i30 Owners Club

Rust on Rear doors - WARNING

JayJay31 · 38 · 13698

Offline JayJay31

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
My 6 year old i30 has got internal rust on both rear doors.  The Hyundai garage said that he has seen several cases of this recently.  Hyundai refuse to cover this under the anti-perforation warranty because the cover excludes anything above the bottom of the windows!!  So be warned... 1) there is obviously a manufacturers default on the hyundai's that allows the internal areas of the doors to rust. 2) these aren't covered by the warranty.  After speaking to the customer service team at Hyundai I will NEVER buy a car from Hyundai again.  To replace one door and repair the other will be £1,500.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is the limit detailed in the t&c's.

If not then surely covered
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I'm not aware of any internal rust on my 8,5 year old i30.

Do you have pics of the areas with rust..? I'm also very interested regarding "the cover excludes anything above the bottom of the windows"
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Mine is 6.5 yrs old, no problems...

Been the best and most reliable car I have ever owned, bar none. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Mine is over 6 years old. Lived all its life within a couple of kilometers of the Pacific Ocean with prevailing onshore winds.
No rust.

But it's a concern that someone in Hyundai UK thinks they can say something like it's not covered BELOW the windows.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
The Hyundai garage said that he has seen several cases of this recently.
That's interesting. How about contacting Auto Express who have a "Watchdog" section?

Martin Saarinen is the person to talk to and his contact details can be found about half way down the following page:

:link: About Auto Express | Auto Express
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
My car is six years old and almost always parked in the open. After reading this I checked my rear doors earlier and found no traces of rust whatsoever. My drain channels were clear of crap - blocked drain channels can be a cause of rust.

I'm not sure from the opening post as to which areas of the doors had gone rusty though. :confused:

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
My 6 year old i30 has got internal rust on both rear doors.  The Hyundai garage said that he has seen several cases of this recently.  Hyundai refuse to cover this under the anti-perforation warranty because the cover excludes anything above the bottom of the windows!!  So be warned... 1) there is obviously a manufacturers default on the hyundai's that allows the internal areas of the doors to rust. 2) these aren't covered by the warranty.  After speaking to the customer service team at Hyundai I will NEVER buy a car from Hyundai again.  To replace one door and repair the other will be £1,500.

Would it be the salt put on your icy winter roads that is causing the problem?    Salt water splashing up would not be kind to the metal.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Do they use salt to de-ice roads in the UK?

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Do they use salt to de-ice roads in the UK?

Yes, they certainly do.  Well it tends to be a mix of grit and salt, so that the grit drives the salt into the ice.

Even in my fairly mild coastal climate I see  gritter wagons out maybe 15 times in winter, even in the warmer winters.

Though modern rustproofing is wonderful compared to what used to be. Forty years ago a six year old rust-free car was rare. :)

I had a colleague, many years ago, who bought one the new Honda cars they imported. After only two years it had gone very rusty, The Japs didn't know we used salt on the roads.  :faint:

Offline JayJay31

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
They read the passage from the T&C's over the phone stating that they only cover from the bottom of the windows down.  I need to check it says that in my booklet.  I live in Bristol which isn't close to the sea.  I never use the rear doors as I have no children/pets and generally only drive to work... hence the 25,000 miles in 6 years.  The rust is internal and then it will break through the surface so you may not see it yet but it may suddenly appear.  The pics attached show where it is and it may not look much but enough for a new door. 

Offline JayJay31

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
This is the other door which they aid they can repair without replacing the whole door!

Offline JayJay31

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Taken from the Hyundai website...

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Warranty period

Subject to the terms and conditions set out in this programme, Hyundai warrant the vehicle against rusting through of the bodywork structure or body panels from the internal surface through to the outside in such a way that the bodywork structure or outer surface of the body panels are affected. This is warranted for a period of either ten years from the date of first registration of the vehicle for i800 and iLoad or 12 years for all other models. Anti Perforation Warranty covers all bodywork and body panels from the bottom of the window line downwards.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Cripes, I wouldn't bother with a lottery ticket if I were you, you've been incredibly unlucky.   :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber:

Offline JayJay31

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
It's not just me.  The service manager at my Hyundai garage told me he has seen several cases of this recently! This is probably why they have specifically excluded the top half of the car from cover!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
OK, so not covered, that is not very good, but it's there in writing. Your situation requires either you or a professional to remediate the cause and stop the rot in it's tracks. I wouldn't be replacing any doors.They both look salvageable to me.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline JayJay31

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
The Hyundai garage said they can repair one but the other needs to be replaced.  I could get a second opinion and try and save both.  However I can't afford to fix this at present.  I just want other owners to be aware of the clause that excludes the top of the car because if they are within their 5 year warranty then that should cover the top half.  So check your car before the 5 year warranty ends.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If you go to a car accessory shop, you should be able to find a bottle of "Rust Eater" solution. It's paint on and converts the Iron oxide into a stable non rusting component. At least it could arrest any further deterioration until you can afford a better fix.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The Hyundai garage said they can repair one but the other needs to be replaced.  I could get a second opinion and try and save both.  However I can't afford to fix this at present.  I just want other owners to be aware of the clause that excludes the top of the car because if they are within their 5 year warranty then that should cover the top half.  So check your car before the 5 year warranty ends.

Sorry to see your troubles. Maybe you can replace them with doors from a wrecking yard cheaper? :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Hmm, I wonder if there was a bad batch of i30s delivered to the Bristol area? Maybe had the rear doors not fully dipped into the various rustproofing compounds? 

I remember my early car-owning days, fibre-glass sheets and resin, filler paste, kurust, red lead paint and primer. Spent a good few weekends fixing up bodywork.  Haven't needed to do that for 30 years - and I kept two cars for over ten years.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Sounds like you just volunteered  :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Given the thousands of members we have all over the world,  I suspect that,  regardless of the service managers comments,  this is not a widespread issue.
To my knowledge it's the first report we've had.
I  agree with Phil. Easily stopping fom progressing and certainly not needing replacement.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
If you go to a car accessory shop, you should be able to find a bottle of "Rust Eater" solution. It's paint on and converts the Iron oxide into a stable non rusting component. At least it could arrest any further deterioration until you can afford a better fix.

Phil just took the words right outa my mouth  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Checked th t&c's in the book i have and states from window line down only covered.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
I had rust on a previous vehicle (wheel arches) but kept on top of that using Bilt Hamber products and P38/P40. I actually found it quite useful - after several trials, I was able to wet sand the filler so that it would blend with the existing bodywork. Then it was followed up by applying primer, paint and lacquer.

If you don't fancy pursuing a remedy from Hyundai, this could be a good option.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Given the thousands of members we have all over the world,  I suspect that,  regardless of the service managers comments,  this is not a widespread issue.
To my knowledge it's the first report we've had.
I  agree with Phil. Easily stopping fom progressing and certainly not needing replacement.

:whsaid:

I suspect QC was a bit patchy at the Czech factory to start with. We had a member "Hippo?" who had "rust" bubbles in his paint in an early euro build car... :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline c0mbat

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Kaiserslautern

• 2010 i30 1.6l CRDi Blue, 6 Speed
I've known about this problem for 2 years now. It's not getting worse, but €900 for a new door is too much. It's on the back drivers side (see picture) and one small spot on the back passenger door. Same spot. Nothing on either front door.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi Blue, 6 Speed

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
All look very savable.

I would be going to see a panel beater.

A bit of grinding and a small amount of filler should do the trick
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes and they can also build in some better rust protection at the same time, too.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal