i30 Owners Club

ROAD NOISE - TERRIBLE ON i30 Diesel

cdgeorge · 56 · 21245

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It doesn't constantly trip when parked in the sun, as I said the ONLY time I had it trip was in midwinter when the pressures dropped by a couple of PSi.

If your ex VW salesman is going by "his experience" then perhaps the VW group need to write some code.....
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
TPMS is a European Union requirement for all new cars.

So go kick some bungling Bureaucrat in Brussels to vent your spleen on and leave the car alone............... :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It doesn't constantly trip when parked in the sun, as I said the ONLY time I had it trip was in midwinter when the pressures dropped by a couple of PSi.

If your ex VW salesman is going by "his experience" then perhaps the VW group need to write some code.....

There errr a bit busy at the moment dealing with another matter.....  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
I joined this forum wondering if anyone else here is put off by the road noise in the cabin? I test drove the Hyundai i30 SE BlueDrive and was appalled at the noise getting into the cabin for such a modern car.

:agreed:

I can say the most irritating thing in my i30 is the tyre noise. In Finland our road surfaces are generally rough because of winter conditions, particularly severe frost heaving (cracks, bumps, potholes) and usage of studded winter tyres which wears out the surface. We rarely enjoy the smoothness and quiet ride on new pavement, because after one winter it's rough and noisy again. Therefore we must endure even worse road noise than in many other countries.

Studded winter tyres also make distinctive scratching and groaning sound, but I can say those OEM Hankook summer tyres are also as noisy as my studded winter tyres!

The i30 is not a bad car at all, but the last refinement touch is missing. Some more attention to the soundproofing and steering would have made it far more attractive car than it is now for demanding European customers.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
There are two things here of paramount importance.

1. Hankooks are awful tyres

2. British road surfaces are awful and very noisy (compared to Dutch, Belgian or French motorways).

So, the answer is to buy a set of Conti's and move abroad. Problem solved  :happydance:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline cdgeorge

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Norfolk
Oh dear I do feel for Tohis from Finland - those road surfaces must be the ultimate test for road noise.

Shame the i30 does not pass the test - c'mon Hyundai - you've got a great car other than that! OK that's not quite all - here are the points you need to brush up on Hyundai:

1. Road Noise
2. Dash reflection on the windscreen is excessive when the Sun is out.
3. TMPS is sensitive

The above three are annoying - so Hyundai - I hope I've helped you build a better car in the future (think of Finland and the great British roads).
  • Hyundai i30 SE 1.6 Diesel BlueDrive

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Re road noise, after a change of tyres from the original Hankooks on my FD, I've never found it an issue. Yes, the volume varies with different road surfaces but it's never loud enough to be what I'd call really intrusive.

Some months back I got to spent some time driving a Mazda 3 on varying road surfaces and was shocked to find it noisier than my i30...so, it would seem the i30 is nothing out of the ordinary as far as road noise goes...  :undecided:

As for dash reflection, for me it's a non issue... :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There are two things here of paramount importance.

1. Hankooks are awful tyres

So, the answer is to buy a set of Conti's and move abroad. Problem solved  :happydance:
I think we have been over this before :rolleyes: not all Hankook tyres are awful, as with all tyres there are good and bad versions in all brands including Continentals.

My Hankook Ventus S1 Nobel 2's are excellent tyres and very quiet, though I don't think it would matter how noisy a tyre was for me now as the exhaust is nosier :D

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Oh dear I do feel for Tohis from Finland - those road surfaces must be the ultimate test for road noise.

Shame the i30 does not pass the test - c'mon Hyundai - you've got a great car other than that! OK that's not quite all - here are the points you need to brush up on Hyundai:

1. Road Noise
3. TMPS is sensitive

The above three are annoying - so Hyundai - I hope I've helped you build a better car in the future (think of Finland and the great British roads).

I and many other owners who have experienced Hyundai's TPMS do not report it is overly sensitive.
There are thousands of i30's and its stablemate Kia Cee'd on the roads of each country they are sold in, the windscreen reflection is acknowledged as being an issue with all makes due to windscreen rake, singling out one manufacturer on the basis of a couple of test drives appears petty.
You do realise that if Hyundai/Kia made the improvements to soundproofing you are requesting that it would bring the cost to the same place as your beloved Seat, don't you? :rolleyes: :P
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

1. Road Noise
3. TMPS is sensitive

I and many other owners who have experienced Hyundai's TPMS do not report it is overly sensitive.
There are thousands of i30's and its stablemate Kia Cee'd on the roads of each country they are sold in, the windscreen reflection is acknowledged as being an issue with all makes due to windscreen rake, singling out one manufacturer on the basis of a couple of test drives appears petty.
You do realise that if Hyundai/Kia made the improvements to soundproofing you are requesting that it would bring the cost to the same place as your beloved Seat, don't you? :rolleyes: :P

I think point number two was put to rest in the topic about it with...

We worked out for another member many moons ago (short female) that this can be helped by adjusting your seating position. Taller drivers don't seem to notice this as much and although of only average height my driving position doesn't give me this reflection in an FD i30.  :cool:

Ah that would explain things - I'm officially a dwarf - thanks now we've got that resolved lets move on ...
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
This has intrigued me for a few years.
I not only repair i30s but also own an FD 2.0L petrol and a 2012 diesel wagon. They all have noticeable road noise. It is about the only minus I can give an otherwise superb car.
 At first I thought it was tyres and also poor wheel alignment. Changes to both helped somewhat , but ...I have reached the conclusion that much of the noise is resonating on the front left side ( passenger area). Probably via the strut. Possibly the bulkier driver's side dash/ steering column  etc. is dampening that side??? The CRDi has more bulkhead insulation, but that does not seem to make much difference to the road noise.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I not only repair i30s but also own an FD 2.0L petrol and a 2012 diesel wagon. They all have noticeable road noise. It is about the only minus I can give an otherwise superb car.
 At first I thought it was tyres and also poor wheel alignment. Changes to both helped somewhat , but ...I have reached the conclusion that much of the noise is resonating on the front left side ( passenger area). Probably via the strut. Possibly the bulkier driver's side dash/ steering column  etc. is dampening that side??? The CRDi has more bulkhead insulation, but that does not seem to make much difference to the road noise.

Interesting - I haven't really noticed it emanating more from that side in mine.  Might have try to do some more listening.

What kind of repairs? Crash/panel beating? Mechanical?

I wanted to have you on about the suburb you indicate as your location being in Brisbane, but I can't because it is the same with where I live (and about the same distance to the CBD)  :D

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

| members may recall that in 2012, before I swapped my FD i30 1.6 CDRi for the then new GD model I carried out an exhaustive road test and compared it with the VW Golf. I have a professional decibel meter left over from the days when I was an engineer - and used it to measure cabin noise in the various cars.

This is what I posted after receiving my new car :-

I have driven my new car over the same route that I test drove a new 2012 i30 1.6 CRDi Classic and a VW Golf 1.6 TDi SE to compare cabin noise with my previous i30. The i30 classic and VW Golf had 15” wheels so I was expecting the new car with 16” wheels to be slightly noisier.

I am pleased to report that my decibel meter had good news and confirmed that Hyundai’s  efforts have produced the intended result – these are the comparisons of the maximum average noise levels for each car for various conditions. Cabin noise levels are measured in dBA

Offline piotr

• 1st Gear

• be Belgium
Is it a Golf 6 or 7?

I drove golf 7 over 6 months before I had i30.

The noise really starts above 120km/h. Below hyundai is a quiet cruiser.
In the city I cannot hear any difference. On the motorway, it's at least 3dB more than in Golf.

Cheers

• i30 tourer 2015

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Noise does seem to be subjective and perspectives can differ from person to person.
I recently drove a brand new Golf (petrol) for a week while my i30 (GD diesel) was in the dealership.
Around town I found the Golf to be noticeably quieter than my i30, but on the highway there was substantial noise emanating from the rear cargo area which made it quite a noisy little beast at highway speeds on Western Australia's coarse bitumen highways.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Any auto Venga details available  :question: 

Out of interest
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I haven't tested the Venga yet - for sure it is no worse than my last i30.......now where is that bloody decibel meter????

I will check later........

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
now where is that bloody decibel meter????

I hear you put it somewhere safe.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

See my New Venga thread for noise level comparisons

:link: My New KIA Venga
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 16:25:41 by AlanHo »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Interesting - I haven't really noticed it emanating more from that side in mine.  Might have try to do some more listening.

What kind of repairs? Crash/panel beating? Mechanical?

I wanted to have you on about the suburb you indicate as your location being in Brisbane, but I can't because it is the same with where I live (and about the same distance to the CBD)  :D

I did everything!! But it's merely a hobby these days, not business. My original profession was in electronics so that helps somewhat in this age of modernity where cars become de-registered write-offs merely because the carpet got damp.
 :)

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I did everything!! But it's merely a hobby these days, not business. My original profession was in electronics so that helps somewhat in this age of modernity where cars become de-registered write-offs merely because the carpet got damp.
 :)

Ahh I see.  So your were in electronics, then went into car mechanics industry and now is a hobby?  I went from electronics into software QA.

Offline cdgeorge

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Norfolk
Well this is my post - I started it - so now I can get some proper conclusions on this over a longer term test because - I AM NOW AN OFFICIAL OWNER OF A BRAND NEW HYUNDAI i30 !!! The SE Blue 1.6 turbo diesel.

I picked up the car from Rockar who are in the Blue Water Shopping Centre near London - and this required a 130 mile road journey home (we took the train down there).

One amazing thing to note first off is that the tyres on the i30 are MICHELIN ENERGY. Looks like the new i30's from here are on are using MICHELIN instead of HANKOOK.  The road noise from memory was far better so I am pleased! I took the M25, M11, A11 home.

Stupendously good ecomony - if you believe the trip computer it read an average of 66 mpg for the journey home!

Things are looking up so far.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is good to hear. Looking forward to some more positive feedback (hopefully) :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cdgeorge

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Norfolk
That is good to hear. Looking forward to some more positive feedback (hopefully) :goodjob:

Thanks - I will tell it as it is, no holes barred. I've just driven to work - I'm still happy with the road noise.

Don't you all think it's great that Hyundai have improved their tyres :)

I think I'll start a new thread now I've got this new car because this particular thread is about road noise specifically.

Let's conclude this one.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Yep, some of the Norfolk road surfaces transmit and amplify the "roar" anyway.
Driving to work (Crown Point Norwich) and depending on the vehicle I drove, I wore ear muffs.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal