i30 Owners Club

Constantly replacing headlights.

Offline Little Mick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE NSW
As the heading says we are on our 9th set of low beam bulbs in just under 4 years. The first three sets were the "ouch my pocket" and they perform no different to the cheapies, none last longer than 4 months except the original fitted ones.

Tried fitting the same as the factory bulbs, brand and all, but still failure.
It was a heart attack moment when, driving in 90km wind gusts with a massive dumping of rain last night, my low beam decided to call it quits.

Is this a common issue? I was thinking of putting in a secondary power circuit to perhaps give the lights a better constant voltage and amperage.

Any ideas are appreciated, cheers. 
  • Oct-2012 GD 6 speed manual Diesel 4 door hatch i30 Elite

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My 2007 fd, son now drives it, is still on its original front bulbs.

Only replaced 1 rear stop bulb in nearly 9 year

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Quite a bit in earlier posts about this Mick. Is some sort of earthing issue with the light assembly apparently.  Some had it fixed (or a fix applied) under a TSB  (technical service bulletin ) in the UK, but not in OZ as far as I know. Never really established why it is only prevalent in the diesel, except maybe due to the heavier duty battery used? Do some searching/browsing in the problems or mod sections of the forum. Or search on google for i30 diesel blown headlight globes.. probably take you to various threads on here anyway.

One last tip. Cheaper to replace globes than whole headlight.. :winker: :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'd be giving Hyundai a hard time over it all while your car is still under warranty...  :undecided:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Buy long life bulbs. Light power is not so good as with regular or "high power" bulbs, but they seem to handle the stress in i30. Better to have bad light power than no light power at all. Especially as the bulb change is a real pain in the ass with FD. I used osram night breakers, but they usually lasted a month or two. Now I have been driving about 18 months with long life bulbs.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Quite a bit in earlier posts about this Mick. Is some sort of earthing issue with the light assembly apparently.  Some had it fixed (or a fix applied) under a TSB  (technical service bulletin ) in the UK, but not in OZ as far as I know. Never really established why it is only prevalent in the diesel, except maybe due to the heavier duty battery used? Do some searching/browsing in the problems or mod sections of the forum. Or search on google for i30 diesel blown headlight globes.. probably take you to various threads on here anyway.

I believe this issue was with the FD, I'm not aware of blown headlight bulbs being a problem with the GD...  :undecided:
As I mention in an earlier post, as your car is still under warranty I'd be letting Hyundai tackle the problem.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Phillips long life bulbs fixed mine.

:link: Philips Longlife EcoVision H7 | Replacement Headlight Bulbs | PowerBulbs

From memory I replaced the problem side with these at 82,000. It was still going when I sold her at 136k. I replaced the other side some time after that for the same result.

If their 20% discount is to be believed you will get a set for $26.18 with free delivery.

I do a fair bulk of my driving at night so they got a fair workout.

Problem solved  :cool:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I believe this issue was with the FD, I'm not aware of blown headlight bulbs being a problem with the GD...  :undecided:
As I mention in an earlier post, as your car is still under warranty I'd be letting Hyundai tackle the problem.
I assumed it was an FD, I'm on Tapatalk so can't see a signature.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Your problem isn't too low voltage at the bulbs, but too high voltage. The bulbs are 12 Volt but the car produce up to 14.4 Volt.

I have around 13,8 volt at my headlights.... Buying the longlife bulbs also improved on longevity in my car...  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Phillips long life bulbs fixed mine.

:link: Philips Longlife EcoVision H7 | Replacement Headlight Bulbs | PowerBulbs

From memory I replaced the problem side with these at 82,000. It was still going when I sold her at 136k. I replaced the other side some time after that for the same result.

If their 20% discount is to be believed you will get a set for $26.18 with free delivery.

I do a fair bulk of my driving at night so they got a fair workout.

Problem solved  :cool:
Same. Went to the standard Philips globes and all has been well for the past 12 months

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline scraggs1949

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I had that problem with my 2011 I30. The is easy. There is an earth strap to the body on the right hand side under the bonnet. remove it and clean it up and replace it. Make sure the body contact is good. This fixed it for me.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yep
Bruce is a 2011 I solved my bulb issues by putting a anti surge box on the battery,also allows me to weld on a trailer without unhooking or disconnecting the battery(mind you I still disconnect the trailer most times)
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yep
Bruce is a 2011 I solved my bulb issues by putting a anti surge box on the battery,also allows me to weld on a trailer without unhooking or disconnecting the battery(mind you I still disconnect the trailer most times)

Hi Rick,
Any chance that you would be able to show us a picture of the unit as it is fitted and perhaps a link as to where to get this anti-surge box?

Cheers,
Paolo

Online CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yep

Hi Rick,
Any chance that you would be able to show us a picture of the unit as it is fitted and perhaps a link as to where to get this anti-surge box?

Cheers,
Paolo
Battery surge protector http://www.projecta.com.au/Products/BoosterCables/SurgeProtectors.aspx

:link: Matson H/D Antizap Protector 24 Volt - MA224HD - Supercheap Auto

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yep

Hi Rick,

Cheers,
Paolo
Will do.not sure if you can get the ones I have any longer,but the ones Craig listed look very interesting(might have to update mine) :goodjob2:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal