i30 Owners Club

Automatic Climate Control

Thumper · 14 · 12772

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
For some of those who are lucky enough to have full climate control in their i30 will know by now that it seems like the entire system has a mind of its own!

The reason why I purchased the SLX was because of the climate control system. I have owned 8 vehicles beforehand that had climate control, so I have learned some of the tricks and programming logic that has gone into these systems.

Several things I have found with the Hyundai i30 climate control system:

1) When you start the vehicle, you notice the air-con has come on, even though you never turned it on, and you are trying to heat the cabin. Reason why this happens, before the vehicle was turned off, the climate control was set to blow on the windscreen. Thus, when the vehicle is turned back on, air-con is automatically selected.

2) When you turn the temp down by more than several degrees C, the air-con automatically turns on. Reason why this happens is because you are trying to reduce the inside ambient air temp quickly. Solution, reduce air temp slowly, by 1 to 2 degrees for every 5 minutes. Air-con will not turn on.

3) Everything is set to auto, temp is set, all is fine, then after a period of time the air-con turns itself on. Reason for this is there is a solar radiation sensor on the dash. When it senses that there is now significant solar radiation that will cause the inside temp to rise, the air-con will turn on before the inside ambient air rises. (This happens when driving from an overcast cloudy day into an area that has no clouds and bright sunshine.)

4) Start the vehicle after it has been off for a while, outside air temp has now dropped to below frost point (Below 4 degrees C) You will see the outside temp gauge now has a 'snow flake' symbol before the temp reading. (This symbol also appears when outside air temp drops below 0 degrees C or when the outside air temp rapidly starts to drop) The air-con will now turn on to help demist the windows (Which, coincidentally will be fogged up)

5) First time the vehicle is started after sitting overnight, climate control set to auto, heater turned on, fan speed is rather low! (Minimum) Why is this so? Reason is because the engine is not hot enough to provide warm air into the cabin. If the heater set itself to full fan speed, you'll be greeted with freezing cold air, until the engine warms up. Once the engine does reach a temp that the coolant is now warm enough, the fan speed will automatically increase slowly to warm the inside.

6) Climate control is set to full auto, temp is set to warm. Computer sets to feet only! Why is this so? The reason is, hot air rises. Blowing hot air down low first will warm up the inside ambient air temp quicker than if hot air is blown towards the roof. After a set while, the climate control will now change air outlet to either floor/face or floor/windscreen.

7) Why is there hot air blowing on my feet, yet cold air blowing on my face when I have set temp to be hot? Reason for this is because after a while of blowing hot air into the cabin, your body will start to calm down as the head now starts to overheat. To combat drowsiness, cooler air is regularly blown towards to roof/face to keep the body alert and have fresher cooler air towards your face/airways. (If you don't like this, then you can simply turn full auto off, set air temp to warm)

If you find any other modes of operation (Programming logic by Hyundai) please post here, so we can all learn about the 'brains' that control our climate control system in the i30.

8-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Geez Thumper, you are a clever little rabbit..Almost as clever as our climate control...

Nicely explained... sounds like you find it to be a pretty good system overall?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Yup, for what it is, and the cost of the vehicle, I've found the system to be on par with more expensive vehicles.

(Though, the dual zone climate control I have in my V8 ute is 'slightly' better)  :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah thanks for all that Thumps, I learned something there :lol:[/quote]

I have dual zones too. In the car, and outside the car
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Geez... Another one with a V8 ute... you kept that pretty quiet (what's the bet Lakes will start a thread... "Our V8 utes"...)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Hey Thumper, you seem to have studied the climate control logic pretty intensely.  One question I have - I have never had a car with climate control.  Say it is a moderately warm day, you set the temp to 25 degrees as an example.  When the aircon gets the inside temp down to 25, does the aircon compressor stay kicked in, and the climate control starts feeding in some heater to modulate the temp, or does the compressor start cycling on and off as the temp goes up and down?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi L-D,

The Aircon compressor cycles on and off as required (from my experience)

ouri30
Yes, Dazz has it right.  I have studied the operation on a cold day.  As the temperature rises (and as previously reported), cool air is directed towards the face without the A/C coming on. If the temperature rises further, the A/C comes into play and begins to cool the cabin.  I've watched the A/C light come on.  Usually, when I notice the A/C come on, I adjust the temp knob a few notches upwards until the A/C turns off.  This helps with fuel economy on those mild days when refrigerated air is not necessary.

Bob

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
What temperature do most of you have it set on? I set mine on 28 degrees C until its warm then sit on about 25.5 ish

i sometimes dont like it having too much of a mind of its own and dont have the auto function on at times (i like a little breeze thoughout the cabin not just on my feet - makes me know im actually moving :P)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When the Wife's in the car I usually set it to 25 or 26 (on auto). If driving by myself prefer around 23...

Offline Chemist

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Croatia

• Croatia
When I click the AUTO button, green light on the A/C button is constantly turned on. Does that mean that compressor is operating continuously?

For example, when outer temperature is 18 °C and inner is set to 24 °C (AUTO on), the green light on A/C button does not turn of from time to time, although it should! Or???

P.S. It is summer in Croatia, and I haven't try this on cold winter days.

Offline wynpd

• 2nd Gear
Mine is SX so no auto climate control but I was about to have a whinge about A/C coming on everytime I start the engine, but it was set to windscreen so I learnt something too. Thanks!

Offline BodyBag

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
My climate has never seemed to work as it should from day 1 and works like no other climate system I have used, even though the dealer says its ok. The windows mist up at first sign of dampness and won't clear till i press the windscreen de mist button (tried changing the defogging logic status without any joy). I have the temperature set at 22c but on a really hot day with sunlight streaming through the windows the aircon does not engage till i push the auto button a second time illuminating the a/c button light and putting the a/c message up next to the auto message in the lcd display. In this state the a/c light stays on and the compressor stays engaged even when the cab is well below the set temperature, infact I have never seen the a/c automatically engage/disengage in the last year, I have always had to manually switch it on by pushing the auto button. If a fellow premium owner could tell me exactly how his (uk) spec operates I would be grateful.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I press AUTO and both "A/C" and "interior airflow" buttons illuminate. Have never sussed this out.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal