i30 Owners Club

Ipod via USB socket no longer playing

Ken1962 · 13 · 3599

Offline Ken1962

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Poole
Hi, I have owned a 2012 1.4 i30 for just over a year. I have played my 16gb nano through the media player without any problem, leaving it connected and all has been fine. Last week it stopped playing! I have tested the nano out of the car and it is currently playing though an fm channel via an ipod transmitter, but this uses the ipod power whereas when connected via USB it was also charging. I see some other people have had problems with USB sticks suddenly not working. The car is reading the playlist etc and I can merrilly change track etc but it does not play. Its almost as if its paused or waiting me to press play. I have checked the manual very carefully and cannot see a pause or play option. At the risk of completely embarrassing myself I reverted to Google and found this club, so joined and thought I'd seek your wisdom. Any ideas would be most welcome
  • i30 2012

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Hi Ken and welcome :razz:

Have you tried playing media from a USB stick, instead of your iPod nano? Are you able to borrow a different iPod to try in the car?
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Ken1962

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Poole
Hi, thanks.
I have just tried the original ipod shuffle which is basically a usb stick and it read it and played track one. It was not possible to skip tracks etc and when removed and inserted again it starts at track 1 but everything else was fine and I could change the volume via the steering wheel. I'll see if I can borrow something newer and try that. The nano works perfectly well out of the car and in the car via a radio channel. This made me think I may have hit a pause button, but I cant find one! Thanks for the reply.
  • i30 2012

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon: Ken,

I don't use apple stuff so can't help diagnose the problem.

The vast majority of our owners just use thumb drive/memory sticks which are cheap as chips now, per MB and can be left in the car with less fear of encouraging a break in (especially if you use a nano one, which if barely visible)

It would be a good way of testing the USB socket to see if it is still functioning correctly too... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sometimes the usb connection can become a bit sloppy so check your plug and give it a LITTLE squeeze to tighten it a bit.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
This will sound silly, and I don't have a nano,  but I have noticed that iDevices (depending on the device and the situation) will either have enabled/disabled their internal volume control when connected to external devices.   And that it will remember the volume setting for various audio-path connections (e.g. remembers headphone vs. speaker, etc., etc.)

I would have thought volume control would be disabled for USB output - allowing the audio equipment to control the volume - however...  have you checked the nano's volume when it is plugged into the headunit?

The reason the nano is working elsewhere and with the FM transmitter (presumably BT from the nano to the transmitter) could be it is switching profiles - and the one when the nano is plugged into the headunit has somehow been turned right down/muted.  Of course I might, actually make that more than likely, be talking complete BS/nonsense as I am unfamiliar with nano operation - but something to checkout and reject at least.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I have experienced intermittent but similar issues with my 2013 GD Tourer.

Occasionally the stereo will not recognise or play the Ipod, or sometimes it just freezes and won't do anything.

First thing has always been to power off the stereo, then power on after a good 5 - 10 seconds. Failing that, switch the car off and remove keys from ignition and try again.

In one case I actually had to disconnect the battery to get it to work again.
  • 2013 Tourer Diesel Manual

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I have experienced intermittent but similar issues with my 2013 GD Tourer.

Occasionally the stereo will not recognise or play the Ipod, or sometimes it just freezes and won't do anything.

First thing has always been to power off the stereo, then power on after a good 5 - 10 seconds. Failing that, switch the car off and remove keys from ignition and try again.

In one case I actually had to disconnect the battery to get it to work again.

Interesting - that a sat-nav or non-satnav unit?  In AU the non-satnavs are OEM AU units (designed in AU and only fitted in AU market cars).   So the behavior you describe might not occur elsewhere.   But still very interesting.

That is a point @Ken1962 - just out of curiosity is yours a satnav or non-satnav unit?
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Mine is non Sat-nav.

You could always try the old "firm hit with the palm of your hand" trick, usually done half out of frustration and half in the vain hope that all of a sudden the thing works - a classic method of fixing all manner of items in my experience.

Another good one I've had success with on numerous occasions is the "drop from a few inches off the ground" trick, but that's going to be a bit difficult with an entire car now, isn't it... :happydance:

NOTE: I am, of course, being facetious about attempting these "old wives tales" on your stereo head unit - this sounds more like a computer / processor issue which will definitely respond better to my previous suggestions.

Also, not sure if anyone else suggested but you can try "restore factory defaults" or take it to your dealer and get them to do a USB update or re-install of the software. In the AU version I believe head unit updates are made via the USB port anyway...don't know about yours.
  • 2013 Tourer Diesel Manual

Offline Ken1962

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Poole
Thanks everyone for the array of ideas. I did not try all of them! By chance I  wanted to use the cigar lighter and it did not work. When I plugged the device into the left hand side cigar lighter it worked! So I had my USB problem and the right hand side cigar lighter out of action. I therefore took out a load of fuses from inside the car but non were blown. I was a bit miffed as I thought this was defo the source of the problem. Anyway, I put the fuse box cover on and guess what. The ipod started working and still is. I am therefore assuming that one of the fuses was lose. Fingers crossed it will stay fixed but if the problem arises again I will keep you posted. Thanks again for you insights.
  • i30 2012

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the belated update Ken. Yes, some odd things do happen with  fuses and globes. I had a similar experience with the boot light in my Wife's tourer. Checked fuses, then pulled light out. When I was putting it back in it started working.  :crazy2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for the belated update Ken. Yes, some odd things do happen with  fuses and globes. I had a similar experience with the boot light in my Wife's tourer. Checked fuses, then pulled light out. When I was putting it back in it started working.  :crazy2:
You'd probably handled it a few times by then.
So it's right. "Many hands make light work"  :whistler: :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You'd probably handled it a few times by then.
So it's right. "Many hands make light work"  :whistler: :happydance:
That's brilliant Trev! :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal