i30 Owners Club

Oil change on diesel model (should I use 'DPF' oil?)

sjc1608 · 15 · 8006

Offline sjc1608

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW
Hi all,

Just joined this website today and this is my first post... I bought a 2011 i30 FD 1.6L auto diesel two weeks ago. It's done 39,000km. Has had logbook servicing up to now. 5yr warranty runs out in Feb.
Never owned i30 before, never owned diesel before.
It goes really, really well... seems to just want to go by itself with very little effort on the pedal.
I got a minor service for it today as I plan to take it out to a country trip this next week. Serviced at my local mechanic who has serviced my Scooby Outback and Corolla for years.
The i30 engine has a sticker that reads "Caution: This vehicle is not fitted with a catalyzed particulate filter  and must use engine oil which meets ACEA B4 specs. Failure to use spec'd oil may affect vehicle warranty"
I queried my mechanic about the oil and he said it requires a DPF oil, which is more expensive than normal oil.
He said in between annual servicing, it shouldn't need oil top up and if I am worried about the oil, take it in to them to make sure the right oil is used.
I've read online here about DPF and whether it should be used or not, but am still not clear whether my car should have DPF oil or not ? The service invoice says a premium semi-synthetic oil was used but not brand/details. I am a novice when it comes to mechanics so would appreciate comments back from anyone, thanks.
  • 2011 i30 FD 1.6L Diesel hatch

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Your car doesn't have a DPF, so doesn't require a DPF oil.  As others have said on this topic, make sure it is fully synthetic and conforms to the ACEA B4 specs.

Sorry, but your mechanic is wrong, the sticker is correct.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
100% no DPF on your i30.

I use 0w40 Castrol Edge full synthetic. Expensive, but I make her work hard towing.

$200 for a service isn't expensive!

I do my servicing myself and spend:

- $65-80 Oil (depending if on sale)
- $25 Genuine Oil Filter (Hyundai Mobis from EBay)

I replaced my fuel filter the other day so I decided to get a Genuine filter pack from Ebay. Spent $99 and got oil filter, air filter and fuel filter
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :wttc:

Yes, confirming the above.
Your car does NOT had a DPF and the oil must comply as stated on the sticker.
Your mechanic is incorrect.
I use Shell Helix Ultra (NOT Plus) fully synthetic which complies with ACEA B4 as required
  • Tertius the i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Your mechanic needs to talk to his oil supplier and get some knowledge about new age oils.
The Corolla and Subaru use a basic oil. Very different requirement for the I30 Diesel.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline sjc1608

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW
Thanks for all the replies.... will talk to mechanic. If he's put the wrong oil in what affect will this have on the car?
  • 2011 i30 FD 1.6L Diesel hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Probably none, but there may be rubber or silicone components that don't like that oil, so I'd replace it.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Sounds like your mechanic needs to learn to read as the label on the engine cover is not easily overlooked.  :head_butt:

If he has used the wrong oil then there goes what's left of your engine warranty...

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
If your mechanic has used a C3 oil (as would be spec for a Hyundai Diesel with a DPF) you wont have a problem. C3 spec usually out ranks B4 oil but has additives for DPF equipped engines.
Perfect example is the 2006-2009 CM Santa-fe. The auto had a DPF fitted but manual did not. Exact same engine but auto has to run C3 where the manuals can run B4.

Either way find out exactly what oil he has used. He might have looked it up on his lube guide which shouldn't give a DPF option anyway.

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
Acea C3 is for DPF, and it is low saps oil. Ingredients that are good for engine protection are bad for DPF.
So, definitely use Acea B4 oil instead of C3. It is cheaper AND better.
I recommend Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, or if you really don't care for money, go for some ACEA B4 0W-40.
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 66kW with DPF, made 2011. in Czech

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
If your mechanic has used a C3 oil (as would be spec for a Hyundai Diesel with a DPF) you wont have a problem. C3 spec usually out ranks B4 oil but has additives for DPF equipped engines.
Perfect example is the 2006-2009 CM Santa-fe. The auto had a DPF fitted but manual did not. Exact same engine but auto has to run C3 where the manuals can run B4.

Either way find out exactly what oil he has used. He might have looked it up on his lube guide which shouldn't give a DPF option anyway.

Good to know Tim - not that I am planning on having issues with oils.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Good to know Tim - not that I am planning on having issues with oils.

I have zero concerns with you using the wrong oil mate lol.

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
B4 beats C3 AND is cheaper. My i30 has dpf but not all of them priducrd that year have one. So, when servicing , in Hyundai service, it is used B4 unless you need to protect the DPF, on the count of lubricating engine parts the better way.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
B4 beats C3 AND is cheaper. My i30 has dpf but not all of them priducrd that year have one. So, when servicing , in Hyundai service, it is used B4 unless you need to protect the DPF, on the count of lubricating engine parts the better way.

I hope you are using C3 oil in yours with a DPF. Otherwise you will be up for a very expensive surprise when you I30 cannot regenerate the DPF.

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
Of course I use C3 - Shell helix ultra ect 5w-30
But it has 0.8% saps and I will start using an oil c3 that only has 0.6%
For reference - oils that are not Acea C have usually around 1.4% of saps.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal