i30 Owners Club

coolant draining

Offline lawyblade

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
Hi just had to have a full timing chain kit fitted since I have got the car back my coolant level keeps dropping iv fell out of favour with the garage (trust issues ) as I had no fault with this . Bearing in mind my car as only done 54k
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 petrol

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Stating the obvious, it's going somewhere. If there's no obvious leaks around hoses , water pump comes to mind and it may be an internal leak inside the cover looking at the manual.

The workshop manual states to remove the water pump and liquid sealant (threebond ) is used on re-assembly inside the timing cover.

pressure testing the system can help find leaks .

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline lawyblade

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
I was told to run it a bit and then remove rad cap as their might be an airlock as coolant just got changed in the service before looking deeper issues could this be a possibility  ?
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 petrol

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I was told to run it a bit and then remove rad cap as their might be an airlock as coolant just got changed in the service before looking deeper issues could this be a possibility  ?

You could massage the hoses if you suspect airlocks.

Been quite a while since I've had a vehicle with that issue but Subaru EJ22 motor comes to mind and had side tanks. On that if there was an airlock it boiled, I massaged the hoses on that to sort it, was a PITA. Similar situation, no overheat issue, leaky waterpump, get it replaced , all of a sudden overheat, told dud thermostat, I said nup, he cuts it apart to make it bypass.

Real issue was airlock.

You could run it until it's warm enough for the thermostat to open and have the coolant circulating. Check the temp of the hoses upper and lower. If ones cold or cool and the other boiling hot that would suggest a potential airlock or faulty thermostat.

Personally if it was 100% good and some work had been performed and now issues, I would be suspicious.

Are we talking litres of coolant being  replaced and frequency?

Some of the instructions the manual gives.

" Tighten the radiator drain plug securely.
4. Remove the coolant reservoir tank. Drain the coolant and reinstall the coolant reservoir tank. Fill the coolant reservoir tank to the "F" mark with coolant mixture.(coolant 5 : water 5)
5. Fill coolant mixture into the radiator to the base of filler neck. Gently squeeze the upper/lower hoses of radiator so as to bleed air easily."
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline lawyblade

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
It's gone from the full indicator to half empty in 2 days but running fine ?
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 petrol

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It's gone from the full indicator to half empty in 2 days but running fine ?
Have you topped up then seen if it lowers again as it may just need that since work done
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal