i30 Owners Club

Rear rattle/creak on new i30 GD4 hatch

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
Hi,

This is my first post on the i30 Owners Club.  Last week I took delivery of a new i30 Active GD4SR2 with diesel engine and 7 speed dual clutch auto.  I drove the petrol model, then later on the diesel.  Having never driven a diesel before, I fell in love with the torque and the effortless acceleration up steep hills.  I returned to the dealer and signed to buy the car right there and then.

The car has been great, but after about 1500km a rattle has appeared in the rear.  It's more of a creaking sound when the car goes over bumps, and importantly the bumps usually have to be asymmetric.  A bump when driving around a corner always makes the rear creak.  It's probably the hatch flexing?

It sounds like a parcel shelf rattling and creaking, but I have removed it and the sound remains.  I tried to extend the two rubber knobs on the inside of the hatch lid that make contact with the main part of the car, but extending them too far just yields a 'boot open' message on the dashboard.  I placed some foam between the boot trim and spare wheel but the sound remains.

I have not yet folded down the seats or removed the spare wheel and its tools, but everything appears to be tight.

It's a minor sore point on an otherwise fantastic vehicle.  Has anyone here fixed a similar problem and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
  • i30 GD4 Active 1.6 CDRi 7 speed DCT

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Cluster2

:wttc:

There have been mentioned something similar with various solutions, but as your car is only 1 week old I would let the dealer sort it out under warranty. Just make sure it isn't something you've put into the boot.. :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
There have been mentioned something similar with various solutions, but as your car is only 1 week old I would let the dealer sort it out under warranty. Just make sure it isn't something you've put into the boot.. :mrgreen:

I feel a little sheepish taking the car into servicing with a creaking rear when otherwise it drives so well.  The minor fault appeared soon after the 1500km first service so I didn't have a chance to mention it then.

I might have a play with folding down the seats and removing the spare tire this weekend and see if it makes any difference.  Otherwise I think I'll put up with the noise until the 15k km service.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
 :gunwelcome:

Quote from: Cluster2
... I tried to extend the two rubber knobs on the inside of the hatch lid that make contact with the main part of the car, but extending them too far just yields a 'boot open' message on the dashboard. ...
Did you try driving after extending the overslam buffers?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
Did you try driving after extending the overslam buffers?

Ah, that's what they're called.  Yes, I extended them a few turns but it made the creaking noise worse when going over bumps.  Retracting them as far as possible has improved the situation.

It doesn't sound like the latch is rattling.  Not sure what else there is to try.  One of the hatch struts has a little bit of lateral play in it when extended.  Don't know if it's enough to made a sound however.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
There's been one member with similar symptoms who's had the hatch catchment/lock replaced (or adjusted, I can't recall the details).

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Check exhaust pipes etc for slackness.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
Check the rear seat lock mech.
Grab the  top seat and see if there is any play, the latch may need to have some tape wrap around it to remove play and hence rattle
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
Well, so far it appears I've nailed the rattling problem.  I folded down the larger of the rear seats and the noise has disappeared.  I'll go for a couple more drives to confirm and then try and see what was causing the creaking/rattling noise. 

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
It's sounding to me like what I suggested earlier to much play on the seat latch a very easy fix, just use some pvc tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Or

may be Parcel Shelf loose in its lugs and moving
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
This has to be the easiest rattle I have ever fixed in a car.

Putting the larger of the two rear seats down showed the rattling noise went away.  The ultimate solution was really simple: just put some masking tape around the latch on the right hand side of the vehicle.  Noise gone.

Without the tape the noise was still there regardless of the number of times I put the seats down and upright again. 

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
As @joebris suggested :victory:

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
D'oh - I saw this thread when you initially posted and didn't realise it was a similar issue I had resolved. :undecided:

Symptom: creaking noise from rear of vehicle, exacerbated when manouevring at slow speed over uneven terrain. Technician replicated the fault and explained the rear seat catch (RHS) was bent. He banged it a few times, applied tape and it has been quiet ever since. :goodjob:
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal