i30 Owners Club

Improve your wi-fi signal: is your router in the right place?

eye30 · 7 · 1270

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Fed up of a weak wi-fi signal? It could be as simple as a poorly positioned router. Follow our seven tips to finding the perfect spot…

:link: Improve your wi-fi signal. The best place to put your wireless router. - BT
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Mine is already in the best spot - hiding behind the TV. My desktop computer is upstairs in the study and connected by Ethernet to achieve a download speed averaging 106 Mbps.

My laptop gets a similar speed in the lounge but drops to about 75 Mbps when used upstairs or on the patio.

I'm sure I could get a better WiFi speed by locating the router in a more prominent position - but I have no need to.

Virgin Media have promised me a faster speed of 200 Mbps within the next 4 weeks, plus a modem router with dual 2.4 and 5 Mhz frequencies. I doubt that I will be aware of any difference - based upon the fact that I didn't notice the speed increase from 50 to 100 Mbps. I don't indulge in any web games or Video streaming though.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Because our house is nearly 30 metres long and Double storey I recently invested in one of these., which is positioned smack bang in the middle of our house behind a display cabinet. It works a treat and everyone gets a good dose of Wi-fi "radiation" no matter which part of the house they are in!  :whistler: :lol:

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX6200.aspx
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
My internet speed, via wi-fi, is 12.5 mbps. More than enough to stream HD movies etc. unless of course you have several people in the house all using big chunks of data at the same time.

I could get many megabits more through fibre-to-the-cabinet or from Virgin but I don't see the point. :)

I saw a tip on wifi routers a few days ago - if in a corner of the house then creating a tin structure behind it should delfect more into the area it is actually used in. Dunno if it works, mine's fine as it is.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
In a perfect world, your signal will double in strength on the correct side of a flat reflector and quadruple for a 2-d corner reflector; 16x for a 3-d reflector and about 30 dB for a parabolic reflector. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd buy that just for the look! Alan would look awesome with one of those on his head!  :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal