i30 Owners Club

Lights don't go off when key removed

marabak · 13 · 4365

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Hey

I recently took my car in for an MOT/Service (26/9), where it was picked up that the front brakes needed replacing as an advisory. I took it back to the same place at the weekend (3/10) to get this done and since then, I've noticed that my lights nor my dashboard lighting don't go out immediately after removing the ignition key. I haven't tested to see if they go off on their own after a certain time period, as both times I have noticed, I have manually turned them back off.

I'm sure, prior to this, that all electrics would turn off immediately when I removed the key.

I can't see anything in the manual about this being a feature, but I have only had a cursory glance up to yet.

Is this a thing you can toggle on and off, that somehow the garage have turned on whilst changing my brakes, and can I turn it back?

My car is a 2009 (58 Plate) SE

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Do they go out when you remote-lock your car?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
My 2008 let the (parking)lights on until I open the drivers door, then everything goes out...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Is that not the " follow me light"?
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Is that not the " follow me light"?
I'm sure that isn't a feature on the 2008 FD series.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Ah ok was just guessing lol
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My 2008 let the (parking)lights on until I open the drivers door, then everything goes out...
Same on my 2009 FD.
Actually, the head lights go out when you turn the ignition off and remove the key.
The parking lights stay on until you open the door.
Then,,,,,,, "poof" . Gonzo.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Might be the key sensor fault.

marabak by 'my lights' are you meaning headlights or park/positioning lights?

Mine work as Asterix seems to be stating.  I leave the control for my headlights on all the time - when I turn the car off the headlights go out.   When I remove the keys from the ignition and open drivers door the park/position & dashboard lights (excepting panel with door indicator) go out - if the drivers door is already open then they go out on key removal.

I will ask, in addition/variation, to Shambles question: Do your cabin lights go out immediately when you remote-lock your car? (Since you noticed the issue you are asking about.)  And/or do the indicators flash correctly (check manual regards security system arming) on remote-lock?

The reason being there is a known problem, on some FD i30 (don't recall details), where the spring for the 'key in ignition' sensor is a little weak.  Eventually build up of grim and/or change in grease consistency causes it to stick, resulting in the car sensing the key is inserted in the ignition when in fact it isn't.   If I remember correctly symptoms can include (per questions above) - cabin lights not going out immediately; indicators not flashing correctly (indicating state of security system).  And I wouldn't be surprised if the same sensor is involved in the park & dash lights.

I would be suspicious of it being something like this.

In regards to toggle-able... maybe??  I know some features in mine can be turned on and off - inc. one in the manual which reads "if equipped".  However on the FD body I am pretty sure you (well someone with the appropriate service equipment) need to connect to diagnostics to make option changes, and I am not sure why they would be doing that for brake pad change.   However if they are full-service garage (with the appropriate equipment) or a Hyundai service center they may have connected to diagnostics as SoP for any service (check everything is fine - because if it isn't then potentially more chargeable work for them).

If it is a Hyundai SC, or Hyundai authorised, then it is possible they might have changed an option on advice from Hyundai (TSB, etc.) - but I would find it poor form not to inform you and/or record it on the invoice.  And I sought of doubt, except for legal requirements (and I can't see that in this case), that such would be done on a 58 plate vehicle.   I do know some dealers, when selling,  turn options on/off/adjust pre-delivery based on previous customer feedback (i.e. tailor for local market) - but again I would find it poor form to make such a change post-delivery (such as at a service) without asking the owner first.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Jeepers my book club will be impressed..  Looks like a book on my phone anyway! 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^^^
ibi's post above is comprehensive but, my car doesn't have an auto headlight setting so maybe the OP's doesn't either. Maybe it depends on the level of trim.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
^^^^^
ibi's post above is comprehensive but, my car doesn't have an auto headlight setting so maybe the OP's doesn't either. Maybe it depends on the level of trim.

Okay - interesting... my Owner's Manual is copyright 2009.  I think the call it 'Battey save function' on Page 4-15 regards to what I described regards park lights - manual doesn't mention "(if equipped)" so I thought it was standard.

As an aside, in my manual no mention of 'follow me home' function (though I think later FD models got it).

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Hi guys

Thanks for the responses. When I noticed it before, I don't think I had locked the car (but then again I don't think I needed to previously). Strangely, I played with it a little bit this morning, and I can't get it to replicate it. The lights (sidelights and headlights) both go out now when I remove the key, before locking the car etc. Admittedly I think I had the car door open at the time.

Looks like I might have to just keep an eye on it until it happens again, then I can try and find the exact combination which is causing it.

Ibrokeit: I think my indicators are working correctly when remote locking.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi guys

Thanks for the responses. When I noticed it before, I don't think I had locked the car (but then again I don't think I needed to previously). Strangely, I played with it a little bit this morning, and I can't get it to replicate it. The lights (sidelights and headlights) both go out now when I remove the key, before locking the car etc. Admittedly I think I had the car door open at the time.

Looks like I might have to just keep an eye on it until it happens again, then I can try and find the exact combination which is causing it.

Ibrokeit: I think my indicators are working correctly when remote locking.

Cool.   Is your indicators working correctly based on your observations this morning (when you couldn't replicate the issue you saw)? or from before?

If the former it maybe something to check on the next time you see your issue (if it happens again).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal