i30 Owners Club

Caltex Vortex ...BP normal diesel

Lakes · 21 · 8096

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi all, well for the past few months i have used solely Caltex Vortex Diesl and my i30 CRDi felt great and performance was best it's been, it's all stock i have stock exhast system on.
then on the weekend i filled up with BP at a high turn over outlet , and i can notice it's less responcive, in the past i would chop and change between vortex and mobile and BP the BP & Vortex both felt the best and was very hard to tell the difference, but after filling with vortex the car would always feel good just was hard to tell the difference a lot. but this time after useing Vortex for months then going to BP i can notice. i'm going to stick to Vortex as the little car was flying on it. it's still going great just can feel a throtle responce loss. there is no economy gain or loss useing Vortex that i have noticed just when your got good throtle responce then you loose some you notice.
just thought i would mention this.

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
I try and stick with Caltex Vortex, but since receiving the car in May I've only had to fill up 4 times! (I fail at doing lots of driving - haven't even hit the 3k mark yet, but I'm close!)

Offline Twodogs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Where is caltex vortex available? Is only still available in Sydney and Newcastle?

Cheers
Twodogs

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
Where is caltex vortex available? Is only still available in Sydney and Newcastle?

I know it's available in my area - Illawarra.

Try http://apps.nowwhere.com.au/caltex/austlocator/search.aspx and see if it's available for you. :D

Offline Twodogs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
No Brisbane misses out!!

What is second best??

Twodogs

Offline Twodogs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I sent an email off to Caltex last night asking when Brisbane will see Caltex Vortex and the reply was December this year!! :)

Cheers
Twodogs

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Vortex diesel now in Canberra.

Caltex in Nicholls (Next to the Barton Highway) and Caltex in Tuggers (Kambah)

Offline Twodogs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
What is Caltex Vortex Diesel costing down your way compared with other diesels?

Thanks
Twodogs

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
What is Caltex Vortex Diesel costing down your way compared with other diesels?

About the same, if you look about. Was $1.22/lt the other day when I gave mine a drink. (Took 69.2lt)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Like Thumper said not much difference, but here in Sydney have noticed diesel prices on the rise, some Vortex outlets charge more than others, i filled up last night with Vortevx @ 1.19 then went past a BP selling normal diesel @ 1.22

Offline Twodogs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks Guys!

So not paying a price like premium unleaded.

Cheers
Twodogs

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hey Lakes

Are any of the places that you are filling up at saying anything about Biodiesel in the Vortex?

Up here in Newcastle the only places that have Vortex have the 'May contain upto 2% biodiesel' stickers on them so I don't bother, just run BP now. Not as good as what I've experienced with the Vortex but it seems to be the pick of the 'normal' diesel fuels.

Hopefully by next year BP will have their Ultimate in NSW.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Daniel, i'll check that out, must be why some are selling Vortex Cheaper the one you used to use on Woodville Road is still expencive so must be the real thing will go there next fill find out, i must be on bio without knowing but feels ok will check it out. but if BP bring there Ultimate i'll switch too as BP Fuel's can be trusted i use BP race fuel and it always gives me good results also a guy i know with an engine dyno that is always busy dynoing motors tells me BP fuels always give good results for him too and people that run Methanole Fuels have told me they only buy BP these days as have had no troubles its stored and packed sealed from water in air getting in, with Methanole fuel it takes in water very easy and motor runs porly you can do everything and can,t work out what,s up, then just change to a freash batch of fuel and everything is perfect. the nitro burners run about 10% methanole 90% up nitro, the speedway they all use Methanole ( what has this to do with Diesel?  :lol:) just the reason why i try BP more never heard a bad word. Caltex was good too but who know?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Are any of the places that you are filling up at saying anything about Biodiesel in the Vortex?

You sure it's Vortex Diesel? Not New Generation Diesel?

http://www.caltex.com.au/products_oil_detail.asp?id=278

That's Vortex Diesel. No Bio in it.

http://www.caltex.com.au/biofuels/Glossary.aspx?id=N

That's New Generation Diesel with >2% Bio in it.

There is 5% and 20% blends of Bio. http://www.caltex.com.au/biofuels/biodiesel.aspx

EDIT: The other half has been driving with the Vortex Diesel now for three tanks. She has asked if I have put cleaner in it, or something, because it smells a little different, less like a diesel, more like, a LPG powered vehicle and is quieter. (Less diesel clatter)

I have noticed a difference in the exhaust smell. The DPF and DOC must be doing their job properly.  :D

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

You sure it's Vortex Diesel? Not New Generation Diesel?

http://www.caltex.com.au/products_oil_detail.asp?id=278

That's Vortex Diesel. No Bio in it.

http://www.caltex.com.au/biofuels/Glossary.aspx?id=N

That's New Generation Diesel with >2% Bio in it.

There is 5% and 20% blends of Bio. http://www.caltex.com.au/biofuels/biodiesel.aspx

EDIT: The other half has been driving with the Vortex Diesel now for three tanks. She has asked if I have put cleaner in it, or something, because it smells a little different, less like a diesel, more like, a LPG powered vehicle and is quieter. (Less diesel clatter)

I have noticed a difference in the exhaust smell. The DPF and DOC must be doing their job properly.  :D

Hi Thumper long time no talk............

Unfortunately yes I have filled up previously with pumps marked specifically as 'Vortex Diesel' which have then also had tags 'May contain up to 2% biodiesel' attached. Which is different to the New generation diesel and the 5%, 20% and more % biodiesel fuel blends which i have seen from Caltex.............

I have sent an email to Caltex querying this and they have stated that Vortex diesel can contain up to 2% biodiesel. As a result I avoid Caltex like the plague. For quite a while now I have exclusively filled at Bp's and I am happy with the performance and economy thay they give.

Personally whilst it might simply be 'fear what you can't understand' syndrome I'd rather be safe rather than sorry when it comes to Biodiesel blends.........

Regards

Daniel

I'm really hoping that the BP Ulitmatre Diesel fuel gets here sooner rather than  later..........

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Caltex have a big add intodays Sydney Paper and it's advertising Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel, not one work mentioning bio, what is bio anyway? like we all use synthetic oil ( could this be classed as bio too?)
just wondering, interesting to see Fords new 1.6 CRD Fiesta that is due in december says ok to use 5% blends of bio also average fuel useage 3.7 /100k they have them geared very tall too and say they use low rolling resistance tyres and the car is lowered to cut wind resistace, i'm planning to test drive one.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Daniel, i have filled up twice since useing BP and i still feel the car feels slightly more responcive on the vortex, but as i have said in the past i can not notice a gain in economy but the price is the same, will check if has bio 2% tag on pump next time.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well i'm going west, way out west in the morning, and i filled up with Mobil diesel so see what happens, i was going to fill up at a BP i have used before but a guy i work with told me a Long range trucker we know got a tank of water in with the diesel at that BP last week it wrecked his motor so i by passed it.
mobil was 1.19

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well my i30 friends, seems i could be wrong about vortex pemium deisel, it's realy hard to explain, but it always felt more responcive on the vortex, i'm not  sure if Caltex has changed anything but Daniel said some outlets have 2% bio written on pump. but anyway this last tankfull i have is Mobil diesel but i put diesel power aditive in and in the past i never noticed any difference useing the diesel power i think it is supposed to clean injectors and stop Algea in tank. but my car runs just as responcive BUT have to remember was still some vortex in the tank , think i put 55L of Mobil in, i'll fill up this week again with Mobil as i'll be driving about 1,000k this weekend. could be the warm weather? as my car seems to really go now it's got about 47,000k up and seems faster now than at 35,000 and  it seemed faster then than new. i had some fun off the lights going to work the other day, i had a Golf TSI in front and a large truck infront of that was one lane as parked cars, had a new Mazda 3 riding up my tail, i could not go faster as the truck was holding us up so could not understand this mazda behind me riding up my tail. then truck turned off and we had two lanes and a red light i took the left lane the Golf TSI took right lane the Maz thank god took the Golfs tail. lights changed i got the jump but i was not going off as hard as i could have, the Golf took the challenge came up beside me i opened up and he could only just ease slightly say 1/4 of a car ahead i flat shifted and stayed with the golf then had to turn off for work i looked the Maz was well back. it was a hill climb off the lights so perfect for a Torque to thrust you forward, that would be a good set up on the Golf having the supercharger on a low boost for off line Torque and the turbo on a low boost for top end, they would add squeeze & the two types of forced induction would only need half the normal boost to would be under low loads. still not what i would buy if i wanted some fun , i think a REnalt sport pocket rocket would be fun, not sure how long it would last :lol:
cheers

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Well my i30 friends, seems i could be wrong about vortex pemium deisel, it's realy hard to explain, but it always felt more responcive on the vortex, i'm not  sure if Caltex has changed anything but Daniel said some outlets have 2% bio written on pump. but anyway this last tankfull i have is Mobil diesel but i put diesel power aditive in and in the past i never noticed any difference useing the diesel power i think it is supposed to clean injectors and stop Algea in tank. but my car runs just as responcive BUT have to remember was still some vortex in the tank , think i put 55L of Mobil in, i'll fill up this week again with Mobil as i'll be driving about 1,000k this weekend. could be the warm weather? as my car seems to really go now it's got about 47,000k up and seems faster now than at 35,000 and  it seemed faster then than new. i had some fun off the lights going to work the other day, i had a Golf TSI in front and a large truck infront of that was one lane as parked cars, had a new Mazda 3 riding up my tail, i could not go faster as the truck was holding us up so could not understand this mazda behind me riding up my tail. then truck turned off and we had two lanes and a red light i took the left lane the Golf TSI took right lane the Maz thank god took the Golfs tail. lights changed i got the jump but i was not going off as hard as i could have, the Golf took the challenge came up beside me i opened up and he could only just ease slightly say 1/4 of a car ahead i flat shifted and stayed with the golf then had to turn off for work i looked the Maz was well back. it was a hill climb off the lights so perfect for a Torque to thrust you forward, that would be a good set up on the Golf having the supercharger on a low boost for off line Torque and the turbo on a low boost for top end, they would add squeeze & the two types of forced induction would only need half the normal boost to would be under low loads. still not what i would buy if i wanted some fun , i think a REnalt sport pocket rocket would be fun, not sure how long it would last :lol:
cheers

Hey Lakes

The additive that you are referring to........ is it the Chemtech Diesel Power?

I've just bought some (not used any yet) but have heard many good things about it, I'm interested to see if the $45 price tag for a 1lt bottle is worth it............

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Daniel, yes thats the same additive, i've been told it's good too i've been useing it for 1 year on and off Eymateapot used it too we both could not notice a gain but i was useing it at 10z per liter ratio but on and off, the 1 lt pack has lasted me over 12 months. one reason igot it to use was to help stop Algea in the tank you need to get a small funned to allow you to pore into the tank, you squeeze bottle and it fils the small measuring compartment. i think they call it diesel power for people that have dirty injectors as it would help restore power cleaning them but, with a sweet runing i30 that has clean injectors can't notice a power gain but, if its keeping injectors clean and stopping algea growth thats good.
i,m going back to Catex Vortex as with the tank full of mobile diesel its not as responcive as with the vortex, i think when i full with vortex i'll know for sure if there is a noticible difference, but can feel car hesitate at low revs were it was more responcive b4 on vortex.
i just did a very fast hard 1,000k with a load and two in the car, very rough back roads some were dirt and i was giving the speed limit a good bashing, plus there were some big mountains to climb and peak traffic till katoomba friday afternoon i drove car to work and home yesturday and the fuel light just came on 1,040, will fill up with vortex this afternoon.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal