brisbane, Australia

Ash · 12 · 2943

Offline Ash

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Hi folks. I'm now the owner of a used late 2009, sold 2010, i30 SX. It has done 40,300 kms and presents almost as new. I paid a mechanic to strip search the car and he gave me the green light.

The car is my first Hyundai, and from first look, the car is a departure from the Hyundais of old. It's a real pleasure to drive and has a very solid feel to it.

I like to maintain my own cars, so I'll spend a few hours browsing this site for information and tips. My first job is to change the oil and filters, and possibly the spark plugs if it's an easy enough job. I'm having trouble finding YouTube videos for these jobs.

• 2009 i30 2l 5 door hatch

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :welcum: to the 'Club'

I think you will be advised not to worry about the spark-plugs (changing at least) - I think cruiserfied, an award winning Hyundai Tech, has advised about this in a topic recently... though I could be mis-remembering (EDIT: I very well maybe - see later post).  Basically they are expensive and supposed to have a very long service life.

I haven't performed, myself, any servicing on mine yet (still in 5y/unlimited KMs warranty), so can't help with oil/filter from practical knowledge - having said that, if you aren't aware already, the i30 is called 'Elantra Touring' in the US/NAM.  So sometimes you find information on google using that name instead.

FYI your i30 is an 'FD' body type - useful information in general as well as looking for servicing info. Possibly when looking for servicing info your engine model number might relevant - though in general I would doubt it.

Anyway, once again, welcome to the mad house err... I mean club!  :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 17:15:30 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wttc: Ash

Is it a petrol or a diesel?

Browse the diesel, petrol and general servicing sections of our forum for tips. There are some DIY guides on here somewhere.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Is it a petrol or a diesel?

I hope it is a petrol if Ash planned to change the spark-plugs! :snigger:   Otherwise that could cause problems - one way or another  :rofl:   Either attempting to fit spark plugs; or if it is a diesel which already has them.

Sorry Dazzler couldn't resist.  :D

Ash you may, or may not, wish to add some detail to you car profile - it can help when answering some questions.  Such as engine type + size and maybe badge (e.g. SX).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good point. I guess the mention of  spark plugs was indicating it was a petrol but first time diesel owners don't always know about glow plugs...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Good point. I guess the mention of  spark plugs was indicating it was a petrol but first time diesel owners don't always know about glow plugs...

Glow-plugs? Glow-plugs?  What Glow-plugs?  :-D

In my day we took a lit taper, put it in the holder and screwed the holder into the cylinder, put the compression release in the grooves on the fly-wheel, then we took a big hammer and hit the firing pin on the ignition!!

Actually my family has a vintage, horizontal 'single-banger', tractor (with tracks iso wheels) - where that was the starting procedure.   My late father brought it to restore it, and that he did (to working order and a bit).   However as, AFAIK, the starting cartridges aren't commercially available we instead have a car tyre rim welded to a piece of pipe that slots into the fly-wheel shaft, we wrap a rope around the rim and then pull it with a ute or car (doesn't need to go very fast so rope wiping around after coming off rim isn't an issue).

We get the local chemist to mix up the slow-burn mixture, and then we would soak blotting paper in it to make the tapers.   Though the machine came with an electric glow-plug (in the various 'extra' - read where the f*** does this go - parts 'container' - read moldy old cardboard box) - it does require a power source... and being a diesel single banger it has no electrics (I suspect it was an added option at the time) at all.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 03:44:17 by ibrokeit »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I hear they're going to reintroduce it to the next gen i30's, having too much trouble with bluedrive.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I think you will be advised not to worry about the spark-plugs (changing at least) - I think cruiserfied, an award winning Hyundai Tech, has advised about this in a topic recently... though I could be mis-remembering (EDIT: I very well maybe - see later post).  Basically they are expensive and supposed to have a very long service life.

I just took a squeeze in my 'Service Passport' - and noticed, according to it, for the '1.4, 1.6, 2.0, 2.4 ENG' the spark-plugs are indicated for replacement at 45K and 90K services (so 45K intervals).  So now I am not too sure I did recall correctly  :confused:

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Hello Ash,

I tried an oil change once on a previous car and wasn't quick enough removing the sump plug... the torrent of oil went down my arm and it wasn't a particularly nice experience. :rofl:

:wttc:
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal