i30 Owners Club

Diesel vibration

ttc · 38 · 10675

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
Hi, yes I haven't been on here for a long time, I had some personal issues..  :(   anyway..

2013 6 speed diesel, doing the vibration thing. Not in the first two gears, but definitely in the higher ones, starts about 1500rpm. Goes away when I put my foot on the clutch. Car has 48,000km on it, I've only really noticed the vibration since the last service, and it's going into Hyundai tomorrow to be checked out.
I did do a search, and most of what I found was with the 5 speed boxes, not the 6.

Can you guys please tell me what they found your issue was ( especially if you did have the 6 speed) so I can print this out and show the mechanic so at least we have a starting point..
  • 2013 Active Crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I've never driven a manual diesel i30, so I may well be wrong, but remembering the high compression in the engine, it couldn't be as smooth as a petrol engined vehicle, under your conditions. I think you are asking a lot from the clutch at those revs. Other owners correct me if I'm wrong.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi ttc, sorry to hear you have had issues, both personal and with your car. You are right, the 6 speed has a reputation for being more tolerant of accelerating from lower revs. I only ever had a 5 speed in the diesel which did it a little bit under certain conditions. I think it would be exacerbated by the engine not running at its best. something like a bad dose of fuel? Any roughness in the engine would be accentuated when the clutch/gears  were engaged. It could obviously also be a clutch or transmission issue. Whatever it is, I hope it is covered by warranty and / or is a cheap fix. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
Thanks for the replies, it's definitely not a normal vibration, and the car never used to do it, so I know something is wrong.
Phil it cruises at 100kmh at around 2000rpm in 6th so it's in it's normal working range, and it doesn't do it in first or second.

Others on here have had clutch/gearbox/flywheel issues diagnosed by the dealer, I'm kinda really hoping on of them has the 6 speed :)

• 2013 Active Crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
One member reported that his clutch springs on the friction material were loose. Replaced and the vibration is gone. I hear what you say about the 100 kmh / 2k revs, but 1500 is not 2k and @ 17:1 comp ratio, it may be that it takes time for the springs to loosen to the point of making a noticeable vibration. I think my theory is verified by the fact that you say it doesn't happen in the lower gears, so it sounds like strain, to me.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
Thanks for your reply Phil, yes there was clutch springs, and someone else had a flywheel, and another had a leaking gasket.

I know this car inside out, it's not under load, it is not a being under load issue.  My work vehicle is a semi with a crash box so I kinda know how these things work :)

We also had a fd diesel manual for 5 years, and it never had this vibration.

Hi shambles, I read that post :) Constipated was the only one who I could see who had a 6 speed, other were the 5 (unless I misread it). I could have written an identical post to his except I haven't been to the dealer yet.   I think it's a clutch/gearbox issue, but those cars with the springs had more kms than mine, and easily 90% of my driving is at 100kmh on a motorway to work.

• 2013 Active Crdi

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
My car is a 6 speed FD and it makes the same vibration noise as what you mention.

It made the noise around 1 year from new and was diagnosed as oil from gearbox leaking onto clutch - seal and clutch assembly replaced under warranty.

The noise has returned but not as bad.  For me it happens when accelerating from about 35-40kmh in 3rd (eg: slow down for a round-a-bout and it's big enough to take in 3rd rather than in 2nd, and accelerating out of it causes the noise). 

I know I need to replace something in the clutch area as I tried reversing up hill (which later found out not to do that) and I have either done damage to the release bearing or fingers (what ever they are called) in the clutch.  I'm waiting for the car to be out of warranty (Nov 16) before I will either do it myself or find someone who is cheap enough. My dealer here quoted me $2,500 to replace the clutch.

Chin Ho and a couple of others had their flywheel machined/replaced.  Hman had the clutch replaced under warranty but the vibration returned.  It's annoying that there doesn't seem to be any pattern to fixing the problem and the dealers are quick to say it's the clutch as it has a limited warranty.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I've just posted in another thread about the vibration I've noticed in my 6 speed FD (U2 engine) in 3rd gear only at about 1800rpm. I haven't taken it anywhere yet to try and get it resolved, only seems to happen in 3rd all other gears have no vibration.
  • 2011 i30cw diesel 6 speed manual, 31/12/2015 - present

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
Well, I'm home.
They've diagnosed it as a clutch issue (no surprises there  lol    - sorry Phil, it's definitely not me  :razz:)  He told me they don't cover clutches under warranty after a short time (he did specify time I just can't remember) and what do I want to do as it's $1295.
I told him that there was an issue that Hyundai had previously fixed under warranty for others, and that it needed to be done. He's going to ask for it to be done under warranty, and we'll wait and see what happens next.  I told him that there were others on here with the same issue so Hyundai definitely know about it.

• 2013 Active Crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Again ttc. This fobbing off of the customer by all brands is getting annoying. From what I have heard Hyundai is not the worst, but it seems you have to be lucky to get a dealer who will go in to bat for you if you have a clutch, auto trans or Electric Power steering issue. Much like Ford dealers with Transmission and CV joints etc.. and VW and Jeep... Etc..  :head_butt:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol: :goodjob2:

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
And bloody can-am Spyder motorbikes..
  • 2013 Active Crdi

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Okay, you've got my attention! Do tell.... :)

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
I have a '13 RS-S Spyder, it smoked really badly for months and months, turned out the dealer over filled it at the first service, but it's main thing was that they changed the cat converter in 2013, and the new converter ran a lot hotter than the old one. It used to burn the crap out of my legs when I rode it. I had no luck until I got hold of one of the head honcho's and they changed all the panels over to the 2014 model ones which had extra vents under warranty. It will still burn my legs, just not as bad.
I found out yesterday that they had a recall on them to replace the ball joints as they were dodgy from new,  my dealer reckons they were done before I bought it, but whenever I hit a bump on the road it tries to change lanes on me, so my guess is they weren't actually done.

I have a seat cowl on it, and use the genuine can am straps that they supply... two sets have broken already from the first ride after having them fitted, not having a lot of luck getting them to do anything about that.. it's currently held on with elastic.

• 2013 Active Crdi

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for that, ttc...  :goodjob:

I've always had an interest in the Spyder and even had a few test rides a couple of years back.

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
Good news, Hyundai are coming to the party :)
They're paying for labor and the friction plate, and seeing what they find when they pull it apart to make a decision on the rest of it :D  :happydance:
  • 2013 Active Crdi

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
They're paying for labor and the friction plate, and seeing what they find when they pull it apart to make a decision on the rest of it :D  :happydance:

:goodjob2: :goodjob:  Noce!

BTW who are you going to for service?  Just curious - I live south of the river... though not exactly close by to you.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
How bad was your vibration Rusty, just mild like mine (I'm sure my girlfriend would never know it's even happening) or a real rattle?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just like yours, MetalDan, mild...nothing to worry about, I'm sure...

I find it just adds to the character of the FD...  :goodjob:

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Sorry I meant to say how bad is yours tcc?

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Hmmm, I wonder if I should push Hyundai to replace the clutch. Depends on your outcome. In my case, based on Chin Ho's posts I pushed them to assess the flywheel (I've got a 6 speed). They did find it to be out of balance and replaced it. Unfortunately not much difference to the vibration.

The vibration is so minor at present I have to drive differently to normal to bring it on. I don't know if it's worth the headache, but will watch your outcome.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
@ibrokeit , Moorooka Nissan. I live near Browns Plains Motorama and not that far from keema but didn't like either of them so it's worth the drive for a decent dealer :)

@MetalDan It's not that bad, I can definitely feel it, the dash rattles sometimes, but it doesn't feel like it's about to fall apart :)

What's even better is that they want it for the 27-29th.. so because I work nightshift it's awkward trying to get sleep and stuff so I took the three days off.... so when you count in the 26th being Australia day I only work one day that week lol   Just hope the car they give me isn't a getz  :)
  • 2013 Active Crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@ibrokeit , Moorooka Nissan. I live near Browns Plains Motorama and not that far from keema but didn't like either of them so it's worth the drive for a decent dealer :)

@MetalDan It's not that bad, I can definitely feel it, the dash rattles sometimes, but it doesn't feel like it's about to fall apart :)

What's even better is that they want it for the 27-29th.. so because I work nightshift it's awkward trying to get sleep and stuff so I took the three days off.... so when you count in the 26th being Australia day I only work one day that week lol   Just hope the car they give me isn't a getz  :)
A 1.6 manaul Getz would be ok. We had a new one in 2006 Brilliant little car! :D

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
@Doggie 1 ...
I don't know if you read this post I made, car goes in wednesday to have the clutch replaced, 6 sp manual diesel.
  • 2013 Active Crdi

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

I go to the same place.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
update..
I got a call from the mechanic today, Hyundai is paying for the friction plate and labor only. I get a choice,  Option A: Since Hyundai will only pay for the faulty parts, they will put the other older bits back into the car with the new friction plate.
Option B: I pay for the other bits to be replaced (the thrust bearing and pressure plate) and have the flywheel machined for $272.

I went option B. The reasons for this are that then all the parts are new, and for $272 I have a clutch that hasn't already travelled 48,000km.

Ideally I shouldn't have to pay for anything, because it's not my fault, but I can't argue with Hyundai on this so that was the better option to me.

• 2013 Active Crdi

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
By the way when they handed me the paperwork for the loan car, it specified no hillclimbing or racing.. I'm like sure.. Then I walk outside and it's the new Suzuki S-Cross with AWD lol.. I turned to the sales guy and said, "No hillclimbing right?"   :victory:

• 2013 Active Crdi

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
update..
I got a call from the mechanic today, Hyundai is paying for the friction plate and labor only. I get a choice,  Option A: Since Hyundai will only pay for the faulty parts, they will put the other older bits back into the car with the new friction plate.
Option B: I pay for the other bits to be replaced (the thrust bearing and pressure plate) and have the flywheel machined for $272.

I went option B. The reasons for this are that then all the parts are new, and for $272 I have a clutch that hasn't already travelled 48,000km.

Ideally I shouldn't have to pay for anything, because it's not my fault, but I can't argue with Hyundai on this so that was the better option to me.

Looking forward to hear how it goes after the repair. When is it due..?

Would have made same choice..  :cool:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal