Yellow Sticker fixed to car?

Shambles · 21 · 16017

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
What's this sticker thing? Is it some kind of big "l've broken the law" badge you have to have on your car? :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The yellow sticker is an unroadworthy notice. (not that I've ever had one)

Basically, and I think it is the one thing that is the same in most states...

If the police pull you up and identify your car is unsafe (say bald tyres) or illegal (say undue exhaust noise) they can put a yellow sticker onthe windscreen and you are not allowed to drive it until the fault is rectified..

Ash, no probs m8 it was a week day so 4 + me was about what I expected (maybe next time)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- thx Dazz
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The yellow sticker is an unroadworthy notice. (not that I've ever had one)

If the police pull you up and identify your car is unsafe (say bald tyres) or illegal (say undue exhaust noise) they can put a yellow sticker onthe windscreen and you are not allowed to drive it until the fault is rectified..

Who can legally remove the sticker from the car?

How / who can resind the yellow sticker?

If a yellow sticked car passed a Police patrol would they know if the yellow sticker had been removed?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Having never had one myself I'm only guessing but I think you'd have to take the car back to a road authority office or police station before the sticker could be removed so they could see the problem had been rectified.

If you just removed it yourself and got caught with the same defect you would get a BIG fine...

I did a google search (Aus only) for unroadworthy sticker and lots of info came up.. too much to wade through to get that sort of info (and it probably varies state to state knowing how things work over here)

AS I've mentioned before older cars in Tas don't have to have regular roadworthy inspections (even if 15-20 years old) but in some over states I think it's annually after they get to 3 years old.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

and it probably varies state to state knowing how things work over here

I know I've posted this before but.................

Why does each state have differing regulations/laws. 
Surely this must cause a problem when vehicles cross borders. 
Ok. States are so big so crossing a state border on a daily basis does not happen as it does here in the UK.

As an example.
I live in England but travel to foreign a country every so often - Wales - which is just some 10 miles away.
If each country had differing regs/laws I comply in my home country but once I cross the border I could be contravening a Welsh Reg/law.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eye ,

The federal (Australian) government is slowly centralising more stuff and working with the State governments to standardize the more important laws.

The problem is that it is very difficult to get all states to agree on everything. In some cases due to the different climates, different ethnic mixes etc.. Something that might work in one state might no work in others...

It's like shop openning hours. Tasmania for example has many shops open later in the evenings and on the weekends than say Perth W.A. which has a much bigger population (go figure  :rolleyes:)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Most of the state road rules are standardised now.
Only a few little idiosyncrasies. Like in NSW you can turn left on a red light after stopping, provided there is a sign saying so.
And no U-turns at traffic lights unless signed otherwise.
However, roadworthies are a different thing. In NSW, after 3 years of age, all cars need an annual inspection before re-registering.
As far as I know, no other states require this, just a roadworthy if selling the car privately.
And Qld has only just introduced a law banning you using fog lights unless in fog. Most Qld drivers have yet to become aware of that - or even how to turn their fog lights off  :twisted:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
In NSW, after 3 years of age, all cars need an annual inspection before re-registering.

Not with light cars such as the Getz...

RTA:
From 1 July 2008 the period for vehicle safety inspection exemption for new light vehicles is extended from three to five years. Most light vehicles, including passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles, motorcycles, panel vans, caravans, trailers and heavier four-wheel drive vehicles, with a compliance date of July 2003 onwards can be renewed without an inspection report for the first five years. Your renewal notice will indicate if an inspection is required.

• 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

And Qld has only just introduced a law banning you using fog lights unless in fog. Most Qld drivers have yet to become aware of that - or even how to turn their fog lights off  :twisted:

Here in UK there seems to be a fad at present were cars drive with fogs on even in the daylight.

It is against the law to do so but the boys in Blue don't seems to notice.

I've even seen a Police car with its fogs on when it shouldn't.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I've had a couple of yellow stickers over the years and even a red one (had to have the car immediately taken off the road on a flat top truck with no wheels to touch the ground).  To get them removed, you need to take the car to the 'pits' - to be examined - then they give you a 'work order' that lists all the stuff that needs fixing.  Then you go back, they check off the list and hopefully remove the sticker.  This was over ten years ago that I was still driving old bunkys - and the stickers were for tyres and removing emission control devices (I put on a 4 barrel Holley, different inlet manifold, removed EGR etc).  Even the red was easy to remove (put on new tyres and put the original carby and inlet manifold back on).  Things might have changed since but I doubt it.  I've seen some extremely dangerous mods done to some cars that would never get spotted by the cops.  One example I bought a Datsun 720 ute for $200, was in pretty good condition except for the head gasket.  I fixed it up, and threw in some Honda CRX bucket seats because the bench seat was cactus.  When I removed the bench seat, the old Italian guy I bought it off was pretty large, and he had extended the seatbelts with some thin chain like you would hang a pot plant from your verandah.  Too bad if he had a crash!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've seen some extremely dangerous mods done to some cars that would never get spotted by the cops.  One example I bought a Datsun 720 ute for $200, was in pretty good condition except for the head gasket.  I fixed it up, and threw in some Honda CRX bucket seats because the bench seat was cactus.  When I removed the bench seat, the old Italian guy I bought it off was pretty large, and he had extended the seatbelts with some thin chain like you would hang a pot plant from your verandah.  Too bad if he had a crash!

That's possibly the scariest thing i've ever heard  :eek:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
In NSW, after 3 years of age, all cars need an annual inspection before re-registering.

Not with light cars such as the Getz...

RTA:
From 1 July 2008 the period for vehicle safety inspection exemption for new light vehicles is extended from three to five years. Most light vehicles, including passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles, motorcycles, panel vans, caravans, trailers and heavier four-wheel drive vehicles, with a compliance date of July 2003 onwards can be renewed without an inspection report for the first five years. Your renewal notice will indicate if an inspection is required.

I'll bet the inspection places just love that. Although it was pretty easy to get a roadworthy over the phone, especially out around Cabramatta and Hoxton Park.
That change obviously came in after I returned to Qld. BTW. Define "light vehicle".
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
a mate of a mate gives out roadworthy certificates for $100 and a bottle of bourbon.give him the vin # and rego details,that's known as a bodgy r.w.c. in Victoria. :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

a mate of a mate gives out roadworthy certificates for $100 and a bottle of bourbon.give him the vin # and rego details,that's known as a bodgy r.w.c. in Victoria. :rolleyes:

He's a silly boy.. he'll go big time if he gets caught (just a matter of time..)

I'm not strictly a by the book sort of person but blatant abuse of authority like that gets me riled (his behaviour could result in fatalities)

Sorry.. I know he's your mate  :-[

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Yeah, he might think he's doing people a favour, but imagine if one of the cars is involved in a fatal accident hours after the 'inspection'.  Then the investigation finds the car was not inspected at all - your mate will be in deep, deep poo.  Worse case scenario - but the dangers and risks are hardly worth $100 and a bottle of bourbon.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
no,its not a mate of mine.hes a mates ,mates, mate.i only know the first guy.I've never had a car that has had a bodgy roady done on it. but yes it isn't the done thing and i don't think he will do it forever as he will get caught out.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

In UK all cars aged 3 years and over have to have an annual MOT of roadworthyness undertaken by an approved garage.

All MOT's are logged on the DVLA's computer and our boys in Blue know at the press of a button on the computer in their patrol car if the car they are interested in has a valid MOT.

Also, insurance details and a persons driving licence status can also be checked at the press of a button.

No MOT and or insurance = instant removal of the car off the highway and the person to the nearest lock up.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
In Australia, different states have different  rego requirements. in NSW we have three year b4 inspection on cars but Trucks have to be inspected yearly. they did not ask to inspect my ute for four years from new, i don't know why that happened but it did, first inspection for that was five years old. but we have RTA inspectors on the road that will pull you up to do a road side inspection any time.
i don't think Queensland have inspections .
i've had one yellow sticker but they did not put it on they gave it to me, as was on a motor bike and when i took it to RTA the ispector said it was ok and to keep the ok with me as cop's do not know rego requirements , was an old Harley and the cop did not know it was pre imission control meaning it was built before imission standards put into place here. same with classic cars

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

In Australia, different states have different  rego requirements. in NSW we have three year b4 inspection on cars but Trucks have to be inspected yearly. they did not ask to inspect my ute for four years from new, i don't know why that happened but it did, first inspection for that was five years old.
I can only assume your ute falls under the 'light car' category.. I thought 'light' meant smaller cars like the Getz, Barina etc..I didnt have to get my Getz inspected until it was 5 years old as it was in the 'light car' category.. I can't find any info on this on the RTA site..???
  • 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

In Australia, different states have different  rego requirements. in NSW we have three year b4 inspection on cars but Trucks have to be inspected yearly. they did not ask to inspect my ute for four years from new, i don't know why that happened but it did, first inspection for that was five years old.
I can only assume your ute falls under the 'light car' category.. I thought 'light' meant smaller cars like the Getz, Barina etc..I didnt have to get my Getz inspected until it was 5 years old as it was in the 'light car' category.. I can't find any info on this on the RTA site..???

hey Sweetbix my ute a falcon v8, i used it for bussiness, then changed it to private, that might have been why.but it has been inspected
 now as just renewed rego

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal