i30 Owners Club

i30 Cruise Control

bigjohn · 10 · 5379

Offline bigjohn

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Has anybody else had problems with the i30 Cruise Control? I bought a new 130 SR PREMIUM  2 weeks ago and have noticed that at low speeds (60kmh and above) that the cruise control will not hold on hills. At one stage I had the control set to 60kmh and came to a hill about 100 metres in length. By the time I got to the bottom I was doing 85 kmh which I consider to be unacceptable. On a very short hill in my town (and not very steep) it picked up 10kmh. At higher speeds, 110kmh, it seems to hold relatively well. I reported this to the service people on my first service and was told that they had connected it to the computer and there was no fault showing. Every other car I have owned (Holden Cruze and Mazda) with cruise control has held to within a couple of kmh. TO have it go over by 25kmh I believe is unsafe as well as unacceptable. Is this a design fault or is there a way of ensuring it will work properly? That is, should I be more persistent with the dealer?  Any advice from anyone would be very welcome. I am finding that even after 2 weeks it is  :crazy1:greatly clouding my opinion of the Hyundai. 
  • Hyundai i30 SR PREMIUM auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I understand your frustration. I have had cars that are good at holding a set speed down hills and others that aren't. Have you tried manually shifting to a lower gear in these situations to add a bit more engine braking? That is the only way most cars will hold on cruise down hills (using engine braking) Although my 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid used regenerative braking very effectively to maintain a set speed.

I can't see the dealer being able to do anything to change it other than trying what I suggest.  :cool:

P.S.  :welcum:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The only CC I've driven that downshifts was a Falcon hirecar around Queenbean's hills. The Hy isn't of the same sophistication. If you want it, try aftermarket. :phone1:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Manual or auto. My 2009 petrol manual holds ok down hill.
But I wouldn't be using it in hilly areas at lower speeds anyway. To hard on fuel consumption.
I've been using cc in various cars since about 1996.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Doesn't happen on my car
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bigjohn

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Thanks for the suggestion. Only problem is I bought an automatic!!! It just seems strange to me that all the other cars I know will hold on the hills to within a couple of kmh. But thanks for the reply
  • Hyundai i30 SR PREMIUM auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the suggestion. Only problem is I bought an automatic!!! It just seems strange to me that all the other cars I know will hold on the hills to within a couple of kmh. But thanks for the reply
you still might be able to select manual mode and drop it down a gear on slow descents.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Cruise control is a very basic system.  After the speed is set, the system determines whether or not to add more fuel to the engine (use the accelerator), if you are going downhill at a low speed, it cannot take out fuel below idle.  You will find that you will get the same result if you didn't have cruise control set and coasted down the hill (ie. foot off the accelerator).  Do as others have suggested, down shift to a lower gear.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Yes I'm happy enough with the 'dumb' cruise on Mr's manual i-30.
Had a Falcon that would hang when descending hills and coming from a truck driving background I found it really annoying.
The old Commo would roll away to amazing speeds downhill, scored a few tickets that way.
Just been driving an auto Prado all week, similarly annoying in that as soon as you touch the brake she automatically drops back cogs.
One minute you're ticking along at 100 and about 1500rpm, touch the brake and it's back gears and way over 3000rpm.
Then after a while it decides…….. nothing to see here and resumes lock up. 
  • i-30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 Odd - cruise assisted braking is one thing but not disengaging when physically braking? I'll take Firty's any day. :crazy1:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal