i30 Owners Club

Recommend a good mechanic in Sydney

cleid · 7 · 2434

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'd like to have my recently-purchased Tourer serviced. I am still within the 3 month statutory warranty period so I would like to take it to someone who knows the car well so they can point out any problems that might need to be fixed by the seller.

I am in Sydney's lower north shore, can someone recommend a mechanic from first hand experience? And am I better off going to a Hyundai dealer in this car so they can read any potential error codes?
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Pick up a fill of your favourite oil and take it too a Hyundai service centre, technically your car should still have 2 years of warranty left which should have been transferred over to you.

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The problem I have is that there is no evidence of the 24 month service having been done by the previous owner so I cannot rely on the manufacturer warranty.

Hence why I'd prefer to uncover issues, if there are any, while under the dealer warranty.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
The problem I have is that there is no evidence of the 24 month service having been done by the previous owner so I cannot rely on the manufacturer warranty.

Hence why I'd prefer to uncover issues, if there are any, while under the dealer warranty.

Contact Hyundai Customer Care (i.e. Hyundai Australia) - IF the car was serviced at a Hyundai authorised service centre, they should have a record of it (AFAIK) and if so you should be covered.   If not it is technically, and quite possibly will be, as you say state (as those are the warranty conditions and if they haven't been kept...).

However, though not quite the same, I seem to remember reports of people getting the private warranty terms (full years and unlimited distance), even though they brought an ex-lease/hire (or used commercially) i30 - i.e. technically they shouldn't have due to the warranty conditions.   You might find talking to Hyundai Care that they might, or might not, be prepared to make allowances as long as the missing service is done ASAP (of course elapsed distance and/or time might factor into that).

At the very least contact Hyundai Customer Care to update the owner details - that way Hyundai can contact you in the event of recalls/service campaigns (while yours is a GD, the FD generation had a couple - such as the brake switch and power steering on some aka MDPS).   They can also advise you of anything like that outstanding on the vehicle.

Though probably more costly than an independent - I would suggest a Hyundai Service centre... I am guess you didn't purchase it from Hyundai dealer?  If you did purchase it from a Hyundai dealer with service centre - I would take to a different service centre (try to make sure they aren't owned by the same principle/company group).   Esp. if Customer Care has given you bad news... explain you want a service and to catch any faults within the 3months you have - often people are happy to oblige as it is 'sticking it' to a competitor (assuming service centre is part of a dealership) and possibly getting a new repeat customer.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks.  I have already updated details and called Hyundai as you suggest and they have no records, nor does the dealership where the car was serviced initially. I did have the car inspected before purchase so I don't expect any dramas but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I did not purchase from Hyundai and this is why I was thinking of taking it to one of their service centres. I will probably take it to the one nearest me in Artarmon if I don't get any feedback one way or the other.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Any chance of contacting the previous owner to find out the servicing history?  :undecided:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks.  I have already updated details and called Hyundai as you suggest and they have no records, nor does the dealership where the car was serviced initially. I did have the car inspected before purchase so I don't expect any dramas but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Ahh... bugger.  That sought of puts paid to that idea then.

I did not purchase from Hyundai and this is why I was thinking of taking it to one of their service centres. I will probably take it to the one nearest me in Artarmon if I don't get any feedback one way or the other.

Cool - yeah I would for peace of mind (in theory they are more familiar with the model than a general service centre - so, again in theory, should be more attuned to potential issues).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal