i30 Owners Club

LH and RH Rear brake lights out bulbs ok cyclops lit if brake pressed

Offline mattymoo

• 2nd Gear
Hi
Issue with my wife's i30. Both rear brake lights do not light when brake pedal pressed.
The middle brake light led DOES light up ! So we checked the fuses they're ok (not blown), checked both LHR and RHR bulbs - they're not blown, and the middle cyclops brake led does operate normally when brake pedal is pressed.
So we don't think it's the brake pedal switch.
I suppose that just leaves the wiring.
Does anyone know where or how the wires are connected to the rear brake lights (ie inside the car on a plug or are they spliced from the rear led light) ?
Is this basically a dealership return issue ? We bought the car 2nd hand about a year ago it's a 09 plate.
Any advice will be welcome.
Matt
  • i30 5 door petrol

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Has this just happened or you have just noticed it?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline mattymoo

• 2nd Gear
Some one told the wife that one of the rear brake lights was out about 2 weeks ago. So we had a look today and found they were both out. I wondering as it's winter in the uk if water ingress may have something to do with it. When we removed both rear clusters to check the bulbs, there was loads of wet mud crud, pine needles and general gunk between the metal body and the plastic cluster. I cleaned it all up (looked like no one ever had) and then bolted it back onto the car.
  • i30 5 door petrol

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ok i see now.

one of our oz members is hy world #2 techi so he may have some ideas for you but at present time he is probably in the land of nod.

Ps
Welcome

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Could be a poor earth connection on the two lights effected.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline mattymoo

• 2nd Gear
Yes I suppose it could be an earth. The annoying thing is that the middle led brake light does operate perfectly - I wish it didn't, then I could just get a new brake switch. Trouble is, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to testing electrics, so we may just take it to a local garage near her workplace to see what they say. Not the best time of year to have brake light issues - but at least all the other lights (on front and rear) are working fine 100% - though it is of course, not legal to drive in it's current state (of 2 brake lights out). Tho I see loads of cars with at least one light out esp in the winter - so it's not like it's anything new ... lol
  • i30 5 door petrol

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Do the lights light up if you stomp hard on the brake pedal.

I ask because my dads i10 lights did not work but did if you stompped hard on pedal. Was a faulty brake light  switch and failed mot

Offline mattymoo

• 2nd Gear
oooo not tried that ... just pressed the pedal with foot not really trying hard - although the caveat is that the led cluster in the rear window does light up instantly - even with hand pressure on the pedal. So I do doubt that it is the brake pedal switch - though I will give it a go ...
thanks !
  • i30 5 door petrol

Offline mattymoo

• 2nd Gear
Right - Just tried stomping hard on the pedal and .... no change !

The middle led cluster lights up everytime - from lightest of kisses to stomping like an ogre ...

Both the LHR and RHR brake bulbs do not light at all - and aren't blown ....

Back to the drawing board

thanks anyhoo
  • i30 5 door petrol

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ok

Worth a look tho

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I would check with Hyundai if yours has had the Brake Light Switch recall done anyway - could some how be related.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As both brake light clusters have recently been disconnected and "cleaned" I would suggest that there has been some interruption to the circuit in both areas. Remove the clusters and check that all lights light up when required. Replace each brake light with a known good one and test, just in case the filaments have been broken when the lights were cleaned.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
All fuses good and LED working scream earth discontinuity. Check the cleanliness and integrity of the earth side of your wiring from the clusters. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hey mate.

You have your high mount brake light so switch, relay and most of circuit is ruled out immediately.
Your high mount uses the same earth as your LH brake light so we must assume your earth is good for LH. RH uses seperate earth so the possibility is there but i would bet the earths are ok.

How did you check the bulbs? A visual check alone can often be misleading. I would strongly suggest replacing the globes with new if you didnt already. And be sure they are correct single or dual filament globe (i cant remember which)

Have you tested for power at the globe socket?

Good luck.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline mattymoo

• 2nd Gear
We visually checked the bulbs - they're single filament.

Then we replaced the LHR (near side) with (i think) a 20w bulb from the kit we have lurking in the boot.

With absolutely no difference (ie no light up).

We did check the one from the kit was not blown before putting it in the car ... it's so easy to miss that kind of thing.

We wish it was just the bulbs - 'cos it would be an easy 5 min fix !

Thanks for all the replies, it's very much apreciated ... matt
  • i30 5 door petrol

Offline mattymoo

• 2nd Gear
The one thing we didn't do was test for power at the actual globe socket ...

I suspect it will probably be all due to water ingress thru the rubber grommets at the high point of the rear hatch on the LHS (when looking from rear of car)

We didn't take these off or disturb them when looking at the weekend - didn't want to break anything !

Thanks for all the replies anyhoo

matt
  • i30 5 door petrol

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal