Sat-nav and clock problems

AlanHo · 6 · 2744

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
There are a couple of threads on the UK KIA forum where buyers of the new KIA Soul fitted with DAB radio and integrated sat-nav are having problems with the car's clock. It keeps jumping an hour ahead of UK time.

UK KIA Head Office appear to be clueless

If they reset it to the correct time - a day or so later it jumps forward again to European time. Theories abound about what is causing it, but one member has posted a solution as follows :-

Press nav, then address, France, Paris, then OK.
select, change destination, select start guidance.
press settings right side of head unit.
select navigation then route...
off you  go to Paris. When the computer gets there it resets.
Then return to UK and all should be OK.

So to cure the clock problem you have to take the car for a simulated trip to Paris and back.

Weird innit.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sounds like a value in one of the registers only updates via a trip completion , not user input.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
There are a couple of threads on the UK KIA forum where buyers of the new KIA Soul fitted with DAB radio and integrated sat-nav are having problems with the car's clock. It keeps jumping an hour ahead of UK time.

If they reset it to the correct time - a day or so later it jumps forward again to European time. Theories abound about what is causing it, but one member has posted a solution as follows :-

So to cure the clock problem you have to take the car for a simulated trip to Paris and back.

Weird innit.

Maybe they were built in Germany for Lidle/ALDI ????    possible init  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Weird innit.

Maybe they were built in Germany for Lidle/ALDI ????    possible init  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Was thinking that as I read the O/P  :rofl:   Which begs the question.. if you take the Lidl clocks for a real trip to Paris and back will they show the correct time  :D
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :rofl: :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Sounds like a value in one of the registers only updates via a trip completion , not user input.  :disapp:

:plus1:   Yup - most likely it changes when it gets into another timezone (either real or simulated trip) based on TZ boundaries defined by navigation data.  The first 'change' (UK to France) has no effect because it thinks, or is (according to it) in timezone being gone to; the second change (France to UK) has an effect because it recognises the difference and sets it appropriately (where it apparently stays set).   Course, as you say:  "not user input.  :disapp:"  my thoughts are: Guys, this isn't f'ing rocket science - to do and/or test.

As someone from a software, esp. QA, background - it disappoints me greatly such an issue wasn't picked prior to release.   While handling TZs aren't a big thing, or just isn't done, for non-satnav units and many other time keeping devices which either a) aren't location aware and/or b) aren't using a remote time signal from another TZ (i.e. unlike the Lidl clocks).  It is one of the 'big things' you should be checking for satnavs (or remote time source clocks) - esp. where you know there could be multiple TZs in any given trip... which is the case in many places in the world.   Some places in the world this would be less of a concern - any number of South-East Asia countries on islands, NZ (where there are different TZs - off main islands... you either wouldn't be taking your i30 there or it isn't a short boat ride to get to) and Japan - but for the most part...

Having said that I can't say I am surprised - being during Xmas I dealt with a pool-timer that didn't switch on overnight.  Turns out that, per instruction manual - i.e. how it was designed/produced/implemented - it is a simple 24-hour clock only and START time CANNOT be GREATER than STOP time (i.e. 00:00 is the least value; 23:59 is the greatest; and there is no handling for running overnight).  The unit is about 10 years old - so it isn't old enough to have suffered highly limited memory (like micros from the 70s) - so it was like... "Really guys?!? You designed it like that? Couldn't be bothered? Or you just didn't know how and/or didn't want to learn?".  FYI I did "fix" the problem by setting the unit clock off by 12 hours - timer turns things on/off during it's "day" which is really our night.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal