i30 Owners Club

Central locking

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My car's central locking has just started playing up today. It takes about 10-15 tries clicking the central locking button before it locks/unlocks. Tried both remotes and changing the batteries in them and no luck, so must be the car.

Tried checking all doors and bonnet to see if any are open and no issues. Also seems odd that it eventually works after a few cracks. I've only recently bought the car so not sure how old the battery is, but seems to crank over fine and before it started playing up today I'd just finished a 30 min drive so not just up the road.

Car is still under warranty but any suggestions on simple troubleshooting before I head to the dealer? Cheers
  • 2011 i30cw diesel 6 speed manual, 31/12/2015 - present

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
So it has happened at more than one location then? Electrical or other interference can effect the operation of the remotes.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Try disconnecting the battery Negative lead for about 30 minutes. The BCM Body Control Module will reset and possibly clear your fault. If it doesn't work, then take it to your dealer.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
@MetalDan

Not really, you have done the first thing I would have suggested (batteries in the fobs).   The fact it is doing the same thing with both indicates as you say something to do with the car or at the very least not the fobs.  As for car battery - probably not an issue in this case... mine had no trouble with locking/unlocking (first time each time) until one day the car was just dead (not surprising when  the old one read 7.6V or something).

One thing I am wondering about... during the 10-15 tries... do the lights on the car flash at all?  Just wondering - as them flashing would indicate it receiving the signal and trying to do as commanded - indicating maybe an issue with the locks/actuator (or their driver) part of the system.  No flashing the signal probably isn't being received - I am pretty sure if the system can't arm for whatever reason the lights still flash (just different to usual).

Dazzler has already covered RF interference - there are a few reports of such occurring.

Of course a bad aerial connection to the BCM could also show similar symptoms.  The aerial runs from the BCM (which is approx. behind the coin tray/12V socket, etc. - e.g. lower part - of the central fascia) along the dash somewhere - don't know that you can check it much though.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: ibrokeit
One thing I am wondering about... during the 10-15 tries... do the lights on the car flash at all?...

Also check the red LED on the fob - check if that also flashes when you click a button.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
This has been reported before.
Use search and you should find a few posts

It is the mechanism, think the actuator, needs replacing.

As under warranty get it back to dealer to replace
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks for the tips people! The red light flashes on the fob on each click so it appears to be sending the signal fine. No indicator lights flash on the car unless it eventually locks after the 10th time of trying, so I guess the signal isn't being received.

I'll try unplugging the battery as mentioned below for 30 mins and if that doesn't work I'll take it into the dealer. I need to get the vibration in 3rd gear looked at anyway so maybe I'll just take it to the dealer now.

Cheers again.
  • 2011 i30cw diesel 6 speed manual, 31/12/2015 - present

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal