i30 Owners Club

Sat-nav maps update aims to prevent stuck lorries

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
A multi-million pound sat-nav project aims to stop lorries and other vehicles getting stuck in narrow lanes and under low-lying bridges on UK routes.

Ordnance Survey is creating a database that will contain information about 200,000 miles (321,869km) of roadways to prevent such accidents.

The Transport Secretary Andrew Jones said the digital facility would launch before the end of the year.

But sat-nav makers will need to pay to get access to the full data.

"The new database will provide the sat-nav manufacturers with the ability to make journeys for HGV [heavy goods vehicle] drivers safer and more cost-efficient and that's a big issue for us," Richard Burnett, the chief executive of the Road Haulage Association, told the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37703556
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
My cousin's partner drives interstate trucks (B-doubles) in Australia.  His tasking takes him anywhere from Adelaide to Brisbane and anywhere in between along the east coast and in between.  His GPS is set up for B-doubles, and shows him which roads are suitable for his truck, including width, height and length.  It will only set his route via suitable roads.

For those that don't know what one is, this describes B-double trucks.

:link: B-Train - Wikipedia

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal