i30 Owners Club

I need a VIN!

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm trying to get a quote from Hyundai's website for a towbar by filling in the form and I can't get anywhere without the VIN! :crazy1:

Can anyone PM me with an acceptable VIN for an Australian 2009 i30 CRDi SLX? Mine's in storage and so are the documents. :blubber:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Never mind, I opted for lying about owning one and then blasted them with the information in the detail section. :victory:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
OK, post number 3 then...

I'm planning to fit a towbar in late December /  early January to get stuff across from Adelaide to Melbourne.
I'm now scouring the web for some easy to fit towbar kits, maybe even order one ahead of time.
My 2009 hatch has the original SR-style skirting which adds very little bulk to the rear bumper but the skirt can be removed easily since it's only bolted on.
The hitch type looks strong but this may be a once only job so the lightweight goose neck will do nicely, and probably cheaper, I think.
Any ideas? Anyone looked into this in the past? :undecided:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
OK, so you can all view my progress as I think aloud...

Here's what I found so far. Looks good to me but I still have to source electricals, although I'm positive I can reuse what's on my old Commodore towbar. :winker:

:link: TAG TOWBAR for Hyundai i30 Hatch (2006-2012) 1200/75kg | eBay

What do you think? Any pitfalls? :neutral:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I see I can get my pick of trailer socket for about $15 at SuperCheap  :wink:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:link: GENUINE HYUNDAI FD I30 HATCH TOWBAR COMPLETE KIT WITH LOOM FLAT PLUG 2L001

I think using OEM harness would be good for not cutting into the original wiring, also makes reverting back to original if you ever wanted to sell the bar or car without it.

not cheap but looks like the harness is available on it's own too.

:link: GENUINE HYUNDAI FD i30 HATCH + i30CW WAGON TOWBAR WIRING LOOM FLAT 12 PIN PLUG | eBay

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The Reese hitch would be better imo since you can remove the tongue but if you're only wanting a one off jobby then the standard towbar is considerably cheaper :link: Hyundai i30 Hatch & Wagon 12/07 - 05/12 Class 2 BTA Towbar Kit Brand New | eBay

Or the other option is to hire a Hiace van for the day :workitout:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hmmm... Thanks, I agree on it being the right price. :goodjob:
I'd be nice to know this won't require cutting into the rear bumper or skirt. Otherwise I'm inclined to remove them first! :crazy1:
Van? Two drivers, two fuel bills? :spitty: :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I cant reply in the Jessie topic :link: Towbar install on FD Hatch with pics as it's locked but that description looks good Gonz :goodjob2: just remember to paint the drilled holes in the chassis with some rust stop galv paint, that's if you have to drill :undecided: the holes may already be there :undecided:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 16:14:05 by CraigB »

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks, Craig. It sounds to me like the holes are already there. I'll have a go at unlocking the thread (didn't realise!). :victory:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Gonz if you have any additional body skirting(the bolt on stuff),you'll have to remove it,the only thing you have to cut is underneath the back bumper is a small stone plate,just have to take that off and notch it ount where the tongue or reece hitch comes out,as for the wiring few connectors and find the factory accessory plugs behind the rear interior panels and just use a test light or multi meter and plug straight into the factory loom,if you want to go one better search J-car and they sell the correst plugs that you set up yourself(but I just did mine with narrow insulated spade clips
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yeah, I guessed I'd have to remove something. At least it can go in the trailer with the car! :lol:
Cheers, mate, good info. :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal