i30 Owners Club

Normal Level Of Corrosion?

wbm00 · 9 · 3238

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
While washing, vacuuming and doing general checks, I noticed that the mount for the rear exhaust section looks more corroded than I'd expect for a vehicle of this age:

The third photo shows other areas with visible surface corrosion. I realise the vehicle has been exposed to two full winter seasons now and so some corrosion from road salts is to be expected. The i30 is 21 months old.

Clearly the heat from the exhaust will have increased the rate of corrosion relative to the other parts in the third photo. Is this normal, or something that should be mentioned at the two year service?
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I would say it is normal. As seen in the pictures there is no "rust protection" in your car. Therefore small rocks and other debree on the road will destroy the paint in the chassis. Do they salt roads in the winter where you live?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Fortunately,  I don't think they salt the roads anywhere in Australia. .. If it were me i would brush some heatproof anti rust paint on to the affected areas..?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
In my quest for a i30 Tourer in a reasonable condition - I took photos of the suspension/under-body to have a record of the condition of all vehicles I was interested in. 

If you really wish to compare - I'll send all the rear underside photos I have...  (I went to see over 15 and took photos of more than 8.)

However, all vehicles I saw (2 years old +) seem to be affected to a similar degree here in the UK.
  • 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
10 minutes at an exhaust shop, clean off the debris and re-weld, then protect with anti corrosion paint.

Don't forget to disconnect alternator  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
sundiz - yes the roads are salted in the UK over the winter months. The vehicle was built in the Czech Republic for the European market.

Daz and Phil - thanks - this is what I'd have done if the car was out of warranty.

The thought of coating the underneath (using a Waxoyl/Dinitrol style product) did cross my mind, yet the manual states that there was a coating applied at the factory and it actually recommends against using an additional coating. :undecided:

However, all vehicles I saw (2 years old +) seem to be affected to a similar degree here in the UK.

This is very interesting and at least there's nothing abnormal about my i30 compared with other i30s. Did you happen to notice other manufacturers' vehicles of a similar age to see whether they had a similar level of corrosion or did you only look at Hyundai vehicles?

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I took my (used) car directly to dinitrol treatment when I bought it. Got complements on that in the last mot. Also if you live near the sea, it can help the corrosion. I guess small particles of salt water flies from the sea or something...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
I took my (used) car directly to dinitrol treatment when I bought it. Got complements on that in the last mot. Also if you live near the sea, it can help the corrosion. I guess small particles of salt water flies from the sea or something...

How old was the vehicle when you did this and did you apply it yourself? If there was surface corrosion did you have to remedy that first?

It'd be interesting to hear from other i30 GD owners (if anyone has one that's more than 2 years old) to see if theirs looks much worse. I didn't need to raise the car (can't even tell where the jacking points are :undecided:) and simply looked under the rear bumper.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

It is just the salt air.. There is a certain amount of salt in the air if you live near the sea apparently. Nearly 30 years ago I had a house built about a 100 metres from the sea and my tools in a tool box in a locked shed used to rust quite badly! It was a windy, exposed location though...  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal