i30 Owners Club

Can't tell where front of car is?

Offline i30DieselAuto2015

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi
Had the car just under 3 weeks now - liking it
However I cannot for the life of me tell with any accuracy where the front bumper is for tight parking / manoeuvring, especially the front "corners"
Is it just me?     Has anyone else had this problem and gotten over it with time?  Or got any tips and tricks?
<Awaits insults>
cheers
  • I30 CRDI SE 1.6 Automatic

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
"ns" :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
OK, here is the solution to your problem, took me 50 years to figure this out but I don't mind sharing with a club member.

Roll forward, slowly and carefully and when you feel a slight bump yer there  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

This advice is given 'without prejudice' and is for advice purposes only, we, the management, take no responsibility for any injury material or otherwise when the other car owner jumps out and t&&ts you in the face  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^ Good one asa.

You have to make allowances for him. He's old.  :happydance:

However, my sister in law who's younger than he is (and me), still reckons that's what bumpers are for - to feel when you've gone as far as you can.
 But then, she still thinks they're made of steel - or did until she scratched hers one time and went in to a panel repair shop and asked about getting it repaired, "so it didn't rust".

The proprietor didn't laugh (much).

All jokes aside, you will get used to it over time but meanwhile, The Gonz's suggestion is a good one.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The obvious solution is to have front parking sensors fitted. It isn't cheap but far less expensive than damaging your - or a third party's car.

I am speaking from experience by the way....... :undecided:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Never tried it but how about using the headlights main beam to reflect the light off the object.

Using the reflection to gauge how close you are.

In daylight, be sure to turn them off or at night, dip once manoeuvre done
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Gonz only one with imagination here!  :lol:
my late Mother, used a cushion to sit on, but trucks use a mirror angled down so you can see.

Offline Ozknight

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
    • Tech Mobile Pro
I always find parking a  little closer than comfortable still gives me about 4 inches. Just go around and check every time. You'll work it out.
  • i30cw 2010 1.6 crdi

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
If you have rear sensors  reverse it in. What I hate are those curbs in the car parks that are made to just scrape under the front of the car.  :head_butt:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Pick standard sized parking spaces  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Hyundai i30 X

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Frankston, Victoria

• My 2015 i30 X Active. And my wifes 2015 Honda Jazz
I have had the same, problem. 1st few weeks of getting my i30.
I am still the feel of the, front end.
It's hard to judge on how, close you are or, how far away you are from where have to stop.
I am still guessing now.
  • Hyundai i30 Active X

Offline Hyundai i30 X

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Frankston, Victoria

• My 2015 i30 X Active. And my wifes 2015 Honda Jazz
I reversed into my drive and, winced when the underbody scraped the ground JohnB.
Never backed my car in anymore  :disapp:
  • Hyundai i30 Active X

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I always reverse in - because if I drive in, when I reverse out I will scrape the front underside unless really careful.  Where as if I drive forwards no scraping anywhere.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
"ns" :whistler:
If you need one of these Gonz,well and truly time to give up driving  :lol:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
OK, here is the solution to your problem, took me 50 years to figure this out but I don't mind sharing with a club member.

Roll forward, slowly and carefully and when you feel a slight bump yer there  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

This advice is given 'without prejudice' and is for advice purposes only, we, the management, take no responsibility for any injury material or otherwise when the other car owner jumps out and t&&ts you in the face  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:
Ah!the Ol Touch Parking method,works in the Semi,only issue is you don't feel anything until you see a smart car come out from underneath the front bumper  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
Yes this Is what I do every time I park at home next to the side gate! Just turn on the highs and watch as the  "spot" lights move closer (level) to the light source.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I used to park my old Barina like that. The old tin garage I parked it in was only just long enough so it was important to get forward as much as possible.
Quite a few times I hit the wall hard enough to bounce back....it's surprising how much spring there is in plastic bumpers!  :crazy2: :lol:

Oh, and while recovering from my broken ankle last year and being a bit naughty attempting to drive with a "moon boot" on my right foot I, "allegedly" stuffed up my parking when my boot got tangled with the pedals, my i30 mounted the curb and bumped into a post... :-[
Hit it hard enough to bounce back and ended up back in the parking bay...  :whistler:   :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :Shocked: @ Rusty!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
You're allegedly a very naughty boy!
"ns"

Offline i30DieselAuto2015

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
cheers for the replies - not too much abuse!    glad its not just me.     will persevere with the guesstimation technique, possibly try out the headlight technique, and try to avoid the bump technique!

• I30 CRDI SE 1.6 Automatic

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If you have the car parked under roof, you could have a tennisball hanging from the roof so it hits the windscreen when the front is 10 cm away from the wall. That way you'll learn how close you can get.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If you have the car parked under roof, you could have a tennisball hanging from the roof so it hits the windscreen when the front is 10 cm away from the wall. That way you'll learn how close you can get.

Great idea Henning. I forgot about that!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Ace idea :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
All in all, the due to it's shape, judging exactly where the front of the i30 is not easy for most people.

I think it is basically because (depending on exact seating height/position) for most people the 'horizon' of the bonnet is before where the bonnet ends and front of car begins.   Where in many, at least older, cars the 'horizon' was because bonnet ended and the front of car was below it - so most drivers knew pretty well exactly where their bumper was.

Having said that I notice is seems to be a modern car/driver thing and also applies to the rear of the vehicle.   I have noticed in drive-thrus that the vehicle ahead is stopped (and has been) I pull up behind it - and anywhere between half a car length to about 1.5m away they start edging forwards (presumably because I am too close and I am going to hit them).

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This might sound a bit weird, but when I changed cars, I used to very gently bring the car up to a wall until it just touched it. Somehow, looking at the wall from the driver's seat allowed me to judge parking positions without incident in all my years.

I haven't done this in the I30 and I can't park it for s**t. I've always got sooo much room to spare.  :-[

I've got a nice towbar on the VP, so I just go back until I crunch the other car's bumper, (only joking).
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Having said that I notice is seems to be a modern car/driver thing and also applies to the rear of the vehicle.   I have noticed in drive-thrus that the vehicle ahead is stopped (and has been) I pull up behind it - and anywhere between half a car length to about 1.5m away they start edging forwards (presumably because I am too close and I am going to hit them).

And again today - I came out of a side street, needed to be in right hand lane, so moved over into but was at bit of an angle with rear into left lane.  So straightened up by moving closer to car in front... with still about a metre to spare (by which time I was only in the right lane by cms - still on an angle) the car in front suddenly lurched forward (into admittedly plenty of space - 3m or so) as if I was about to hit him and kept glancing back, seemingly worried, afterwards. :crazy2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
You'll love what I'm seeing. :crazy1:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
As in people getting close and no body is worried?

Or people not being in their lanes?

Or people not knowing where their car ends and the next one begins?

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne

And again today - I came out of a side street, needed to be in right hand lane, so moved over into but was at bit of an angle with rear into left lane.  So straightened up by moving closer to car in front... with still about a metre to spare (by which time I was only in the right lane by cms - still on an angle) the car in front suddenly lurched forward (into admittedly plenty of space - 3m or so) as if I was about to hit him and kept glancing back, seemingly worried, afterwards. :crazy2:
If I was in that situation, I would also move forward.  I prefer to keep as large a buffer zone around me as possible, and to assume that all other drivers will do something stupid or make a mistake.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal