Just Signed Up

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi,
Another Aussie here.
I've posted a couple of times in the last few days as I stumbled (?) across this site while I was making my final choice on what car to buy.
I signed on the dotted line for a 2.0 litre SX with cruise control today.
Wanted red but they didn't have one readily available in manual so they did me a silver one and waived the extra dollars for metallic paint.
It'll be ready for pick up on Wednesday (Monday now).
Trading a Subaru Impreza RV which has been a dream to own and drive but with almost 130,000 on the clock, it's time.
I have had some connection with the auto industry so had seen a few i30's around and thought Hyundai finally got it right (and then some).
I drove a Focus, Corolla, Lancer (all hatches). Didn't consider the new Impreza because it needed higher octane fuel.
In the early stages I set up this massive spreadsheet to compare features and then discovered Hyundai Australia had already done it on their website. :lol: :-[
My last 2 cars have been Subarus so it'll be interesting going back to FWD, although I've had plenty of experience with Renaults, Minis and early Subarus.
I'm retired (mostly) and live on the Sunshine Coast just north of Brisbane. Ride a surfboard most days.
If anyone's interested I'll file a few ongoing reports of my impressions after Wednesday.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Hi surferdude and welcome to the club!  :)
Good choice of car!
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Welcome 'dude :D :D

I came to the i30 after 3 Imprezas and I have to say I don't miss them in the slightest :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline bulldog180

• 4th Gear

• england England
      UK

• Cullompton, UK

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Welcome surferdude  :) They do look smart in Silver.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome surferdude from a cold and wet UK
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome from Melbourne :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Surferdude.. yes we would like your ongoing impressions please  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Took delivery today.
Was sad to see my Impreza go but consoled myself by going for a drive in my new i30  :wink:
Very nice. Only got 100klm up so far but meeting my expectations.
I'm not having trouble stalling off the line as mentioned in another thread. So far all good.
Tomorrow I have to find a locksmith who has a blank so he can cut me a non-electronic key to wear around my neck in the surf. Hopefully there'll be something to do the job.  I've managed to get steel blanks for Impreza, Liberty, Falcon, Commodore and Corolla in recent years so we'll see how we go tomorrow.
I have determined my 9'3" longboard will fit inside the car with the seats down so I'll only need racks for the sea kayak. Rola racks are about $300 which is OK.
Also, living in Queensland I'll be getting the windows tinted soon I hope. Local guy did our Corolla and did a good job a year or so back.
Couple of reasonable drives coming up. Friday off into the hinterland with my wife, then on Monday down through Brisbane and the Gold Coast to my Aunt and Uncle in Northern NSW.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's all good..sounds like you are going to get plenty of use out of your new baby..

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I'm not having trouble stalling off the line as mentioned in another thread. So far all good.

Think that mainly applies to the 1.4 petrol.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Tomorrow I have to find a locksmith who has a blank so he can cut me a non-electronic key to wear around my neck in the surf.

You could get one of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17245

But seriously, if you search their site for hyundai they do have some key blanks too, no idea if they fit though (dont have my car yet)

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

thats a bit worrying, don't want any one going off with my girl

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Think that mainly applies to the 1.4 petrol.

Ahh! Missed that bit. :rolleyes:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Took the new toy for a drive up into the Sunshine Coast hinterland on Friday.
We live on the coast, near Caloundra and we drove up through Landsborough on the Maleny road and through to Montville, a tourist trap in the green rolling hills on the eastern edge of the Great Dividing Range.
My wife and I shared a pleasant coffee, before coming back down the switchback road into Palmwoods.
Because my wife was with me (my rally driving past doesn't impress her  :razz:), I drove with something in reserve  :wink: but found the little 2 litre petrol engine had plenty of pull up the range and was very predictable on corners.
The ESP works very well, giving precise feel to the wheel at speed.
I also like the little ledge (not sure it's deliberate) where you can rest your right foot when using the cruise control. Most cars these days have a left foot (clutch) rest but not all cars consider what the driver does with their right foot when not on the accelerator. You need to be able to keep it close to the pedal for quick reactions and this little ledge provides just the right sort of support at the right height.
Gear change operation is smooth.
Haven't experienced any rough (potholed, corrugated) surfaces yet but the car feels like it'll handle them without misbehaving.
Have to drive down the highway to Brisbane, through it and down to the Gold Coast tomorrow. Different conditions, including city traffic.
Report to follow.
Have to come up with a name for him yet. :idea: or her........... :eek:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Surferdude thanks for going to the trouble of posting a report on your impressions so far.. I must go to the dealer and borrow a petrol i30!  I was hoping to rent one on my recent trip to Perth and Melbourne but ended up with a Corolla and a Tiida  :'( (but I am a cheapskate  :wink:)

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

thats brill surferdude, sounds like you had a wonderful day,

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Nice review surferdude, thanks for posting :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Did about 300 or so klms yesterday down south of the Gold Coast.
I like the cruise control.
I've been using cc for years now and am a big fan on highway stuff.  Many have a tendency to creep up a bit or not return to the exact speed when you hit reset.  The Hyundai one is fine, predictable and easy to use. And its +/- function is also very accurate.
I like the suspension because it's firm and gives good feedback but it didn't like the expansion joints on the Storey Bridge. Thumped very loudly.
Cabin is quiet at highway speeds and there's minimal road noise which means the radio is easy to listen to.
On the subject of the sound system it seems to have a bit too much base on the zero settings, which makes the newsreaders a bit hard to understand. I can tune it out but I'm a bit surprised to have it noticeable at default settings.
However, I'm clutching at straws to have anything negative to say.
A pleasant drive, made better by the fact that, on the return trip we hit Brisbane about 4.30 and got right across without any traffic snarls ( I don't use the Gateway Arterial - prefer to charge right thorugh the middle).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Another interesting report.. thanks m8.. wish a few more members would do that... :wink:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Bit of an update.
On Boxing Day, my son and I drove up to Gympie (up the Bruce Hwy from my home at the southern end of the Sunshine Coast.
Pretty heavy traffic (surprise, surprise) and from Gympie we went east to Rainbow Beach which is NW of Double Island Point and well north of Noosa.
The road from Gympie to the coast runs through the Great Sandy National Park and the terrain is hilly with wide sweeping turns of the 100kph + variety. Again, traffic kept my right foot under control but on the way back we had a clear run for 20 or 30 klms and I can report the car handled the sweeping (and swooping) turns very well. Easy to keep on line, not too much body roll and with 35 degrees outside, the interior was pleasant and cool. My son has a Mazda 6 Sports and the air was at least as good as his.
I get a bit of wind noise from the roof racks (but I use them almost every day, so no big deal).
Plenty of road noise from the Hankooks though. Be interested to see what they're like in really wet conditions, although i think the car's inherent stability will minimize any issues.
Moved past the 2500 klm mark on this trip.
A very pleasant drive.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds good ... and your son is impressed? Considering his car probably cost 10K more?

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
I went from a Subaru Liberty MY04.... And i would not go bac k for anythin my i30 shikts all over the Subaru....

An ild mate has a 2010 impreza and he says the i30 is better then his car lol

I THINK THAT IS A GOOD INDICATION LOL

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
His car was $36,000 when he bought it, about 18 month safter its original release.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Couldn't agree more, my i30 is miles better than any of the 3 Imprezas I have owned :D :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

His car was $36,000 when he bought it, about 18 month safter its original release.

Mazda make some nice cars but I think like Hondas they are a bit overpriced...

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I think the Mazda 6 was priced about right when it came into the country but agree Mazda has done funny things with their pricing of late.
Re the Subarus I had a MY03 Liberty - top of the range with sunroof and leather everything, six stacker CD etc. Couldn't fault it but at $49000 odd, no way was I evr going to buy one with my own money. This was my company car. Interesting story attached to it actually. The previous state manager had had it for about6 months and when I was hired, they told me their managers normally had SS Commodores and would I mind using the Subaru for a while. As I would have preferred the Subaru anyway, I agreed.  :wink:
When I retired I bought a near new Impreza RV and I couldn't fault it either except for some snatchiness in the gears in traffic and its fuel economy (or lack of).
I loved taking the Liberty up from the est coast roads into the Great Dividing Range - had some very memorable trips in it.  One of the best was a very early morning run from Pambula to Bombala during which some other guy decided to make a "race" of it. It would have to be the most neutrally handling car I've ever driven (including quite a few rally and race cars)
However, having said all that, the i30 feels very nice and predictable. I can imagine it drifting quite well when thrown in. I might wait for the next set of tyres before really having a go, though. :rolleyes:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal