i30 Owners Club

Advice please - Dents/Scratches

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi Guys

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the following and/or if anyone has done any dent removal of similar issues.

The Right Hand Rear door - I did that, a few weeks after getting the i30 (about 4 & 3/4 years ago), swung around in an underground carpark... forgot car was longer than the previous one...

The Left Hand Rear door - looks like someone has backed into it at a slight angle in a car park... no note.   :crazy1:

Thought there are slight dents in the LHR - I suspect (already started) that some cut & polish and a lot of elbow grease will get rid of the paint transfer.  Any thoughts on what to use and/or techniques?

As for the RHR - it hasn't corroded/oxidised so I am not too worried.  Just wondering if, the gouges at least, is something I could work out - or if it getting such out is difficult requiring skill?

Thanks
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd get a quote to fix both by one of those travelling repair guys. Might get a pleasant surprise. If too dear see just for the worst one and use light cutting compound on the other...  If they were on the bumpers I'd get computer matched paint in a spray can and do it myself. But not on door or guard.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Or maybe you could just replace the doors...  :lol:

:link: Hyundai I30 Door Boot Gate Lock RH Front FD Hatch 09 07 04 12 07 08 09 10 11 | eBay

Thanks rustynutz - actually that isn't such a silly idea.   But I have a sneaking suspicion the i30 hatch rear doors and the i30cw rear doors aren't quite the same shape (or they fitted them with differently shaped glass).

EDIT: I think I have spotted the difference - the overall door dimensions may (mostly) be the same however - the i30 door, where door becomes windows, flicks up at the back to make a curve with the triangle window in the body behind it.   The i30cw door the door/window interface remains flat - bugger!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:42:50 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd get a quote to fix both by one of those travelling repair guys. Might get a pleasant surprise.

Yep. Over here we have chipsaway which don't deliver french fries, but made an excellent job of the driver door in my FD. Real cheap too.

I reckon the same guys, if you were to fly them over, would charge you around $450 to get all that fixed. In around 3 hours.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
If you have lived with it for the best part of 5 years, I would be tempted to get a DA polisher onto it with coarse grade cutting compound, then a fine grade compound.  This will take out most of the cosmetic scratching and sod any dents!
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd do what Rusty mentioned and try and find some doors second hand from the same colour car but if that wasn't possible I think Shambles was on the money with around $450 to get re-done.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'd go to a reputable painter or three and get quotes for a professional repair.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
If I had any of those dents/scratches on any of my cars they would drive me insane,sorry but that's what insurance cars are for,but as a few others have said,I'd be looking for some SH doors,cut and polish the rest of the scratches,just looking at the two spots you've shown us,I guarantee if you go to a panel beaters you won't get any change out of $3000
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal