i30 Owners Club

Hi and Greetings from Brisbane

simple · 34 · 6399

Offline simple

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi all - what a great forum, full of great info! I'm currently looking for a new car and have been impressed by the i30. I took one for a test drive on Friday and was very pleased with the interior, ride etc. However, it was a new car and it was mainly suburban streets with a quick blip at 90k on the freeway so couldn't really push too hard. After many years as a manual driver I'm going for an automatic (looking at the petrol 2.0 auto) so would appreciate thoughts from other i30 auto owners on the power and 4 speed box. Most of my driving is in the urban area (hence desire for auto) but do the occasional trip of 400k plus. Does the auto have enough "oomph" for hilly roads and for overtaking the occasional "grey nomad" or truck. (I'm no speedster BTW). Anyway - I'd appreciate any feeback from petrol auto owners on that subject.

Many thanks again - and keep up the great work!

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Welcome Simple,
I have a manual Diesel, so can't get close to answering your specific questions, some one will shortly though... I am sure

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK
Hi, hello and welcome, im glad you joined our family here on i30 o/c. Enjoy

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
gday simple from down in Victoria.my wife's cw is an auto 2.0 and it goes along excellently.it was a bit down on power the first 1000kms but she said it goes very strong now for a 4cyl.her last car was a 6cyl ford wagon and she says its almost the same power on over taking as it was.  cheers  steve
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome simple
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Greetings from Manchester UK :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
Welcome simple!

I've got an auto CRDI - I chose the diesel over the petrol because of how the petrol performed on the hills around my area. The diesel torque talks for itself. ;)

Still very impressed with my little car. :)

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Welcome Simple. :) I have a petrol auto and I'd say its quite zippy (I'm still under 1000km's so I'm trying not to over do it)  :razz: ... my brother gave it a spin and also said he was surprised at how responsive the i30 is when comparing it with his Falcon..
  • 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Welcome Simple. :) I have a petrol auto and I'd say its quite zippy (I'm still under 1000km's so I'm trying not to over do it)  :razz: ... my brother gave it a spin and also said he was surprised at how responsive the i30 is when comparing it with his Falcon..
   Ive posted that same compareson in another section of the forum.my wife went from a falcon wagon to a cw . :razz:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
   Ive posted that same compareson in another section of the forum.my wife went from a falcon wagon to a cw . :razz:
     i found it ......go up a few posts. :lol:

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
     i found it ......go up a few posts. :lol:

You did too...  :lol:

Well it's a Falcon sedan...  :razz:

• 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline simple

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Many thanks - good to know you find it "zippy"! A friend has an Elantra 2.0 auto and is going to let me have an extended drive so that will give a better idea also.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Simple I've just come back on line after a 2 week hiatus.. Welcome to the club.. You won't be disappointed if you can afford the extra go a diesel auto  :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
hi simple (thats not your name surely?)

i've only had my petrol auto 2 days so too early too tell and i'm babying it  a little so probably really cannot help  :lol:
there was one occasion today i went to go and it seemed to lack a certain pow and i thought briefly oh come on Snow, but that was in the shopping centre and it was a weird angle and all. otherwise i haven't sensed any issues with lag or sluggishness, its been quite zippy as mentioned. a couple of times it has been a little 'wonky' which is a little hard to explain but i feel at times the car is slightly flightly in its whole driving feel and the steering can be overly sensitive. also i find reversing particularly on a slight incline can be heavier than what i was used to in my very light ford festiva.

in comparison i test drove the 2009 model ford focus which felt sturdier to drive and easier to reverse than the i30. BUT this is not to the i30's detriment. in fact i found the Focus' test drive rather bland while the i30 is more exciting to me.

the torque has felt reasonable, its definantly more than i had in my ford, i haven't had a chance to really test it out or overtake etc yet. i will say the car feels slower than than my old car...i have to keep checking my speedo  :lol:
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline simple

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks Snowcherry. No it's not my name but I'm just a simple soul! (Guess Snowcherry's not your name either.) I'd  grateful if you'd keep me up to date on your progress. I really like everything about the i30 but was unsure how it would handle the auto box. It will be a big change from my present Mazda 323 1.8 manual but I do too much urban driving these days and auto seems the the way to go. (I hate the new Maza 3 BTW - ugly, ugly! so didn't consider it). Thanks again. P.S. loved the pics of your chariot!  :lol:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
heya simple

i've actually had the week off work but start back on tuesday - the drive out there is a little hilly etc and i get a few overtaking opportunities to on a 100 kph. if i haven't updated with some info by the weekend just give me  a nudge by pm. i may not be able to give you exactly what you want as i'm coming from a 1.5L 3 speed auto so obviously the i30 will be an improvement, but i'll be as helpful as i can.

and yes the mazda 3 was on my shortlist to but in the end i didn't even bother with a testdrive. very comfortable interior but i couldn't get past the exterior, and it seemed the services and parts ran a bit more expensive as well.

cheers (Tracey btw)  :D

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
so i've had a few drives to work and back this week
the hills out that way are not huge but quite repetitive, a couple of them would be 45 degrees. none are overtly high, maybe a few hundred meters or so. its just up, down, up, down, up down, corner, corner, up, down etc.
essentially the i30 isn't batting an eyelid at any of that. obviously i haven't had a chance at any mountain ranges or really steep hills at this stage. but the drive has been exceptionally smooth, overtaking has been great and very easy. my i30 does not like having the accelerator pushed down hard but she will cope with it ok (sorry Snow), take it a little slower and she will cope with it even better and do it almost as quickly. i feel at times she goes slower and is taking time but its just the weight compared to the 1.5, when i actually compare purely to say overtaking another vehicle i just fly past them effortlessly.

first few days i did still get a slight lag around 40k's particularly when turning a corner from a standing (give way for e.g) position, particularly when on an incline, however i'm noticing this is improving as the week progresses. i guess either i, the car, or both, are adjusting.

so i've had no issues myself. though as i say i'm comparing to a 1.5L light 1998 auto. this car is  amajor upgrade for me and the torque etc is a big step up. i also have a pretty relaxed driving A-B driving style. if you want a bit more torque go for a diesel as many suggest on the forum over a petrol. also see if the 2010 updates bring a 5 speed auto to the i30, otherwise unless you really want to "drive" the car i can't see why you'd be unhappy with the auto

p.s i'm going to get my father to drive it soon so i can pinpoint a rattle on the passenger side might pop his thoughts in here to, hi scar is an XR6

Offline simple

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Many thanks Snowcherry. Good feedback and sounds as though I'd be happy with an auto petrol. I am reluctant to go diesel for many of the reasons you outlined in your earlier posts. When I get a chance to try my mate's Elantra it will give me a good feel for performance. Good luck with the rattle. P.S. hope the Snow Chariot didn't get too filthy in the duststorm.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
nah she was fine, i live further north and the dust storm went around me   :mrgreen:

got my father to drive it today, he was relatively impressed actually and said it had plenty of power. he let it really rip at one point and remarked at how well it responded (that was the part that really impressed him actually). i realised watching him driving and just listening to the engine that what i had interpreted as the car not being happy at putting the foot down, was actually some 'power' coming out of the car that i'm just not used to. well this is my current deduction, i have to take her back out again. obviously i'm not planning on her flogging her to death but every now and then knowing you can really put the foot down is good. i could do it in the festiva but the response was quite different, i got speed but like a little speedy gonzalez, whereas this was just a big grumbly aaaarggh that i wasn't used to in comparison.

i also asked him his opinion of extra torque etc in the diesel variant over the petrol (as he particularly seems to like his XR6's power/torque) and mentioned the friendly rivalry here, and whether he thought it was "needed". he said no and that the diesel needed it only as they tended to be a wee bit underpowered to begin with.

extra drawback points,the steering can be a tad too sensitive. i have mentioned it before but after yesterday trying to cross over two lanes of traffice to the 'centre' to get into the far side of traffic, and then turn while looking over shoulder and into the setting sun i had no idea i had turned the wheel into the bloody centre island. scared the utter crap out of me when i then drove up and off the island a bit and slamming the car down with the hugest bang. and today my dad noticed to why i had turned the car into the island based on the steering, he thinks like me its just too "flighty".
i still have reversing issues on an incline. coming out of my garage. i back out and turn right trying to miss a car and a trailer etc. then the car gets stuck in a dip or two in the ground.  my old car i'd just tap the accellerator and she'd start creeping back again. but with the i30 she does not move! REFUSES.      i could put some weight on that pedal but that means a spurt of power equating to rear white guard scraped into large grey trailer. :eek:

so hopefully your drive in the elantra helps make up your mind - let us know how you go  :)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
This is interesting Tracey...

got my father to drive it today, he was relatively impressed actually and said it had plenty of power.

When he drove one during the test drives, he said this:

i dragged my father along for this, and got him to try it as well (i trust his driving opinion) he liked it overall but a couple of things niggled him and was very surprised it was  a 2.0 - he thought it was smaller after the drive. i think he expected a bit more from it.

Initially he thought the test i30 Petrol Auto was underpowered (smaller than he thought, expected more from it) now he thinks yours has plenty of power ???
Is yours turbo charged or something?
What changed his mind?

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
This is interesting Tracey...

Initially he thought the test i30 Petrol Auto was underpowered (smaller than he thought, expected more from it) now he thinks yours has plenty of power ???
Is yours turbo charged or something?
What changed his mind?

yup good pick up there Blue  :)
i have noticed this car does feel different to the original test drive car, e.g the brakes felt different, i had issues with the first lot. the original car was a SX. when i took the SR out for its test drive solo, i remarked to myself, well that felt much better to drive! i couldn't put my finger on it, but the SR just did feel better than the SX .

the original test drive was also a 60k zone only, while yesterday my dad took it out along the 100k highway which he hadn't had a chance to do before. i guess the other big difference is the SX was brand spanking new, we were first drivers while the SR now has over 500 k's under its belt.

now its very possible the original SX we took out was just a tad dodgy or needed to be used a little more, there's so many factors. but no the SR is definantly not turbo powered  :lol:

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
the original test drive was also a 60k zone only, while yesterday my dad took it out along the 100k highway which he hadn't had a chance to do before. i guess the other big difference is the SX was brand spanking new, we were first drivers while the SR now has over 500 k's under its belt.

That's probably why I wasn't too impressed when I first test drove the CRDi AUTO.. my test drive was in a 50 to 60k zone and I felt like I was driving around in my Getz.

It will only get better when there's a few more km's on Snow.. :)

• 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quick update.

Simple has decided not to go the i30 route but has plumped for the other "H" so we won't be seeing him any more  :'(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal