i30 Owners Club

Drivers door not closing properly with window up

Guest · 24 · 5595

wildviktor
I have this bit of annoying issue which only happens on drivers door also only happens when Windows are rolled all the way up. When window is rolled up I need to use some force to close the door otherwise it does not latch as show in the video bellow.

Video with window up (0:02):  :link: up.mp4 - Google Drive 

Video when window down (0:04):  :link: down.mp4 - Google Drive 

When window is down the door closes without any force at all I don't even need to pull on the door just let it swing on it's own and it closes. 

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Thats strange. My first thought was air pressure with window up but it seems that you are using reasonable force.

The only other thought i have, has it had any work done in the door? Actuator, reg, speaker?
The door flexes somewhat when window is closed. Maybe the striker latch on the B-pillar needs adjusting.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It's not a showstopper so I'd just put up with the annoyance and use more force :)

How is it with the window a couple of centimetres down/open?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

wildviktor
I need to roll the windows down at least half way for it to close smoothly or have something bit heavier I tried 0.5l water bottle in the sidebin. And it closes pretty smoothly. I took the panel off on both sides to compare if anything is missing but everything is there same on both sides. I tried softly swinging both doors to get a  feeling if they swing at the same force and they do. 

Door was services because the window have 2013 make year where others are 08. But it does not look like the doors were pained I used laser tool to measure the paint thickness and it's same across whole of the car so it was either very good paint job or it was just a window replacement. 

My suspect are possibly hinges I will try some grease see if that works otherwise I'm not sure what to look for. Looking at the door how it's positioned when open and closed it does not seem to be off place with front right door.

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sometimes the window frame section of the door can bend slightly inwards if anyone ever gets in and out the car using the top of the window for leverage, what happens if you give the top window section a little twist/bend outwards  "with window down"

wildviktor

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Support the lower door while applying some light force to push the upper half of the door ( highlighted window frame ) outwards

Sometimes the rear side of the door/window frame pillar can bend in slightly causing the problem you are describing, if it's not out of line with the B pillar at all then it could also be just air pressure like cruiserfied mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 17:50:05 by CraigB »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you checked /adjusted the door strike plate or the door lock position to see if that helps
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

wildviktor
Ok checked the strike plate it's well positioned/oriented/tightened I did push the part of the door a bit outwards. But neither showed any promise I also added some fresh grease to the hinges and nothing. Then I tried this it seems it's somekind of voodoo/witchcraft/air related thing. 

Here is the new video:  :link: thefuck.mp4 - Google Drive

The issue is only with that door I can have all windows up and open any of the other 3 doors and close them with ease. Drivers door well you can see from the video if all windows are up it will need quite some force to close, if I roll down any window at all to about half or keep any door open by a tiny bit the drives door closes without  a problem. 

:eek: :scared:

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

wildviktor
I'll check on ebay if theres a cheap replacement for the rubber.  Any known EU retailer I could get this from ?

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Unless the current door rubber is severally worn and interrupting with the door then I don't think replacing will change anything :undecided: a new seal/rubber would likely give an even better seal to air pressure.

wildviktor
What can I do then it's really annoying having to sometimes close the door 2-3 times.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Just a thought.

Re seal.

As they just pop out/slide out why not remove and see what happens

wildviktor
I didn't want to take them all the way out I checked they were out on two places so I popped the seals back in place but did not solve the problem. Still trying to find a solution.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Is this about excessively robust air sealing affecting the driver's door? Would creating other airflows help if not already there? How about keeping the car's air vents on 'fresh' ie open? Does that have an effect?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Try sitting inside the car with the door open, pull the inside latch and hold it open then gently close the door. It won't latch, but you may hear or feel some unwanted resistance which could be bouncing the door back when closing. If the door has dropped it will be quite difficult to close properly due to misalignment with the door striker.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I figured out what is wrong....your steering wheel is on the wrong side!  :crazy2:

wildviktor
Try sitting inside the car with the door open, pull the inside latch and hold it open then gently close the door. It won't latch, but you may hear or feel some unwanted resistance which could be bouncing the door back when closing. If the door has dropped it will be quite difficult to close properly due to misalignment with the door striker.

Ok I tried this did not find anything around drivers door that would be blocking it however. If I pull the inside latch and hold it and try to close the door I hear a weird noise coming from the back of the car as if rear compartment door was being slightly open and closed. As if the rear door would not be closed well. 

I forgot to mention when I drive slowly I hear a weird noise from the right rear side of the car as if something was moving around when going over holes/bumps. Lifted the car and everything is ok around the wheels.   

All this is some next level voodoo/witchcraft.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Did you buy the car new?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

wildviktor
Yes the door was replaced. But the car frame did not sustain any damage.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Yes the door was replaced. But the car frame did not sustain any damage.
I would guess the door isn't hanging correctly or slightly out in its size

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal