i30 Owners Club

Problem with the gearbox

Offline ThunderStruck

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hello,

Couple of months ago I bought Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi, 2011, diesel engine with 6 gear manual gearbox. The car has went 120 000km.
I started noticing the problem now when the weather started getting colder. The thing is that, I am having a hard time when trying to put on 2nd gear. I have no problem at all with using the other gears.
However, the problem is no longer there when either the weather is hotter or I have been using the car for some time.
So far, i have thought about changing the oil of the gearbox but the dealer said that he doubts that this might fix the problem.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance
  • Hyundai i30 1.6CRDI, ISG

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Check the oil as it has been reported that by doing an oil change does help, especially in the colder weather with a slightly lighter oil.

Try searching on here and you shoukd find some posts on this
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As eye30 has mentioned changing the oil will help with manual shifts, especially in colder weather.

Do not change the spec of oil to be used but going with a better quality fast flowing oil will make all the difference, your spec should be 75W-85 the same as the Penrite gear oil I have listed here and also the gear oil I use myself  :link: PRO GEAR 75W-85 (Full Syn.)

Offline ThunderStruck

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
I will try doing this and write afterwards to tell you the result. :)
  • Hyundai i30 1.6CRDI, ISG

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.

As eye30 has mentioned changing the oil will help with manual shifts, especially in colder weather.

Do not change the spec of oil to be used but going with a better quality fast flowing oil will make all the difference, your spec should be 75W-85 the same as the Penrite gear oil I have listed here and also the gear oil I use myself  :link: PRO GEAR 75W-85 (Full Syn.)

CraigB I saw in one of your post you said you changed your gear box oil to the one you mentioned 75w-85 but my question is why did you use 75w-85 and can I use that oil for my i30 1.4 6 gear in the UK plz thanks mate
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
CraigB I saw in one of your post you said you changed your gear box oil to the one you mentioned 75w-85 but my question is why did you use 75w-85 and can I use that oil for my i30 1.4 6 gear in the UK plz thanks mate
I used a 75W-85 as that is the specified oil for my gearbox, I just wanted a better oil which Penrite is and it gave me the smoother gear changes.

I think it would be the same but you'll have to check in your owners manual for the recommended gear oil just to be sure.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
I used a 75W-85 as that is the specified oil for my gearbox, I just wanted a better oil which Penrite is and it gave me the smoother gear changes.

I think it would be the same but you'll have to check in your owners manual for the recommended gear oil just to be sure.
Thanks Craig I will check it out
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I changed the gear oil @ 180.000 km when I had same problem, helped a lot especially in the cold winter mornings....  :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I had the oil changed in my i30's gearbox last week...
Used the Penrite 75W-85 oil Craig recommended and all is sweet....  :goodjob:
Haven't driven it a great deal since then but shifts from 1st to 2nd do seem a little slicker!  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal