i30 Owners Club

2010 i30cw trophy (missing a front plastic cap on the roof rail)

skipper · 25 · 5604

Offline skipper

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, QLD
Hi guys. New to this forum.

My 2005 peugeot 307sw has been recently written off, so I've just bought a 2010 i30cw trophy, 2.0i, manual. I've got it for the same price, as the insurance company piad for the pug. It's got 92k km on the clock and is in generaly very good condition. It's got genuine tow bar fitted, which is a must for me and with the cruise control I'm satisfied :)

A few questions:
- fuel gauge and light. When I bought it, the gauge was on empty and the light was fully lit. I topped it up and was only able to put 45 liters in, so according to manual (they are fitted with 53l tank), there were still 8 liters of fuel in. In general, how quickly does the light come on?
- I'm missing a front plastic cap on the roof rail. Any idea, how is it called? I will try to source another one, but am struggling with how would it be called :) A pic of how it looks at the moment to get better idea.

- diagnostic/programming tool/s. I have a diagnostic/programming tool (clone from official peugeot and citroen tool - PP2000) for peugeots and citroens. I've bought it 2 years ago, as my pug came with only one remote key and dealer wanted 450$ for extra key. So I bought this for 130$, ordered a key from china for 30$, got the key cut for 25$ and the programmed the keys (had to program the old and the new one at the same time)... So quite a bit cheaper plus I got to keep the tool, so it came handy on a few occasions to diagnose faults... So what I'm asking:is there a software for Hyundai, that I could install and keep using this tool?
- This one also came with only one remote. I've found a couple of sellers in AU, that sell complete blank remote keys, 433Mhz, ID46. How do I check, which transponder is in my key? There isn't any sticker on my remote with codes. I do have a security code card though. I already know, that 433Mhz is freq for AU, so all good about that, just need to be sure about transponder (ID46). And when you get the key, get it to cut and then off to the dealer...is that a normal process for them or would they be able to refuse programming, as I didn't buy the key from them? I've already contacted MisterMinit locksmiths, and they can do it all together (supply the key, cut and program) for 299$, which is probably better, then the dealers price, but still a bit high for diy enthusiast, like me.
- the car is due for a big service at 90k km. Is there any info online, of what they do on this service? I do most of the servicing myself, so stuff like timing belt change, brake fluid change, filters etc are not something, I would like to pay big bucks to the dealer if not necessary. A mate told me, that they also run the whole car diagnostic (operation of valves etc.)...? Can I do that myself (maybe with my tool with proper software) or if anyone can recommend, what are my options for scanning tool for hyundai? As I'm an diy enthusiast I would really like to have a similar scanner for the car, that I had for the Pug.

Apologies if I didn't pick the right part of the forum to post this topic
That's it for now. Thanks in advance for any help and best regards
Beau
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 21:35:33 by skipper »
  • i30 CW Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Beau,

Very good introductory post. Some come in boots and all with lots of questions and no info for us to work with. You even managed a photo. :goodjob:

I guess you would call it a roof bar end cap. We've had discussions on here about how to get them off and about painting them, but not about replacement.

First port of call would be dealer to see what a new one costs. Around $30 or so I would just order one but probably something crazy like $100+ in which case ring around some wrecking yards to see who has any CW. Might have to respray though as MY09 and MY10 were black bars. Yours must be MY11 with Cruise pack like my wife's previous car. Got driving/fog lights as well?

She loved that car smooth gearbox and zippy. Not too bad on fuel either.

Can't answer your mechanical questions though, although there are threads on here about coding aftermarket keys.

I'll let some of our more tech mined answer those questions. 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The fuel light comes on generally @ about 8 litres.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I topped it up and was only able to put 45 liters in, so according to manual (they are fitted with 53l tank), there were still 8 liters of fuel in. In general, how quickly does the light come on?

Welcome to the forum, Beau... :goodjob:

Although it is a 53 litre tank, with careful filling you can bring that up to around 60 litres as the filler pipe is quite large...A word of warning though, don't do it unless you'll be driving the car some distance afterwards.

Re the roof rail cover, I'd perhaps shoot off an email to someone like this and see what they'd charge...

Good luck!  :Good_luck:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice find Rusty.  :goodjob2:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks Daz...I've actually updated the link now as I found one closer to Beau...  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline skipper

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, QLD
Hey guys.

Thank you very much. I've sent an email to the bloke with the wrecking one on ebay. Hoping for the best. I've actually found one with silver ones yesterday in Sydney and sent him a request, but got a reply today, that it's all gone :)

As far as I've found on the net, my trophy version is actually a limited edition of i30cw and only 500 hatch and 500 cw versions were made and sold altogether (2010). It's basically an SX version with all the extra added airbags (so 5 star crash rating), 16 inch titanium-grey alloy rims, front fog lights, ... More here and here.

Cheers
  • i30 CW Trophy

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Cheers Beau...  :)
There's another in South Australia if you luck out with that one... :link: Hyundai I30CW 2009 2012 Wagon Auto 2 0 NOW Wrecking Inner Handle LOT 29 3 | eBay
Going by the photo, the rail is damaged but the part you need looks to be okay so you might be lucky...  :Good_luck:

Offline skipper

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, QLD
Thanks rusty.

I've sent quite a few inquiries yesterday to pretty much every wagon wrecking, found on ebay (also the black rail ones...might just respray it). I'm pretty sure, someone will still have it :)

Regarding key, I'm in contact with fob key bank. They will cut the key for me. It'll cost around 100 delivered to Oz. I've read a thread from a lady in Brisbane...she was quoted 60$ at local Hy dealer to program a key. cca 160$ altogether sounds better then 300 from Mister Minit or 400+ from a dealer for complete key:)

Will keep you posted
  • i30 CW Trophy

Offline skipper

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, QLD
Slowly getting closer.

I might purchase this. It has a function VIN to PIN for Hyundais... I'm conviced, locksmiths use something similar.

Next thing is VCI with GDS, which is about 200 delivered from here.

I've already got two replies from ebay wreckers, that they don't have the part. I have a feeling, they want to sell the whole rails, not just the cap. Still waiting for a few other.
  • i30 CW Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update, frustrating about the cap. :undecided:

Offline skipper

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, QLD
Finaly one positive reply from ebay wreckers. Silver (at least wont have to respray) cap including clip (which I'm missing as well) 60$ delivered. Running out of options, so I'll grab it. :)
  • i30 CW Trophy

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Finaly one positive reply from ebay wreckers. Silver (at least wont have to respray) cap including clip (which I'm missing as well) 60$ delivered. Running out of options, so I'll grab it. :)

Good stuff. they do alright don't they...  :whistler:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
There was a locksmith in Brisbane that did a genuine key and program but its off ebay (perhaps due to Christmas).

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline skipper

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, QLD
Thanks beerman. I'll try to find someone after new years. I've never lost a car key, but I'm afraid, that I will now, that there is no spare at home :) Murphy's laws

Dazzler, oh yeah, fun to deal with wreckers. My cap is already on its way :)
  • i30 CW Trophy

Offline skipper

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, QLD
 :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 21:35:06 by skipper »
  • i30 CW Trophy

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I cannot see the image - it is perhaps not set for public viewing.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I cannot see the image - it is perhaps not set for public viewing.

I see you fixed it - the rail and the image. Good on yer.... :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks heaps better!

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I can't seem to get the caps off mine - any advice?

Thinking about fixing the problem where the tape or whatever that covers the metal strip (that appears to pass under the roof rails) has perished with maybe some vinyl wrap.   I think skipper photo shows the same has occurred on theirs.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal