i30 Owners Club

Bluetooth Issue with steering mounted controls

Offline aerobharath

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire
Hi guys,

Its been a week with this amazing car. 2012 i30 Active 5dr 1.6 CRDi.

I have a Samsung galaxy s6 which i connect with the car via bluetooth.

When I play music from my phone i cant play/pause/skip tracks using the steering mounted controls. I atleast need to skip tracks using that. Every time i need to reach for my phone to do anything. Is it like this by standard or is there any thing im missing here.

Please let me know since i use the car 2.5hrs every day for commuting to work.

thanks in advance.
  • Hyundai i30 Active 5Dr 2012 - 1.6L CRDi - 110PS

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi guys,

I have a Samsung galaxy s6 which i connect with the car via bluetooth.

When I play music from my phone i cant play/pause/skip tracks using the steering mounted controls. I atleast need to skip tracks using that. Every time i need to reach for my phone to do anything. Is it like this by standard or is there any thing im missing here.

Please let me know since i use the car 2.5hrs every day for commuting to work.

thanks in advance.

Hi aerobharath

:welcum:

Just recently we had a similar discussion topic - where the author had a Samsung Galaxy S5 - though his was about handsfree not working.  I suspect though it is the same, or highly related issue.  See :link: Samsung Galaxy S5 phone issues  Also shows how you can check/update (IIRC) your versions.

Could you see if handsfree works for you?

It seems to be a compatibility issue - that, per topic above, Hy seem to be aware of.  Though maybe you want to contact iCare (or equivalent in the UK to 'find out what the problem' is) - squeaky wheels and all that.

Unfortunately I don't know that you can play/control Android devices via. USB cable - though maybe (if you can) put the phone into Mass Media for USB connection it will act like a 'flash drive' and you will be able to use the normal controls of the radio reading such media.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Hi aerobharath

:welcum:

Great to hear you are so pleased with it.

Why not have your phone connected via bluetooth (for calls) and use a separate Thumb drive/memory stick via USB for your music.

They are cheap and generally work very well. Less loss of sound quality via USB as well from my understanding.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline aerobharath

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire

Just recently we had a similar discussion topic - where the author had a Samsung Galaxy S5 - though his was about handsfree not working.  I suspect though it is the same, or highly related issue.  See :link: Samsung Galaxy S5 phone issues  Also shows how you can check/update (IIRC) your versions.

Could you see if handsfree works for you?

It seems to be a compatibility issue - that, per topic above, Hy seem to be aware of.  Though maybe you want to contact iCare (or equivalent in the UK to 'find out what the problem' is) - squeaky wheels and all that.

Unfortunately I don't know that you can play/control Android devices via. USB cable - though maybe (if you can) put the phone into Mass Media for USB connection it will act like a 'flash drive' and you will be able to use the normal controls of the radio reading such media.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, Handsfree works without an issue. Its only when I use my music player on my phone, I cant seek tracks using the UP/DOWN controls near the volume controls on the left :( which is really annoying as I need to bring the phone screen back up and aim to hit the tiny button on the phone screen. It became really risky few times as i took my eyes off from the road at 70mph. :(

Im looking at accessories where i can set a receiver on one end on the 12v and and remote which can be attached to the steering wheel. But this is really bad that you cant do certain basic functionalities with the bluetooth connection.

thanks
  • Hyundai i30 Active 5Dr 2012 - 1.6L CRDi - 110PS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
So my idea of using a thumb drive is not worth a try?  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Just to keep Dazzler happy (it is important you know  :lol: ) and as a temp workaround - you could do as he suggested... USB stick for music.

Unfortunately  I don't have a Samsung Galaxy S6 (or S5 - per the other thread... :link: Samsung Galaxy S5 phone issues) - nor UK navigation headunit (or a GD i30 for that matter).   However I did a little research - seems likes lots of people with S5/S6, etc. are having a variety of Bluetooth issues with a variety of cars and/or headunits!   So it isn't just you.   Seems many of them didn't have the issue with either a) an older phone; and/or b) older Android version.   Many of them seemed to be having the case of few years old car - new phone (or updated to latest OS version) - apparently clearing the phones Bluetooth cache was a fix for OS update issues (don't think so in this case).

Two things seem to be semi-common as possible fixes....

Smart Lock (google app - so guessing part of Android) apparently causes Bluetooth issues - with some people saying turning it off fixes issues - I would give this one a shot first....  Here is a Czech guy turning it off: :link: Android lollipop problem with Bluetooth connection - YouTube and describing it as 'Smart Lock this is a bullshit' - note he restarts the phone after turning Smart Lock off, then erase all (bluetooth) data and restarts again.   I think the erase part is the same as detailed here under 'How to fix Samsung galaxy S5 Bluetooth issues.' here: :link: How To Fix Samsung Galaxy S5 Bluetooth Issue ? TechnoBezz

I am not sure how it would fit into your situation, the fact the hands-free works but the track controls don't - but maybe the track controls are seen differently to the hands-free controls?!?

Another thing that seems to be causing issues is MirrorLink (implemented in Android 5) - some people also seem to have issues having it off an stay off.   This seems to be more related to the audio/video site of things (rather than phone)... But, as far as I know, it needs USB connection - so don't know why it seems to be Bluetooth related (or maybe people are using BT and a USB cable and confusing what is happening) who knows...

At the least I would suggest it is something to check and/or turning it off - seems to be in 'Settings -> Connections/More connection settings' this page shows turning it on: :link: How do I use MirrorLink ® to connect my Samsung Galaxy S6 to my car?

One other thing that could be worth a shot is taking a screenshot of the details of the BT connection to the head unit and posting it here (see elsewhere for imgur/photobucket use) - in case someone can spot something 'odd' in them (sought of doubt anything - but who knows).  See the following on how to get to details :link: Connect to Bluetooth - Nexus Help and here on screenshot :link: How to take a screenshot on the Samsung Galaxy S6 | Android Central (apparently you can also swipe with your palm left or right as well)

FYI here is an article on how to turn on SmartLock: :link: How to: Enable Lollipop's Smart Lock in TouchWiz on the Galaxy S5 | Droid Life

Offline EmpiriuS88

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
      Velenje
The Hyundai has pretty crappy BT for music steering control. I need to switch music on telephone in my I30. But I have no problem switching music on dads peugeot steering controls.

I wonder if there is a way to fix it, or is it just not that great BT that Hyundai uses.
  • 2014 GD 3 Door Hatch , 1.6 CRDi, manual

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Just had random stupid idea... probably not relevant at all... as my FD-01 (AU specific BT) headunit is 4-5 years old, etc., etc.

But my headunit under Bluetooth has 'Bluetooth Phone' and 'Bluetooth Audio' - I am not sure but I think a BT audio device is separate to a Phone device.   Now maybe 'Audio' is a subset of 'Phone' so it exists purely for non-Phone audio devices which are BT capable.  Just don't know.

But it occurs to me maybe there is a separate pairing for 'Audio' and somehow the S6 triggered it - could be useful to see if you can pair it as an audio device separately.   I suspect not, but who knows.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
The Hyundai has pretty crappy BT for music steering control. I need to switch music on telephone in my I30. But I have no problem switching music on dads peugeot steering controls.

I wonder if there is a way to fix it, or is it just not that great BT that Hyundai uses.

I suspect software updates to head-units are needed - but the question is will they produces new ones anytime soon and will they fix the problems.  Car manufacturers seem to always be very behind on firmware updates (if any) esp. for the latest device support.  And ones that do come out don't necessarily fix the biggest issues.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Maybe the following will help (comes from some forward movement on the other, similar, topic)...

Not tested yet - can I ask someone with the issue to try it and tell us the result...

A Bluetooth 'Trusted devices' will cause the phone to stay unlocked while the trusted device is present - maybe because of the trusted device feature the phone won't take input via BT while locked. See: #1 of :link: Got Lollipop? 10 cool things to try with Android 5.0 | Computerworld

Again - guessing (as I don't have the devices) and assuming you use a secure lock method for your phone - interesting that hands-free works... but maybe you already have the 'dial while locked' option (see :link: Samsung Galaxy S5 phone issues) enabled.

Anyway hope this is of use.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal