i30 Owners Club

phones not charging via usb

Offline andrewQ

• 1st Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lausanne

• New i30 2015 1.4
We have 3 Androphones by Samsung and Motorola, none of them want to charge via the usb port even if recognised and accessible as storage. We can charge even the 10" tablet via the ciggy lighter adapter.
Why is'nt there enough charge in the usb plug?

New i30 2015 1.4
  • i30 1.4 pica

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
We have 3 Androphones by Samsung and Motorola, none of them want to charge via the usb port even if recognised and accessible as storage. We can charge even the 10" tablet via the ciggy lighter adapter.
Why is'nt there enough charge in the usb plug?

New i30 2015 1.4

I am not in the EU - so not familiar with things that may vary by region (i.e. educated guess - rather than sure knowledge)... and/or the features of your model variant.

I think the power for USB charge is supplied by the headunit (which could be a simple stereo/radio or a satnav+"entertainment" unit) - in which case it would depend on the spec of the headunit (you might be able to find the spec in the car, or a separate for headunit, user manual).

I mention this as I know the certain Australian (not Austria) specific OEM non-satnav headunits now supply 'charge' of 600mA (or more) for USB - but know earlier OEM non-stanav ones supplied current of less (something like 100 or 200mA).

So if you have the 'RoW' base std. stereo/radio (mono-blue non-touch screen) - it may just not supply enough current (due to hardware design - which could be a number of years now).  If you have an OEM sat-nav unit with colour touch screen - then I would be a little suspicious and maybe inquire with Hyundai and/or have it checked (if you can't find the specs for it)... being they *should* have been designed more recently and with more charge/power for USB.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Have you tried an alternate USB cable?

Not all USB cables are the same and just because it charges your phone from one USB plug doesn't mean it will charge your phone from another USB plug.
  • 2011 i30cw diesel 6 speed manual, 31/12/2015 - present

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Most USB ports supply about 1.5 volts, you'll probably find your phones require 5 volts - 1000mA

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Most USB ports supply about 1.5 volts, you'll probably find your phones require 5 volts - 1000mA
USB standard is 5 V, not 1.5 V. Perhaps 1.5 A is what you meant is common.

Likewise, your phone may need a little more current than what's 'currently' available to you. The different variations of the USB standard provide different current limits but the same voltage.

Signal: 5 V DC
Max. voltage    
    5.00±0.25 V (pre-3.0)
    5.00+0.25
    −0.55 V (USB 3.0)
    20.00 V (USB-PD)
Max. current    
    0.5 A (USB 2.0)
    0.9 A (USB 3.0 & 3.1)
    1.5 A (USB BC 1.2)
    3 A (USB Type-C)
    Up to 5 A (USB-PD)
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My mistake :head_butt: yes 5 volts, so more than likely the variation in mA would be the root of the problem

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
The built-in USB port will only supply around 0.5A, barely enough to charge a phone, but enough for bluetooth devices, etc.  Just stick a car charger in the lighter/power socket and you'll get a full 2A (if it's a decent charger).
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi comfort auto (pre facelift) & 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's exactly what I did to power my hand-held GPS installed as a permanent fixture. I bought a very cheap cigarette lighter adapter and pulled it apart, then wired it directly and permanently from the back of the left hand accessory power socket, running the cable up between the head unit and firewall and into the top pocket where the GPS sits. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
The built-in USB port will only supply around 0.5A, barely enough to charge a phone, but enough for bluetooth devices, etc.  Just stick a car charger in the lighter/power socket and you'll get a full 2A (if it's a decent charger).

Would sound about right - on the fair assumption the port is a 'charging downstream port' (charge + data) which may give 500mA - 1500mA for USB 1&2. Or alternatively delivers "high-power" current per USB1 & 2 standards (i.e. up to 5 unit loads or 500mA); and not just 'low-power' current per USB1/2 (i.e. 1 unit load or 100mA). Technically high-power per the std. (well it used to be at least) would only be supplied on request of the device to the host - however most hosts just supply 500mA (acting as charging downstream port at minimum current) as a matter of course (dependent on power constraints - e.g. a Raspberry Pi running on battery probably won't).

I can't seem to find where I got the 100/200mA figure for older FD head-units (e.g. PA-710) so I might have been wrong.

Anyway for those interested, again mostly this is AU centric, I know the following currents for head-units...

PA-710   :   ???  (maybe 500mA?)
FD-01     :   600mA (per manual)
GD-01    :    600mA (per manual)
GD-02    :    2A (per manual)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:23:00 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal