i30 Owners Club

I've only managed 880km on one tank

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
How is everyone getting around 1000km/tank?  The most I have managed is 880km.  I usually fill up every 7-10 days, averaging $50 a tank.

Also, gonna be a stinker tomorrow (temps nearing 40°C).  Air con is just going to drain the fuel unfortunately.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

ouri30
Also, gonna be a stinker tomorrow (temps nearing 40°C).  Air con is just going to drain the fuel unfortunately.

I find no difference at all in fuel economy with the a/c going.  Do understand it myself, but that is my experience.

Bob

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
same here
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Little or no diff with aircon on or off..for me either
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i have not really checked, but also have not noticed the  car used more fuel with air on.
are you filling your tank to the top?
also do you drive till the fuel light comes on?
i don't have much trouble going past 1,000 per tank full, when i fill up to top, fuel gauge stays at full till 250k to 300k, if i'm going easy driving carefull fuel gauge will be at the first 1/4 mark with 700k on the trip, then i get 200 to 250k for each 1/4 mark on the fuel gauge.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I've noticed increased fuel consumption with air con. Combined with less performance in the heat + hills in Newie all add up to more fuel burnt.

On my Townsville trip I had to give up on no air con, was sitting on 5.0l/100km, within half an hour I was up to 5.5!

I'd say it's because it's auto Pika, they use over a litre more per 100 than the manuals do............

880 for an auto is actually pretty good, but I'd like to know how you only need $50 to fill the tank, I'm guessing you might not fill it to the brim? You have to look out for the foaming which can occupy the last 10-15lts of the tank but quickly disperses.

If you aren't getting 55lts+ in your doing it wrong!  :lol:

Regards

Daniel

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I tend to fill up after the fuel light and after it starts flashing at around 50km til empty.

I stop filling when I hear the first click.  I've gone over it once and never again...major spillage.

Pip
I calculate you are buying about 45 litres (@ 1.15 litre) and for 880Km your economy is therefore approximately 5.2l/100Km.  This equates to about 1050 per full tank assuming 55 litres is a full tank.

So you are getting over 1000Km per tank!

For an auto that's outstanding.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

That's just gone WAY over my head that explanation, but I'll take your word for it  :lol:

Pip
Well, what I'm saying is that effectively you only have a 45 litre tank and the rest of us have a 55 litre tank, because you don't fill yours up!

If you did, you would get over 1000Km each tank, based on my rough calculation.

Actually, I don't fill mine up either because it's just too much hastle but if my trip computer averages 5.5l/100Km then I'm getting 1000Km per tank.  My average is closer to 5.0l/100Km so in that case I'd get 1100Km per tank, if I could be bothered to fill it up.  :D

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

OK so after the first click, how long do you wait before topping up?  Like I said, I did that once and I ended up wearing the diesel.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Pika

You don't have to wait long, 10secs max, then just slowly trickle it in (which requires a bit of patience) short quick squirts can also work until it's really full. You just have to watch the inlet carefully and see whats going on. After a few clicks I withdraw the nozzle until just the tip is inside the inlet, so I can see clearly down the inlet.

Reagrds

Daniel

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Wish i could get 5.5L/100km........ :rolleyes:

Me thinks those figures for an auto don't add up....

I have got at best 830kms to a full tank..(i mean FULL tank)

Actually my last fills are as follows...

9/12/2009      7.56
17/11/2009    7.32
31/10/2009    7.55
14/10/2009    7.27
14/9/2009      6.98
31/8/2009      6.75
21/8/2009      7.11
5/8/2009        7.09
20/7/2009      6.93

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I'm currently average around 5.7lt

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Pika

I filled up tonight with 5.8l/100km on the board, 1016.5km and got 56.10litres in. Which really = 5.5l/100km. Low fuel light had been on for about 10km and DTE read 90km.

The reason for mine being so high (compared to say Lakes which is about 1 whole litre less) is a/c usage, my trip to work is 25 km so I my figures normally end up aroun that for the trip as it's a half city (at the start) half country run in the morning, so alot of cold start drives. Then the hilly terrain of the Newcastle area doesn't help much either.

Not to mention enjoying the torque..........  :twisted:

I've found that a trip is alot more economical if the engine is already at operating temp.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm currently average around 5.7lt

That is Great for the Auto  :eek: :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I filled up this morning with, I estimate, 30km left in the tank.

48.77lt for $1.17/l.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Pika

How many Kms did you get off that tank? What did the consumption say?

I reckon you had nearly 200km left if you only got 48lt's in (Unless the autos have a smaller tank for some reason?)

I forgot to mention that last night with the 56.1lts I had the first click happen at 45lts, squirted to 50lts, then pulled the nozzle out and trickled in the last 6lts.

But for the auto that is a pretty awesome result.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Not sure as I had to put in $15 the other day.  Once it starts flashing after 50km til empty, I reset my total km's so I could see how much I had left.

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, South Australia
I've got a CRDi Auto, and I get about 900km / tank when using BP Ultimate Diesel.

With standard BP diesel I got about 700km.
Standard caltex diesel about 780km.
(I've used the aircon more when I tried these as it has been a hot summer, so that may have made a difference).

I'm trying caltex diesel again with Chemtech Diesel Power additive, and seem to be getting closer to the 900km again.

Note that I dont bother filling more than a click.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Nev, thats good m8, with my manuel i have not notice a gain in economy with vortex or diesel power aditive, but the motor feels more responcive. have never used BP ultimate Diesel as not able to find it.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hi Nev, thats good m8, with my manuel i have not notice a gain in economy with vortex or diesel power aditive, but the motor feels more responcive. have never used BP ultimate Diesel as not able to find it.

Lakes

NSW still does not have any outlets stocking it, I contacted BP and the cryptic response that I received seemed to allude to it possibly arriving this year.

However for the states that currently do have it (QLD, SA, WA) there has been a major supply issue and many have reverted back to standard.........

Regards

Daniel

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Wish i could get 5.5L/100km........ :rolleyes:

Me thinks those figures for an auto don't add up....

I have got at best 830kms to a full tank..(i mean FULL tank)

Actually my last fills are as follows...

9/12/2009      7.56
17/11/2009    7.32
31/10/2009    7.55
14/10/2009    7.27
14/9/2009      6.98
31/8/2009      6.75
21/8/2009      7.11
5/8/2009        7.09
20/7/2009      6.93
your only refueling approximately every two weeks,i assume you do small drives.the members doing better on fuel i think are refilling more often because of more distance traveled in one drive.if that makes sense.  :razz:

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, South Australia
hi Lakes,

Do you know the cause of the BP Ultimate Diesel supply issue, and when it will be resolved?

My car is missing that stuff!

Nev

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
hi Lakes,

Do you know the cause of the BP Ultimate Diesel supply issue, and when it will be resolved?

My car is missing that stuff!

Nev

hey Nev no idea m8, but i just topped up my tank with Vortex Diesel, i had 350k on the tank and am going bush from work friday so i filled it right up, it got 18L in, the 350k was all sydney traffic no motorways and i was driving for fun, motor must have been runing for about 7 1/2 hours doing those k's so happy. will do 370 in 4 hours friday afternoon, will check economy when i get back sunday.
hey the price of vortex went up it's now 1.29.9 a Litre

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

So I managed to get 915km on one tank of petrol, using the air con only twice (with temp set to 24°C).

Stupid me pushed my baby a little too far yesterday, so guess who ran out of fuel?  :-[  Luckily my brother was still in the area and he got me some fuel, but apparently I got air into something, so it failed to start for about 1/2 hour, but then managed to get it going and made my way to the servo.

Never again will I push to see how many km's I have left in the tank.  As soon as the DTE starts flashing, I'll be filling up.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
So I managed to get 915km on one tank of petrol, using the air con only twice (with temp set to 24°C).

Stupid me pushed my baby a little too far yesterday, so guess who ran out of fuel?  :-[  Luckily my brother was still in the area and he got me some fuel, but apparently I got air into something, so it failed to start for about 1/2 hour, but then managed to get it going and made my way to the servo.

Never again will I push to see how many km's I have left in the tank.  As soon as the DTE starts flashing, I'll be filling up.

Pika

I sure hope that WASN"T petrol that got you 915km!

I also hope your brother didn't get petrol for the top up.

I hope you didn't spend that whole 1/2 hour trying to crank it over.

There's been something said about a pump in the engine bay to over come this issue of getting air in the lines.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Sorry diesel. And yeah, we tried turning over until it started up.  Otherwise I would've had to have waited 1+ hours for RACV to show up and 'tow me' away from where I was parked.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :eek: :razz:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal