i30 Owners Club

Another Paint Problem

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Paint warranty should be 10 years (can't remember if the i30 is actually 15 years!), (it is part of the anti-corrosion) but you must get the paintwork inspected and any corrective maintenance performed annually or else the warrranty is bust, at least that is the UK rules.  Most folk don't bother as they want to repair every swirl, chip and scratch at a premium price :rolleyes:

I noticed a very small scratch on the top part of the sill on my new i30 and pointed it out on my inspection, before I drove the car away and it was noted on the paperwork.

What has happened now is the dealership informed Hyundai of the scratch and they want to book it in for 2 days to have the sill re-sprayed.  There is no way I want to go to all that trouble for the minimal amount of damage and I’m quite happy to just apply some Hyundai touch up paint to it, as going to all that trouble is just an over kill to me.

The thing is I’m a bit stuck now as they insist on re-spraying the sill for warranty purposes and say I won’t be covered if I do it myself.  Can we all now assume that every time our car gets a small scratch or stone chip, we have to book our car in and have the dealer’s bodywork shop do a professional repair for warranty purposes, or is the dealer just using scare tactics to get the work :question:

Cannot see I will have time to book it in this side of Christmas, so I will probably end up just touching it up myself.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Can we all now assume that every time our car gets a small scratch or stone chip, we have to book our car in and have the dealer’s bodywork shop do a professional repair for warranty purposes, or is the dealer just using scare tactics to get the work :question:

I had my whole drivers door panel resprayed last weekend by an independant bodywork franchise (ChipsAway). When I took her to my dealership last Tuesday for work on the steering I mentioned that I didn't want her washed (their valeters would normally wash the car) as I had fresh paint/wax on the door. They mentioned nothing about warranty issues at all.

I think they're trying one on by insisting they do the work.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Starseeker,

If it was a pre-delivery scratch, and they are doing the repair for free, you should definitely find the time for them to do it, in my opinion.

<edited to make sense after the thread split>

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Paint warranty should be 10 years (can't remember if the i30 is actually 15 years!), (it is part of the anti-corrosion) but you must get the paintwork inspected and any corrective maintenance performed annually or else the warrranty is bust, at least that is the UK rules.  Most folk don't bother as they want to repair every swirl, chip and scratch at a premium price :rolleyes:

I noticed a very small scratch on the top part of the sill on my new i30 and pointed it out on my inspection, before I drove the car away and it was noted on the paperwork.

What has happened now is the dealership informed Hyundai of the scratch and they want to book it in for 2 days to have the sill re-sprayed.  There is no way I want to go to all that trouble for the minimal amount of damage and I’m quite happy to just apply some Hyundai touch up paint to it, as going to all that trouble is just an over kill to me.

The thing is I’m a bit stuck now as they insist on re-spraying the sill for warranty purposes and say I won’t be covered if I do it myself.  Can we all now assume that every time our car gets a small scratch or stone chip, we have to book our car in and have the dealer’s bodywork shop do a professional repair for warranty purposes, or is the dealer just using scare tactics to get the work :question:

Cannot see I will have time to book it in this side of Christmas, so I will probably end up just touching it up myself.

If it is a brand new car and they will do it for free what is the problem?

If mine has a scratch when i pick it up i will be leaveing it at the dealer untill it is fixed.... Im not spendin $26k or so for a scratched car

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds a bit overkill to me... If the respray the whole sill and do a poor job matching you wont be happy..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Sounds a bit overkill to me... If the respray the whole sill and do a poor job matching you wont be happy..

Exactly Dazz and that is my concern.  I have to say, no one is fussier than me but I cannot be doing with it coming back worse than it is  :eek:

I know the work should be done correctly, but if it’s not and I am unhappy with the finish, I will find myself in a situation I wish I never started.  I had my last car for 12 years and it never once had to go in a body shop and the thought of having the sill rubbed down on my brand new car and going through an oven for such a small scratch, just seems so unnecessary.

I would have preferred for the dealership to ask me what I wanted and that would have been, give me some touch up paint and I’ll sort it myself and for my troubles, some free mats would be nice  :D

Three people I have shown the scratch to so far, has said they would take the same attitude as me, so why am I still feeling uncomfortable with my decision, probably because of possible future warranty issues.

P.S.  Apologies to the Mod’s for hijacking another post.  Thanks for moving.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My understanding is to retain the warranty the work has to be repaired to a standard acceptable to Hy. Usually this would be proved by an invoice from a firm.

This applies to "big" jobs and not "touch up" jobs.

However, if the paint work was identified at PDI then Hy will have an obligation to put it right so as to prevent any dispute at a later date if a claim was made which affected that particular area of the car

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

My understanding is to retain the warranty the work has to be repaired to a standard acceptable to Hy. Usually this would be proved by an invoice from a firm.

At the moment I am trying to get some rust repaired on my daughter’s car (not Hyundai) under the anti-corrosion warranty, which runs out next year.

Problem is, somebody hit her car a couple of years ago and it was repaired through the insurance company on the same panel the rust has appeared.  The accident repair was done at the bottom of the panel and the rust is half way up it, nowhere near.  The outcome so far is that the warranty department is aware that an accident repair took place and is now playing up because the car received repairs not authorised by them.

I am not saying Hyundai would take this view or how they investigate warranty work, but it appears to me that it is possible that some car manufacturers may be covering there body work with an insurance company, because when I telephoned customer services, they said they had no control on the warranty departments decision.

I don’t know why Shambles had his door re-sprayed by ChipsAway, maybe he had a dent and I can’t blame him for taking that route, I would probably do the same and save a fortune.  But with the experience I have had so far with body warranty, if I ever get involved in a shunt, I will insist to the insurance company that the repairs are done by an authorised Hyundai dealer.

Hope this Helps and makes sense about possible pitfalls.  As you can never be sure how good your warranty is, until you have to make a claim.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I don’t know why Shambles had his door re-sprayed by ChipsAway, maybe he had a dent and I can’t blame him for taking that route...

I had previously asked my [new] Hyundai dealer if they had a bodyshop or paint facilities and they said no, so I had no choice but to use an independent.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
In the Service Book there is a section for the dealer to stamp it at service to show that at that point in time they had checked the body work and are OK or otherwise with the condition.

This check takes place at 12, 36 and 60 months.

Section 5.5.4 states:
 "....In the event ...... of any ...... repair ..... those parts must be retreated by an authorised Hy dealer.   Failure to treat such parts ...... will invalidate the warranty in respect of the components affected by such replacement, repair or modification."

It doesn't say who should do the work only that the part is retreated by authorised an Hy dealer.

So Shambles to be safe, ask if you need to get your door treated, but as the steel had not been broken and the inside of the door open to the elements it seems not required, otherwise the door will not be covered but the rust rest of the car will be.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
i think it depends on the scratch
is it right down to the metal? if so then maybe hyundai have a point. but if its not then i don't see why you can't take it as is.

i find it ironic about all the fuss about treatment etc as i took my one/two week car back into hyundai to return the plate frames and showed them where the frames had scratched the paint down to the metal and asked if i could order a touch up pen for it, and they never breathed a single word about having it treated or done to warranty standards.

the reality is though cars get scratched all the time and many people never bother to get small scratches repaired, especially if they're in hard to see areas. they will just get a touch up pen. hyundai are being a bit pedantic here methinks if its a minor scratch
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Merlot

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hunter Valley
Warranty is like an insurance policy if there is a way out of them paying for it they will find it I think if you did not tell them about the scratch and touched it up nobody would be any wiser but as you have told them and they have offered the repair you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would touch it up and hope you never have a problem in that area. My Red I30 has paint problems same as another topic in this section but have not taken it back yet. I bought mine 2ND hand and ever since I have had it the petrol filler cap is a different colour and have seen numerous like it  but I suppose they can just spray the cap/door if I complained good luck it is your decision

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Australia - Stone Black i30 SX CRDI Auto
How many people on here get conned sold ......umm buy that aftermarket paint protection that that pretty little lady at the dealership is flogging??

That in itself actually voids the warranty on your paintwork ( from day 1 ) because you have modified the finish on your paintwork....believe it or not !

Eye30

Anti corrosion warranty ( or perforation warranty ) is only warranty item if the rust has started from the inside of the panel of concern ( not from the outside ).......I do not know where your rust is or has started.......just something I am making you aware of as that could also be a loophole for you or the dealership. Strictly speaking ( and I hope this is not the end case for you ) if there has been any kind of accident repair on that panel....the manufacturer is no longer liable to honour the warranty on that panel.
But, whatever you do.....DONT GIVE UP TRYING.
After 24 years in dealerships, I always maintained that if the customer kept screaming to everyone they would eventually get what they felt they were entitled to right or wrong!
If you do not get satisfaction with the service advisor - go over his head....to the service manager.....if still no good......demand to speak with the Dealer Principal ( this will take time as they like to be hiding behind doors - away from confrontations most times.......chickens ).

If you still have not got the level of satisfaction you feel you deserve.....tell the service manager to organise an appointment with the maanufacturers State Service Manager and/or State Paint Manager if they have one.
...........And if none of the above works......send a letter/email to their customer relations department
They will be very sick and tired of you by then and realise that the only way that you are going to go away is for them to fix your car.

Hope this helps you and anyone else in the future.

On another note

If your accident damage was repaired through insurance.......most insurance companies use repairers that provide a "lifetime guarantee" on their repairs. Who is to say it was not that panel repairers workmanship that actually caused the rust in that other spot in the first place???

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal