i30 Owners Club

The Red Outback...came to sydney

Lakes · 17 · 3616

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
 :eek: Hi all this is true, i woke up early this am for work, i looked out the window thought it was a red dawn!
For most of the day we could not see the sky. but it all cleared by pm. i have seen dust storms out west but have not seen one like this in sydney before. but have seen milder versions but ages ago.
a friend with a property out at Orange NSW told me it was raining mud out there, very dangeriouse on the roads too.
i even saw some Gallah,s in Sydney have never notice them here b4.
just thought i'd tell you do a google earth might see it at Broken Hill.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
been watching this with interest on the news

it came from South Australia, swept up through NSW, covered Sydney, then rolled up into Brisbane, and we even got it very minorly up here in central queensland, before blowing out to sea. they expect the air quality to be quite poor along the eastern seaboard for another day or two. i believe brisbane is going to get a wet weekend to clean up, not sure when exactly. on top of that it hailed in Canberra and there were earth tremors in Melbourne

the dust shut down sydney airport, brisbane didn't get shut down thankfully but had to cope with sydney diversions plus the dust. fascinating but dreadful to actually live through. w ehad a shocker of a dust storm up here last year and i spent the entire day in my bedroom wit the aircon on and a wet towel around my face and tripped out on antihistimanes and still couldn't breathe.
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Fascinating but also very scary to wake up to I imagine and that's without the health implications for asthma sufferers and others with breathing issues...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Saw the report on the box and in the paper.

The sand will cause many problems. I'd be checking brakes for sand getting between the pads and discs and air intakes for sand getting in the housing etc etc.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Saw the report on the box and in the paper.

The sand will cause many problems. I'd be checking brakes for sand getting between the pads and discs and air intakes for sand getting in the housing etc etc.

Hey Eye, it's not sand like mate, its dust, its like talcum poweder. but what we got in Sydney was just a love bite, compared to what i have experienced in the past in the outback. when you get a dust storm out there it blocks out the sun so everything is dark, you can not see very far at all. what we experienced was like a red dawn but was light and could see easy. but your right the air filters would be loaded up more.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I feel sorry for you guys. Seen lots of pics in the past 24 hours. I wouldn't want that stuff anywhere near my life.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i saw some n.s.w.  :eek: snow footage on the news,it looked like clay instead of snow.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I went to get into my car at 530am as I usually do, and it looked foggy, but it was really windy. Gradually as the sun rose it got more and more red. It was crazy.

When I went back out to my car after work, there was a THICK layer of dust on my black i30. Was NOT nice! Had to high presusre hose the crap off, there was no way I could have washed it off myself, far too thick, and I didn't want to scratch the paint!

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK
I feel sorry for you guys. Seen lots of pics in the past 24 hours. I wouldn't want that stuff anywhere near my life.
or any where near the car

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Also watched news today and yesterday about the "sand storm". Hope it's much better now..

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
definantly not a sand storm

it hit Cairns area yesterday. fortunately for me 98% of it completely bypassed coastal central qld.
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yeah not the right word, I know (sand storm), but It looked like one.. Unpleasant  :rolleyes:

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
or any where near the car

My car is definitely not a bright white anymore thats for sure..what irritated me was that not only did the windows, front & back verandah have a nice layer of red.. but somehow the whole inside of the house has it too...tiles, bathroom, furniture, skirtings.. the KITCHEN BENCH... wtf..?? :rolleyes:
  • 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I love that red Bull dust, it's Austraian Mate, the next day it was clear as crystal blue sky's and warm. my car was in the garage under the house never got a speck on it.
i live in the city but love all Australia.
cheers
ps. I should say i love that red dirt on the ground better :), i just like the look of it, blue sky, red dirt green tree's. we had an artist that sadly passed away named Pro Heart he painted it, i love some of his work.if the i30 can't handle it i'll sell it, but i think it can.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it might happen again next week. :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The only red outback I see here in UK are Liverpool or Man U supporters  :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal